The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-05-2016, 12:46 AM

Default how is the sound of waterloo guitar>

Dear All:
i saw one brand is call waterloo, is it made by collings?
is it good? what is the history of that brand?
anyone try it?
Old 12-05-2016, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

Yes, Waterloo is made by Collings. They've been around for a few years. The first model was a reproduction of an old Kalamazoo guitar. They are designed to be a less expensive guitar...still built with high grade woods and techniques but with less expensive finishing methods.

There has been a lot of discussion about them on this forum and a lot of guys like them a lot. I've tried a couple and have liked them but have not pulled the trigger on one yet.

Use the search function on this forum and you will find lots of information.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:15 AM

I have the ladder braced WL-14.

Its very light, has a huge neck, and has a very funky and boxy sound. It's small, so it's not going to compete at your bluegrass jam, but it's a really fun and responsive box. Blues guys seem to love them. I like it for the jazzy and old timey tones. I use monels on it which seems to work better than regular guitar strings in mellowing out the tone a bit.

I think it's great. That said, they're pretty different than a typical guitar and I wouldn't want it to be my only guitar. But, as a complementary piece, it's delightful. It's become my 'take anywhere' guitar and I don't have to worry about it.

So, totally cool, but not for everyone.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:23 AM

Default how is the sound of waterloo guitar>

Go check julian Lage's recent YouTubes on these guitars. He likes them. I like him but I am miss a bit of low end on those recordings. Different stokes.
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 12-05-2016, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

I have the maple/spruce model, sound is excellent. Quick response, punchy, loud and very fun to play.

Last edited by stephenT; 12-05-2016 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handers View Post
Go check julian Lage's recent YouTubes on these guitars. He likes them. I like him but I am miss a bit of low end on those recordings. Different stokes.
He plays the model that I have and I agree with you that the bass is not prominent. Part of this is the design - the guitars that they're emulating are not bass forward instruments. However, some of this is strong selection. Light gauge phosphor bronze does not flatter this guitar. The monels do. Monels seem to balance out the frequency response so it sounds a little less bright and a little bit more warm and rounded. I recently retested this theory by putting on some non-monel strings and it was astonishing how much less I liked the tone. With the monels and a thick pick with a good bevel (Blue Chip CT55), I can really coax the warmth out of the guitar.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettWilliams View Post
He plays the model that I have and I agree with you that the bass is not prominent.
Yes, these guitars are not dreadnoughts, they are meant to be balanced. The beauty of smaller guitars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettWilliams View Post
I recently retested this theory by putting on some non-monel strings and it was astonishing how much less I liked the tone. With the monels and a thick pick with a good bevel (Blue Chip CT55), I can really coax the warmth out of the guitar.
Even better when you play w/ your fingers!
Old 12-05-2016, 09:54 AM

Get a recording king and save the money. Bill collings is capitalizing on these old guitars that are made with "purposely bad finish". You can get a Chinese made 000 or parlor that has that Martin vintage tone.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackNapier View Post
Get a recording king and save the money. Bill collings is capitalizing on these old guitars that are made with "purposely bad finish". You can get a Chinese made 000 or parlor that has that Martin vintage tone.
Not even close, sorry. Owned several RKs nice guitars. The Waterloos blow them away in so many ways. Quality of construction, tone, repairability (I've reglued a bridge on an RK, not an easy task since they are epoxied on to the finish, and this was a $1000 RK).

Once again, does this finish look bad?

Old 12-05-2016, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

This is my first video using my Waterloo WL12 - sitka/maple.

I'm using a BC Tad 40 which makes it even sharper, I get a better sound with a dill old D'andrea Pro-plec 1.5 m/m
Old 12-05-2016, 10:05 AM

Here is a clip of various Waterloos in action. Jeff Tweedy of Wilco has his own signature model Martin but he seems to play the Waterloos all the time now in the clips I've seen.

2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 12-05-2016, 10:29 AM

I think they are great guitars. I happen to be playing primarily 00's now and really enjoy them. Putting some Christmas tunes together right now and using my WL-12. Playing strictly fingerstyle and balance and tone is perfect. Playability is outstanding, as you would expect from Collings.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:33 AM

I've played all the Waterloo's except for the new Stella version and can vouch for the quality of the instrument. They are all made extremely light and have the same mojo as the instruments they are based on (having tried them side by side with Kalamazoo's and Kel Kroydon's).

Personally, I think there is better value found elsewhere (Larrivee parlour guitars, Recorder King) but if you want the vintage sound without the price tag or problems, Waterloo is the way to go.

I'm a fan of the WL-K myself; Kel Kroydon's are hard to find in decent shape and require quite a bit of TLC to keep them playable. So, for half the price of the real thing, the WL-K gets you what I'd characterize as a new Kroydon.

All that said, if I had the money for a Waterloo, I'd save a bit more and just get a Collings OM and live the rest of my life in bliss.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:07 AM

[QUOTE=talkgtr;5148451]Yes, these guitars are not dreadnoughts, they are meant to be balanced. The beauty of smaller guitars.

"Balanced" is a subjective construction. To me, any size or shape can be balanced with a relatively even distribution of frequencies. While I wouldn't consider most Martin dreadnoughts to be balanced, Collings, for example, builds quite a balanced dreadnougt.

Some smaller guitars are very balanced. However, I don't think the Waterloos - especially the ladder braced ones are designed to be balanced. While the x-braced WL-14 model hews more closely to a traditional balanced sound, the ladder braced model is far from it. It's got an accentuated mid range with attenuated bass and a little less presence than the x-braced model. So, to my ear, it's not very balanced, but it's delightful all the same.

Balance is overrated. Personality comes in the imbalance.

Further, I think a good player finds the balance in any guitar.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homme de fer View Post
I've played all the Waterloo's except for the new Stella version and can vouch for the quality of the instrument. They are all made extremely light and have the same mojo as the instruments they are based on (having tried them side by side with Kalamazoo's and Kel Kroydon's).

Personally, I think there is better value found elsewhere (Larrivee parlour guitars, Recorder King) but if you want the vintage sound without the price tag or problems, Waterloo is the way to go.

I'm a fan of the WL-K myself; Kel Kroydon's are hard to find in decent shape and require quite a bit of TLC to keep them playable. So, for half the price of the real thing, the WL-K gets you what I'd characterize as a new Kroydon.

All that said, if I had the money for a Waterloo, I'd save a bit more and just get a Collings OM and live the rest of my life in bliss.
WL-K is sweet - a really intoxicating little box - but I don't know if I could live with the tiny strings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion