The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-22-2018, 09:37 AM

Default Beginning Classical Guitar

I've played guitar, on and off, for close to a decade. I've gone from electric (heavy metal and rock) to playing primarily acoustic folk music, and I am a pretty good player in those styles. I enjoy most styles of music, and enjoy singing (though I'm not particularly gifted in that area). I've been gravitating more towards fingerstyle instrumental music. While I've tried to get into some of the modern percussive style stuff, it just really isn't my taste. I've done some of the Tommy Emmanuel TrueFire lessons and they've helped somewhat with dexterity, but "boom-chick" type music isn't really something I've much interest in mastering either. I really like classical music, and want to get into playing classical guitar, the most fun I've had so far in fingerstyle is working out some Bach cello pieces on my steel sting.

Long story short; what is a good, relatively inexpensive classical guitar for someone who isn't an abject beginner? And what are some good books/courses would you recommend? I've heard that the Cordoba C5 is a good starter guitar.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjackalope View Post
I've played guitar, on and off, for close to a decade. I've gone from electric (heavy metal and rock) to playing primarily acoustic folk music, and I am a pretty good player in those styles. I enjoy most styles of music, and enjoy singing (though I'm not particularly gifted in that area). I've been gravitating more towards fingerstyle instrumental music. While I've tried to get into some of the modern percussive style stuff, it just really isn't my taste. I've done some of the Tommy Emmanuel TrueFire lessons and they've helped somewhat with dexterity, but "boom-chick" type music isn't really something I've much interest in mastering either. I really like classical music, and want to get into playing classical guitar, the most fun I've had so far in fingerstyle is working out some Bach cello pieces on my steel sting.

Long story short; what is a good, relatively inexpensive classical guitar for someone who isn't an abject beginner? And what are some good books/courses would you recommend? I've heard that the Cordoba C5 is a good starter guitar.
I, too, am relatively new to classical guitar, although I did take a few lessons about 10 years ago. At that time I bought a used Alhambra 4P(3?). My instructor said it was a good guitar although I found myself prefering steel string finger-style very rapidly and sold the Alhambra. Since that time I've flirted with the idea of nylon to save my fingers, but didn't find what I liked, but recently I purchase a 2001 La Patrie Collection classical guitar that has become my go to. New they go for $700 but I bought myine on Reverb for less than $400.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:40 AM

The C5 impressed me as a loud guitar. Does that makes it a better guitar? I parted from my Cadete for that reason - too darned lively. But I bet a C5 can be had for a steal of a price.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:18 AM

I picked up a like new with gig bag c5 with fishman electronics and cutaway for just under $300. They are a decent guitar later this year Im going to up grade to a c9.
seagull mjm6
alvarez mfa66CE
recording king ro-310
Taylor 312ce IBANEZ AF95FM
Old 02-22-2018, 11:38 AM

I too am starting classical guitar. I bought a piece of crap of local classifieds on a whim for $80 and quickly resold it. I was in GC the other day and was blown away by a Cordoba C7. Sounded much better than the C5 they had. I got home and started poking around on Reverb. I found this deal:

https://reverb.com/item/10085674-cor...natural-finish

$320 shipped is pretty tough to beat. I think it is new, they just got a shipment without gig bags, so they can let them go pretty cheap. The shop has good reviews. I placed an order and it should be here next week.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:03 PM

Do yourself a favor and get the book "Pumping Nylon" by Scott Tennant. It's available in standard notation or TAB. There's also a DVD available, but it's more of a supplement to the book than a standalone item.

Dave
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 02-22-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
Do yourself a favor and get the book "Pumping Nylon" by Scott Tennant. It's available in standard notation or TAB. There's also a DVD available, but it's more of a supplement to the book than a standalone item.

Dave
Thanks for the suggestion - just ordered. I've been working my way through the Parkening method volume 1.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmatt83 View Post
I too am starting classical guitar. I bought a piece of crap of local classifieds on a whim for $80 and quickly resold it. I was in GC the other day and was blown away by a Cordoba C7. Sounded much better than the C5 they had. I got home and started poking around on Reverb. I found this deal:

https://reverb.com/item/10085674-cor...natural-finish

$320 shipped is pretty tough to beat. I think it is new, they just got a shipment without gig bags, so they can let them go pretty cheap. The shop has good reviews. I placed an order and it should be here next week.
Thanks for the info! I think I'll keep my eye out for a C7 since it seems to be a decent step up from the lower tier instruments.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:53 PM
Guest 2143

I played many classical guitars when contemplating what to buy and liked the Cordoba C9 the best. I found it to be a significant step up in terms of tone from the C7 models I tried. I also liked the C9 better than the C10. I was not able to find any higher end guitars to try, but the C9 was my favorite by a long shot of those I was able to get my hands on.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:05 AM

It IS a great time to get a used Cordoba, C5 especially, but probably a c7 or other- I like Guitar Center because they'll refund if there's anything wrong. I got both a C5 and Cadete the past few years on ebay- really on the cheap because of unglued saddles, and new condition otherwise. I re-glued with regular Elmers Wood Glue and both have held up just fine- maybe two and three years now.

For beginning fingerstyle and beyond-the Guiliani Finger exercises are indispensable, and I've always like music books with an accompanying CD so you can hear just how bad you sound.....
Old 03-03-2018, 01:26 AM

Location: Nowhere man please listen you don't know what you're missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post

Dave
Let me also chime in and second this suggestion. Pay particular attention to his discussion about nail shape. The quality of the tone I was getting changed dramatically for the positive after I read it. I wish this book had been published when I was beginning classical guitar.

Last edited by Song Writer; 03-03-2018 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Sin tax
Old 03-03-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song Writer View Post
Let me also chime in and second this suggestion. Pay particular attention to his discussion about nail shape. The quality of the tone I was getting changed dramatically for the positive after I read it. I wish this book had been published when I was beginning classical guitar.
Or you could go the nail-less way and not worry about it: https://rmclassicalguitar.com/
Old 03-04-2018, 08:57 PM

Location: Nowhere man please listen you don't know what you're missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwayne View Post
Or you could go the nail-less way and not worry about it: https://rmclassicalguitar.com/
Having tried this before I do not believe it is the correct way to play the instrument. Or to terribly rephrase The Bard, "The notch is the thing, wherein I'll catch the conscience of a string."
Old 03-04-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmatt83 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion - just ordered. I've been working my way through the Parkening method volume 1.
Parkening 1 and 2, and pumping nylon will get you where you want to go.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical