The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-25-2007, 04:01 PM

Emerald Guitars

I just wish that their web site had sound clips of the guitars. Something in me just wants to hear one before potentially buying. Since they only sell direct, it's kind of tough to get a feeling for what you would be buying without some for of gratification before the buy. I fear that they'd sound boxey like a lot of smaller guitars.

If anyone has any experience with one that they have purchased, please document it here.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:20 PM

Just curious...some questions for the owners,
What about the neck, is a thin or fat neck ? Do they use actually fret wire ? If not, whatever they use, do they wear and how are they replaced ? How about neck adjustments ?
Old 02-25-2007, 06:53 PM

I posted three reviews of Emerald guitars (a Opus X 30, a Opus X 10, a Fusion)
on Harmonycentral.com, in case someone is interested. I have owned many Emerald, CA and Rainsong guitars (so many that I am ashamed to tell...) and
I love composite guitars. All three brands have their positive points. what to choose depends from your tastes. If you are a flatpicker and a strummer, I would suggest any CA or a Rainsong Jumbo. If you are a fingerpicker, I believe that a Rainsong or a Emerald would better suit your needs.
I currently own a Emerald X-10 and a Rainsong jumbo. I am very happy with these guitars.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:45 PM
Charter Member

Geraldo1000,

Since you have owned so many, hope you can help out a bit.

1. For fingerstylists, why would you not prefer the CA instruments?

2. Do you not find the Jumbo Rainsong too one dimensional? A previous reviewer seem to suggest that.

3. I'm looking for these things in a composite instrument:

a. Very sensitive with a full tone using a soft touch while fingerstyling.

b. Large dynamic range so that even though it has a full tone with a light touch, I can also dig in hard without the tone breaking up.

c. A balanced and woody tone with lots of overtones that's not 'tinny'.

d. Long sustain.

e. Good projection for leading music unplugged.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
PTL
Old 02-25-2007, 10:06 PM

I find that CA guitars, including the new ones (that I have played at Elderly, including the X) are very warm and "woody" sounding, but the trebles are a bit overwhelmed by the basses therefore I do not personally think that they are 100 % ideal for fingerpicking, Travis picking, blues fingerstyle.
My Rainsong Jumbo is everything but unidimensional. It is a powerful guitar but it can also be sweet and delicate when fingerpicked.
The sound is very clear and modern. I am not sure, though, that a Rainsong or an Emerald would be the right guitars for you if you are looking for a composite guitar that replicates the "woody" sound of a Martin.
CA should probably be a better match.

Last edited by gerardo1000; 02-25-2007 at 10:07 PM. Reason: grammar errors
Old 02-26-2007, 05:56 AM

You know, one of the best things about playing guitar is the sound. Did you also know that to me at least this is also one of the most infuriating things about playing the guitar. What I mean, in a long winded way, is that the same guitar can sound quite different to many people. Sound is subjective. You need to play a guitar to see if it satisfies your particular desires. I personally told a friend which model I liked and he thought that I was nuts. But yet I found the guitar to be superb.

Unfortunately, what I have learned from reading people's various comments concerning sound here is that my interpretation of sound often varies. Nothing beats taking every opportunity to go to stores and basically spend the better part of an afternoon listening to my playing as well as others and what they play.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:35 AM

Joe, thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts; the info is very useful.

When we decide to purchase 'the last 12 string that she'll ever need' for my wife, the Rainsong 12s jumbo is on the short list. I've only queried one dealer, but I was quoted a very attractive price.

Taylor 414e Ltd Claro Walnut__Takamine EC132C__Larrivee 000-40R__Yairi WY-1__Alvarez PJ85SC-DVS & PJ85SC-12DVS, RB30SC__Guild GAD-JF48__Seagull Model 12, S12, S6+ Folk, M4 Spruce__Ibanez AW-25 (12s), PF5CENT __Olympia OD?, OP2__Hohner Morena-HAM 712 mandolin__Flight Ukulele__Yamaha Guitalele
Old 02-26-2007, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeInLex View Post
Tusq everything.
I have one of the new COT models. I emailed them the other day asking about getting some replacement Tusq saddles (in black, since it comes with a black saddle).

I was informed that it's NOT Tusq, but a composite that they had made for the guitars. They USED to use Tusq, but not any more.

They sent me out 2 replacement saddles, no charge, that day. Great customer service.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:46 PM

Cool. I wonder if its something else from Graphtech that's new. You made me curious as to whether the sales puke knew what he was talking about. Went to their website and it claims that its Tusq. If it's something even harder / denser, it'll definitely make a great guitar even better.

Thanks for the feedback.....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber