The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-19-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
There are ways to reinforce a broken headstock, as well as making the repair in the first place. Since it's already repaired you're mostly stuck with the quality of that repair. It may be fine. A finished replacement neck from Martin is going to be more than $1,000, plus the work to install it. An aftermarket neck will work too as long as you have a repairman/builder who can execute the work. My first, and cheapest, impulse to save the original neck and reinforce the break if necessary. Replacing the neck is no small undertaking.
What Todd said.

Not being able to guarantee that the existing repair will not hold forever is not the same thing as saying it is going to break again.

My advise is that you've already paid to have it repaired as it is. Unless you find the cosmetics of it objectionable, I'd leave it be and play it as you wish, tuning it up and down as you wish.

If it breaks again, I'd then have it repaired in such a way that it will likely last the lifetime of the instrument. As Todd stated, there are ways to reinforce a broken head, none of which were employed in this repair. Done well, the repair could be virtually invisible and without much chance of it breaking again - it'd be stronger than it originally was prior to the break.

Replacing the entire neck is unnecessary.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOCS View Post
This is what it looked like before the repair:

https://imgur.com/OR8i3Sm

And this is what it looks like now:

https://imgur.com/a/GMzNS
Step 1) get your money back from your repair guy

Sorry but that is a terrible repair job and I wouldn't trust it just based on the appearance.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-19-2018, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Use the insurance money to buy a new guitar and use the repaired one as your' beater.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:30 AM

I'm no expert when it comes to repairs or woodworking in general, but my guy, who's also a luthier, claimed even before hand that fixing this to such an extent that it would be structurally as stable as before couldn't be guaranteed due to the complications with the way the break happened.

It holds for now, I'm not too certain this will be the way it should be forever.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
And this is what it looks like now:

https://imgur.com/a/GMzNS
That's a poor repair job. Most such breaks can be repaired invisibly except for the glue line at the joint.

Get it redone.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:42 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I do all my own repairs.

Really a pity it's so far to ship Bruce, that repair is gobsmacking.
- I'm assuming those are metric bolts !
Old 02-19-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
... my guy, who's also a luthier, claimed even before hand that fixing this to such an extent that it would be structurally as stable as before couldn't be guaranteed due to the complications with the way the break happened.
Then you would need to take it elsewhere to get a repair that can be as strong or stronger than the original prior to the break. To achieve that, there is more to be done that simply squeezing glue onto the surfaces and clamping together as best as they can be.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:56 AM

It may be surprising, but, C F Martin sells rough shaped Martin necks.

I bought these Martin shaped necks from the Guitar Makers Connection (GMC) at C F Martin. They are technically rejects that I hand picked. They may have a pin knot or some cosmetic flaw that Martin doesn't want to put on a guitar, send to a dealer, and have a persnickety customer return.

They sell for $70 or $80. You can call the main Martin number, ask for GMC and they will pick one for you and even send you photos for approval.

L to R: Std (D-28), Authentic, Terz

https://i.imgur.com/s30E0DG.jpg
Old 02-19-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessupe View Post
http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and...tar_Necks.html

http://www.lmii.com/products/mostly-...s/carved-necks

Just not sure if you can marry the dovetails

You might try contacting Martin to see if they will sell you a neck
Perhaps Martin is selling parts again. I'm not sure.

Back in Sept. 2011, I called and spoke to the lady who was handling parts at that time. She told me that I was in luck and that I would be getting the last available one and that sales of parts would be stopped to civilians like myself in November. This policy may have changed since then.

That being the case, I also ordered two of the old style D-28 bridges and saddles at the same time. (These bridges are the ones pre-1965 with the long saddle that was originally glued in) To my surprise when the bridges arrived along with the fingerboard, they were the long type, but made so that the saddle was a drop in.

As to a neck, the ones at Stew Mac and LMI would be just fine so long as you make sure to order the appropriate scale length. The dovetail match won't be a problem since you need to shim the dovetails anyway.

Regarding the neck decal on the headstock, you can bandsaw the cover plate off with the decal on it and use it on the new neck. It's been done.

I would certainly replace the neck. With care, the instrument will be fine.

Oh, LMI also has beautiful fingerboards. I have one on my 1962 D-28 as we speak. Yes, I could have made my own but the wood would have cost me more than a finished unit from LMI, which is a great company, by the way.

EDIT: Oops. I just noticed that the OP is in Denmark. I'm certain that there are good luthiers in that country. It's tough to order things from overseas and with the shipping, costs can get out of hand.

There is lots of good advice about how a broken neck can be fixed and it's true that such good work will hold. Nonetheless, I'd never be satisfied with a guitar with a repaired broken neck.

Last edited by Zigeuner; 02-19-2018 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:17 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigeuner View Post
Perhaps Martin is selling parts again. I'm not sure.
Martin doesn't sell "first quality" replacement parts to the public. Only Authorized repairmen can those. However, as Jon mentioned above, the Guitar Maker's Connection sells perfectly serviceable parts at very low prices. These parts are all structurally sound and some only very minor cosmetic defects, very minor.

However, going from parts to a properly finished and fitted neck is a long journey. A capable repairman can do it, but not terribly cheaply, cheaper than Martin though. Finding a capable repairman is an adventure in and of itself.

BTW, the repair photos on the OP's guitar look awful. It may hold, but I'd be extremely dissatisfied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigeuner View Post
There is lots of good advice about how a broken neck can be fixed and it's true that such good work will hold. Nonetheless, I'd never be satisfied with a guitar with a repaired broken neck.
Done correctly it wouldn't bother me at all, but I play a lot of "less than perfect" vintage guitars. I try to take a fairly pragmatic view, although I too have some hangups that are more personal preference than rational conclusions.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Martin doesn't sell "first quality" replacement parts to the public. Only Authorized repairmen can those. However, as Jon mentioned above, the Guitar Maker's Connection sells perfectly serviceable parts at very low prices. These parts are all structurally sound and some only very minor cosmetic defects, very minor.

However, going from parts to a properly finished and fitted neck is a long journey. A capable repairman can do it, but not terribly cheaply, cheaper than Martin though. Finding a capable repairman is an adventure in and of itself.

BTW, the repair photos on the OP's guitar look awful. It may hold, but I'd be extremely dissatisfied.
I don't doubt your word on the Guitar Makers Connection. Perhaps you can give me a lead on contacting them. I looked on the Martin site and can't find anything about it. Maybe it's just me. I do see that the 1833 shop sells accessories but no parts are listed.

???
Old 02-19-2018, 12:52 PM
Guest 1928

Edit...

Looks like they may have gotten rid of the direct line. I hardly ever call, but I'm in Nazareth once a year. I just go by and pick up what I need. However, you can call the main number and ask for the Guitarmaker's Connection - (610) 759-2837. I just tried that and they transferred me right over. Ask for Gail.

Last edited by Guest 1928; 02-20-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Guitarmaker's Connection (610) 759-2064
Thanks, Mr. Buck, ahh, err I mean Todd. I'll give them a call.

Regards.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:40 PM

That repair looks quite amateurish. To me, it appears not to have been properly clamped. A good glue job will be stronger than the wood itself....so had it been done right, it should have lasted for life.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

I'm going to agree with those criticizing the repair. That repair is absolutely awful. And the shame of it is, that there was enough surface where the head stock broke to get a solid glue joint. It looks like he glued it with the tuners still installed, thus he wasn't able to clamp down the bits that are still sticking up. I don't get angry often, but that repair would do it to me.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair