The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-05-2016, 07:31 PM

CF guitars generally come with a lifetime warranty to the original owner (with the exception of the defunct original CA company). That is worth something substantial, since many repairs on wood guitars are not even feasible in carbon. Neck angles cannot be easily fixed, if at all. So a drop of 30-40% from original street price seems reasonable in that light. However they won't drift either. When they are right, they stay that way forever.

Still my CF guitars are not for sale. I could not easily replace my 2001 model WS-1000 with the N1 neck very easily.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:26 AM

50% off list doesn't have much meaning for me and seems far too low with some exceptions I'll mention below.

I can understand that for dealers/resellers of second hand guitars, that 50% off list would be a very necessary and realistic price in order to flip the guitar and make some profit. This is what business is all about. You can't make a profit selling used guitars for your livelihood unless you have a really low buying price.

But that applies to professional resellers.

Selling direct from one player to another player, without the middleman, doesn't require a 50% cut, IMO. Yes, if I sell to guitar store or reseller, I certainly would expect they would ask or demand 50% off list. They are not interested in the guitar musically. It's an item they can use to turn a profit and put a roof over their heads. Certainly nothing wrong with that.

But selling from player to player--with no middlemen--a new CF guitar less than year old in mint condition should fetch much more. If it is the current model that I was already planning/thinking about buying new--I'd be happy to pay 80-90%. I might even rush to buy at 70%--especially CF guitars with stellar reputations.

Compared to 50%, it's a win-win for the seller and the buyer.

Selling player to player--a 50% reduction might still be logical ONLY if you are:

a) very desperate for money,
b) in a big hurry to make space in your house, or,
c) the guitar being sold has an odd track record of having almost no appeal to most other players. (I think some end up like that--that's just life--bad luck.)

I sold my first Emerald X7 with a center sound hole and got 85% of what I paid (mainly because I was soft at the final face-to-face negotiation meeting or it would have been 90%).

I immediately used the cash to fund another Emerald X7 which has the current design. Once I found the right venue for advertising, the sale happened in roughly a months time.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
50% off list doesn't have much meaning for me and seems far too low with some exceptions I'll mention below.

I can understand that for dealers/resellers of second hand guitars, that 50% off list would be a very necessary and realistic price in order to flip the guitar and make some profit. This is what business is all about. You can't make a profit selling used guitars for your livelihood unless you have a really low buying price.

But that applies to professional resellers.

Selling direct from one player to another player, without the middleman, doesn't require a 50% cut, IMO. Yes, if I sell to guitar store or reseller, I certainly would expect they would ask or demand 50% off list. They are not interested in the guitar musically. It's an item they can use to turn a profit and put a roof over their heads. Certainly nothing wrong with that.

But selling from player to player--with no middlemen--a new CF guitar less than year old in mint condition should fetch much more. If it is the current model that I was already planning/thinking about buying new--I'd be happy to pay 80-90%. I might even rush to buy at 70%--especially CF guitars with stellar reputations.

Compared to 50%, it's a win-win for the seller and the buyer.

Selling player to player--a 50% reduction might still be logical ONLY if you are:

a) very desperate for money,
b) in a big hurry to make space in your house, or,
c) the guitar being sold has an odd track record of having almost no appeal to most other players. (I think some end up like that--that's just life--bad luck.)

I sold my first Emerald X7 with a center sound hole and got 85% of what I paid (mainly because I was soft at the final face-to-face negotiation meeting or it would have been 90%).

I immediately used the cash to fund another Emerald X7 which has the current design. Once I found the right venue for advertising, the sale happened in roughly a months time.
ac, I think you are confused about what list, (aka msrp or retial) and MAP are. Dealers don't sell new guitars at full list, folks buy at street price, which is usually MAP, about 25% below list, or sometimes a bit less. If you are comfortable with a 10% discount from new price (about 35% off list) when buying a used guitar that will come with zero manufacturer support, than that is your right, but you are definitely in the minority.

I am also confused by your suggestion that a private seller can get more for a used guitar they are selling than a dealer. Did you really mean to write that?

BTW, I don't think you are allowed to say "flipping" on this forum anymore.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:35 PM

Neck angle is perfect. Action is low "E" at the 12th fret is 7/64 with plenty of saddle showing. Relief is .005-.006. Composite fretboard. Mint original condition and sounds great.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdb8847 View Post
Neck angle is perfect. Action is low "E" at the 12th fret is 7/64 with plenty of saddle showing. Relief is .005-.006. Composite fretboard. Mint original condition and sounds great.
Sounds about right. I would suggest listing at $1200 and see what happens.

Good luck.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:02 PM

Thanks Ted. I will post it and see what happens. Its a great guitar but I dont travel for work anymore. It kept me company in many of hotels over the two years I have owned it.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:26 PM

I picked up a pre-Peavey CA GX for $180.00 off of CL. I had to double-check with the seller about their asking price, and they confirmed it. I bought it on the spot.

This guitar has a wide nut, but the neck profile is very much like an electric. Not my favorite profile, but I plan to keep this guy for a long time. If I ever do sell it, anything I get will most certainly be a profit for me.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandstick View Post
I picked up a pre-Peavey CA GX for $180.00 off of CL. I had to double-check with the seller about their asking price, and they confirmed it. I bought it on the spot.

This guitar has a wide nut, but the neck profile is very much like an electric. Not my favorite profile, but I plan to keep this guy for a long time. If I ever do sell it, anything I get will most certainly be a profit for me.
Wow - that's the stuff of urban legend... kinda like the the days of the "barn find Harleys."

Quite the buy. Oh, and I see this is post #5 for you: welcome aboard!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber