The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-03-2016, 11:04 PM

Very sentimental about a 45-50 year old, beat up, nylon Aria bought back in my hippie days. It's been on so many road trips that I don't see any reason to part with it now.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:27 PM
Guest 2563

My wife is extremely sentimental over my Larrivee C-10. I never bonded with the neck even though I love the deep bass and overall sound of it. It stays in its case all the time and the wife says she doesn't want me to get rid of it.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:00 AM
Charter Member

I have a pending move (NYC To Asheville NC) and it would behoove me to unload 2-3 guitars. I am having a hard time accepting that some have to go, even though I have a preference for 1 particular guitar. Once they get named they are part of the family . To make the choice even harder I have a custom build incoming. Argggggg
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 12-04-2016, 12:13 AM

All my acoustics get used and gigged especially the J45 , SLG 200 and the GS Mini , but my electrics have stayed in the cases for the last year. Now I am totally an acoustic guitarist , would I sell them ? No , the two Burns guitars I own have been with me for the last 15 years and have been to most of my past gigs , one of them was a present from my wife . My FretKing JD has been played at a clinic by Jerry Donahue so it is a treasured possession to me. Finally the Yamaha SLG200s is hands down the most useful guitar I own and a keeper
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 12-04-2016, 02:20 PM

Yes , I have Two I don't really play. A Harmony all mahogany guitar that my wife played when we first met and a 64 Fender Jaguar I played as a kid. Then required as an adult.

Both still in great shape and very playable but I choose to cherish them.
I've advised the family whom ever takes possession of the Fender will continue to hand it down in the family for all eternity

guitars? yep still have some
Old 12-04-2016, 04:59 PM

My first guitar was a Martin 0-16NY bought new in '61. Though long gone I've a '71 that I picked up about 7 years ago. That one's going nowhere.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

Only one. A 1982 Guild D-40C my wife gave me for Christmas that year. Built like a tank. I'd probably play it more but the 1 11/16" nut is a bit cramped for me. I'd sell t but it wouldn't suit her so it sits under the guest bedroom bed at our river cabin in it's case.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 12-04-2016, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

My first "good" guitar, a 1978 Guild D-55. Needs a neck reset, not sure if the truss rod actually works, has a finish crack down the back and the bridge is starting to lift. I loosened the strings, stuck in in the its case and I'm going to think about getting it fixed. It's a lot easier to just let it sit and buy something new later on down the road if needed. I'll just keep it humidified and wait and see.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.

Last edited by TBman; 12-05-2016 at 08:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-04-2016, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

This one is in need of a neck reset too. I wonder if you do that if you can get wider string spacing at the nut/saddle? Probably require a new neck but if you're gonna do it?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 12-04-2016, 08:14 PM

Most definitely. My Seagull S6 was the guitar I learned on, and was my dads. I don't really like the sound these days but it's special. My PRS SC245 was signed by PRS at an event. I'd sell it for an LP in a heartbeat if it didn't have my name written on the back of it haha. I bought my '61 Thin Skin Strat 2 weeks before my father in law died, so it reminds me of him, and it's the one I've owned longest next to my Seagull.

But my most sentimental guitar is the one I don't have...a D28. My father in law played a D28 with me in a Gospel band for 5 years before he died. The sound of a D28 haunts me in good and bad ways. I honestly have such an emotional attachment to the sound of his guitar that I don't know if it would be good or bad for me to own one.

Last edited by Shades of Blue; 12-04-2016 at 08:22 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:01 PM

I'll go one better. Not only am I KEEPING a guitar for sentimental reasons, but I'm putting a couple of thousand dollars into REPAIRS on a guitar for sentimental reasons.

1956 Guild F-20. My dad bought the guitar around the time I was born. (A little before, actually). He bought it new. I grew up with it, learned to play on it. I watched him play it a lot. He loved that guitar.

Over time, it was on the receiving end of some rough treatment. In his later years, my dad became a bit of an alcoholic (partially due to senility). He played the guitar and dropped it a few times. Some minor body damage, but it needs a neck reset, new binding and a few other things.

Dad bought another guitar; a Yamaha Dred, but he rarely played it. It didn't play like the Guild.

After he passed away in 2011, I inherited the Guitar. First thing I did was find a case for it. (It never had one before, which was part of the problem). It is now in the process of being repaired and put back into playing order. I want to preserve the guitar as much as possible.

The guitar does probably have some minor historic value to a collector. It's a low serial number instrument built during the first year run of that model. (A model that is still being made today, although they call it the M-20, now.) So, there is a part of me that wants to make sure that the instrument lives on for its "collectibility".

However, I will never sell it.

I have grandchildren that I hope will someday learn to play guitar and when they are old enough, one of them will be the heir to the instrument. They probably won't have the same appreciation for it unless they see me play it, as well, so I intend to do that, and explain to them the family history of the instrument. I hope they never sell it, either. I'd like to see them pass it down to their children and grandchildren.
1986 Squire Fat Strat (Korean)
2004 Gibson Les Paul Classic
2007 Fender Standard Stratocaster (Mexican Strat)
2010 Guild F-47rc (Purchased in 2012)
2013 Home-made Stratocasters (x2)
2017 Martin GPCRSG
Old 12-04-2016, 09:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

Yes, but only one. I bought my Tak F-360S "Lawsuit" Dreadnought brand new in the mid seventies and still have it. I recently took it out of mothballs and had a new setup done.

It may be laminate b&s, but that Spruce top has aged beautifully, and it has a crisp but mellow attack.

My first D-28 was stolen from our home on New Years Eve 1985 and is out there in Craigslist land somewhere no doubt. That was the first "serious" guitar I bought, and the theft truly broke my heart, so much that I waited a full ten years to buy another Martin. The D-28 and the Tak dread were my beginning guitars and I will always cherish them. I don't sell good guitars, so the D-28 would still be with me.

scott
Old 12-04-2016, 09:49 PM

I bought my Ibanez Artist 2609 in a sale in 1976. I've played it for 40 years and will keep playing it inspite of owning a pretty expensive range of other guitars. It always sat on my couch, ready to be picked up by me and anyone who could play a few notes. Someone stupidly sat on it on New Years eve 2010 and caused a few cracks in the poly finish (wood is OK though), it's still playing and sounding great and it has never had any work done to it, which I think compliments the Ibanez factory Japan.

I will never sell it and am even contemplating being burried together when I die. It just doesn't seem right somehow that someone else will own it after me, still I might donate it to someone I consider worthy of it. Isn't that strange, 'worthy of it' suggests something of high value which it really isn't, I just don't want to part with it for some strange reason, I've had it for so long, in times of joy and times of sorrow, during which I've put my heart and soul into it, my trusted companion which was always there to cheer me up a bit when I really needed it.

Ludwig
Old 12-05-2016, 06:58 AM

Two of my four acoustic instruments are purely sentimental. I wouldn't keep them otherwise, and in a house with a "one-in/one-out rule" I am kind of hindered by having two that are permanent fixtures.

One was my mom's. It's a Gibson classical, and it's been through hell. The other is a beater Ibanez that I was told belonged to Bill Danoff. It's actually a cool little guitar, but I am engaged in a hilariously tortured effort to upgrade it. If I ever finish it, I'll share the story.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:45 AM

Oh yeah, I also keep a few guitars which I never will sell, a 1961 Levin
Swedish handbuilt nylonstring guitar my mother gave to my father in 1961
when he was 40. A really nice guitar I have played a lot, and still use now and then.
A 1965 Hofner bass, looks like a Fender P-bass, my first bass, never used
anymore but it will never go, a late 60īs Danelectro guitar which I used a lot,
just refurbishing it to former glory these days (thanks to Allparts who still carry spares)
and a 1979 Fender Lead I which I found in a pawnshop for about $75
in 1981 and it has been used a lot in different bands I played in.
They are keepers mostly for sentimental reasons.

Last edited by broadcaster; 12-05-2016 at 07:46 AM. Reason: typo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion