The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-29-2016, 06:40 PM

Default Pick the right tool for the job

First off hello. I am fairly new to this board. Nice to see so many passionate people in one play celebrating the coolest instrument in the world... the acoustic guitar.

A touch of background on myself. For many years I was a singer songwriter who fronted a few bands in the US. I released a fair few albums, toured a lot and called it a day when my last album in the US was released on 9/11. Not a good omen. I ended up soon after calling it a day and moved to Australia where I am still today. After a 10 year hiatus I am now in pre-production for my 3rd album release out here and 10th overall. Ok enough about the history. Now to my point.

This board will have all sorts of players from novices who never leave the coach to touring and recording artists. The one thing that I have found critical is understanding that it is rare for one guitar to tick all of the boxes for all your needs particularly if you play live a lot.

The three acoustic guitars that I use on a constant basis are a Larrivee D-02E, a Guild DCE-1 (both are mid 90's) and a two year old Epiphone Masterbuilt DR_500MCE. None of these guitars are what you would consider big dollar highly sought after guitar. I have other guitars and have access to many Martins, Gibsons etc.

While the Larrivee is without my favorite of the three and records absolutely incredibly it isn't the best axe live despite me ripping the first pickup which was a cheap Fishman out of it, then replacing it with a K&K Mini, and then ripping that out to favor a LR Baggs M-80. Live my guitar goes through a Radial Tonebone PZ and into an older Acoustonic JR. It's OK but not nearly as good live as the cheaper Epiphone which is perfect for my hybrid finger picking and strumming going through the same system. That guitar comes with the oft maligned E-sonic 2 pickup. It pairs up perfectly with the Tonebone Pre.

The Guild is the backup and is useful for some recording (particularly strumming parts) and can do pretty well live as well.

My long winded point is understand that it is rare to have one guitar that ticks all the boxes. Know what does what best. Some guitars might sound great live in a stripped down setting but not fronting a rock band. Don't be afraid to try everything out until you settle on what sounds absolutely best.

Also it is too easy to get caught up with the name on the headstock instead of just playing the hell out of what you have and finding it's perfect application. The biggest tone creater isn't the guitar, effects or the amp but your hands.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to the forum. The comments you made reference often covered topics on the forum (nothing new under the sun as they say), some with debates one way or another. Welcome your input.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-29-2016, 06:58 PM

Welcome! It's always great to have a new member and hear of their opinions and experiences. My own experience confirms what you said about the player and the instruments he or she chooses. I will say I have played some guitars over the years that made me sound better. Most of them cost more than I could afford.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-29-2016, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Welcome! It's always great to have a new member and hear of their opinions and experiences. My own experience confirms what you said about the player and the instruments he or she chooses. I will say I have played some guitars over the years that made me sound better. Most of them cost more than I could afford.
Nothing like having a Mercedes given to you for a test drive to only come home in the Corolla. Such is life in the world of guitars.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by animal eater View Post

The biggest tone creater isn't the guitar, effects or the amp but your hands.
Just an "at home" player here, but that's the size of it. Buy something you like and practice like heck for a few years. Does wonders for your tone....

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-30-2016, 03:40 AM

Welcome to the wonderful world of acoustic (and some electric) guitar community! Whereabouts in Oz are you? There are a few of us from "down under" on here.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:31 AM
Charter Member

When I quit performing I sold all or mostly all my equipment and bought a really nice guitar. I don't have to compromise on either my equipment or my music. The music is the thing that is thrilling me as I wouldn't be playing the music I am if I were still entertaining. It's been like a reboot.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 11-30-2016, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I know that for me it took a while to understand the different things that I wanted to do on the guitar and find those right tools for the right job. My guitar collection has some variety but my two main guitars fit me pretty well as a singer songwriter who plays guitar for mainly accompaniment. I think that the single thing that impacts my playing more than anything else is my level of technique and expression. The guitars I have are great. I am the one that has to continue to improve.

Best,
Jayne

Last edited by jaymarsch; 11-30-2016 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Fixed a typo
Old 11-30-2016, 12:33 PM

animal eater, are you fretkillr? It's the only mystery in life that has any meaning anymore.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to the AGF!
Old 11-30-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSemmens View Post
Welcome to the wonderful world of acoustic (and some electric) guitar community! Whereabouts in Oz are you? There are a few of us from "down under" on here.
I live in Brisbane by way of Los Angeles.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
Welcome to the AGF!
Thanks The Growler. I like your name mate!
Old 11-30-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I know that for me it took a while to understand the different things that I wanted to do on the guitar and find those right tools for the right job. My guitar collection has some variety but my two main guitars fit me pretty well as a singer songwriter who plays guitar for mainly accompaniment. I think that the single thing that impacts my playing more than anything else is my level of technique and expression. The guitars I have are great. I am the one that has to continue to improve.

Best,
Jayne
There you go. I have a band with an otherworldly guitarist. For giggles he pulls out a 1980's something Takamine the other day with a 1980's pickup, throws it into a PA and it just knocks me out. (He normally sticks with electric guitars). Point being is he is so good that it wouldn't matter what he was playing, it will sound great. The same thing is constant in recording. Go to Gearslutz and you'll see what I mean. Few people ever master what they already have before thinking the next unicorn is around the corner.

Last edited by Kerbie; 12-02-2016 at 05:47 AM. Reason: Removed masked and unmasked profanity
Old 11-30-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverrummed View Post
animal eater, are you fretkillr? It's the only mystery in life that has any meaning anymore.
Can't say I am riverrummed. The mystery continues.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
When I quit performing I sold all or mostly all my equipment and bought a really nice guitar. I don't have to compromise on either my equipment or my music. The music is the thing that is thrilling me as I wouldn't be playing the music I am if I were still entertaining. It's been like a reboot.
I hear you. The problem with my gig is i still get the greatest enjoyment from being a songwriter. Recording has it's moments and as I become a bit longer in the tooth, touring becomes a task, especially with a family and running an unrelated fitness business. Still... there are the moments when you have an audience singing a song you wrote word for word where it is all worth it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion