The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-02-2018, 08:15 PM

They must have a very slow charger on it, I would agree. No doubt the battery itself could handle a much faster charge. The battery charge circuit may have been designed with a standard lead acid battery in mind, and then swapped out with a lithium ion one when they became available. 72 hours to charge a battery that last six or seven hours seems indefensible!
Old 02-02-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
They must have a very slow charger on it, I would agree. No doubt the battery itself could handle a much faster charge. The battery charge circuit may have been designed with a standard lead acid battery in mind, and then swapped out with a lithium ion one when they became available. 72 hours to charge a battery that last six or seven hours seems indefensible!
I’d bet they didn’t put a charging circuit in it at all. They just put a trickle charging voltage through the battery and left it at that. At 72 hours, it’s a third of an amp. Anything up to an amp is pretty standard trickle circuit power.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:09 PM

Default Comparison thread Bose S1 vs EAE D6-8

That or the guy misread the data he was quoting. I know I’ve got a blue light saying it is fully charged and it’s been a fraction of that time. I sent another message asking them to confirm the 72 hour (three full day) charging time. Everything else is so well designed and such top quality that that can’t be right.

Edit: the blue light means it is charging. This light will go out once it has reached full charge. My D6-8 has been plugged in since yesterday and it is still charging. I should also mention that it reached the three bar battery level pretty quickly. From later conversations I now know that I am probably just witnessing the very slow charge that happens between 90 and 100%.

Last edited by lkingston; 02-03-2018 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:51 PM

Just to go back to earlier points of discussion, this battery looks to be the same kind of thing in the D6-8. It has a 10a max recommended charge. In a typical 3-5 stage charger, it’s take around 1.5hrs to charge. This particular eBay battery would fit and work fine as a spare for the D6-8 as well.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/12V-10Ah-LiFE...EAAOSwLF1X4WZF

By the way, it’s par for the course for amps like this to have 8-12 hour recharge times, so not a detrimental ‘quality’ attribute. It is though a feature that Bose got very right in the S1. I’d say that Bose did really well with the battery system implementation in the S1. Best in any battery powered amp I’ve yet seen, with its inexpensive, fast charging, easily swapped, high voltage, multi volt, lithium pack. If it charges standalone, like the Mackie Freeplay battery does, it’d be just about perfectly done.

The EAE’s quickly interchangeable, easily sourced and easily charged with an aftermarket charger, covers almost all the major concerns. They could’ve gone with a higher voltage to make a stiffer power source that could more easily stand up to heavier draws but then the batteries would be harder to source, more expensive and the extra charger would be as well.

Last edited by dannyg1; 02-02-2018 at 10:00 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:32 PM

Ok, I got a response from the EAE Facebook guy. It is 72 hours to charge from empty to full. It’s a regular 12v sealed lead acid battery like the Carvin stuff used. I don’t know why I thought it was Lithium Ion. They opted for a slow charge to maximize battery life, especially given that users are going to use a variety of battery qualities when they change it out. Battery life is 1-2 years.

Here are some quotes from the back and forth messaging I just had:

“Most case, the battery will be 95%+ charged in 15 hours, the last 5% may take 10 hours, in some rare cases, depending on temperature, that last 1% or 2% may take 20 hours or more, the reason we say 72 hours is to be certain that a battery is fully charged before it is disconnected for storage to ensure a long battery life.”

“When the charge blue light turn off, it is 100% charged.”

“We have user reported from Africa that the blue charge light take a very long time to turn off, this is the main reason we recommend 72 hours for charging before disconnecting the battery for storage for transit.”

“Battery charge time is related to battery life time, we made the decision to slow charge the battery that we currently use on these units for a longer lifetime. We may shorten the charge time in the future designs after we have more testing done. Our current design has been in production since 2013 and have not been a major point of concerns on charge time, we are using a common battery that is available any where in the world for about $10-$20, it is trade off that we made, if we go with a custom battery, we can charge it much faster as we have control over the quality of the battery. We decided to be more careful since we don't control what batteries will be used in our unit in a third world country.”
Old 02-02-2018, 10:39 PM

Since it is a lead acid battery, that means that the power is going to drop on battery power, especially as it discharges. He is going to get back with me on the power as the battery discharges.

It is too late to test it right now, but tomorrow I will see how much volume I can get out of it plugged vs on battery power.

The new A655 stereo amp has a battery boost circuit which is not on the D6-8.

The Bose S1 Pro certainly has better battery technology. It will charge faster and give you full power throughout the discharge. On the other hand, you have to buy their $100 battery when you replace it vs going to Batteries Plus and spending $20...
Old 02-02-2018, 10:46 PM

I think the battery technology is a major advantage for the Bose. If you can afford the Bose, you can afford a replacement battery in 5 years.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:02 PM

Also Li-ion are lighter.
Lead acid are heavy and need more care.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 02-02-2018, 11:22 PM

Default Comparison thread Bose S1 vs EAE D6-8

The thing is the D6-8 sounds so amazing. It is hands down the best audio I have ever heard in a one piece portable amp. I’m thinking that I will retest the output levels tomorrow both plugged in and on battery power. If I have to plug it in when I want to use it at its maximum output, that is something I can easily live with. I was mostly looking for a really great sounding amp with minimal setup. The battery power is just a convenience extra.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:23 AM

Is there a way to save on the initial expense and get one without the battery?
Old 02-03-2018, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
I am trying to pick between these two for 20-30 person intimate gig stuff playing fingerstyle instrumentals (no singing). Will be using the battery power and K&K equipped guitars through a ToneDexter. Don't want to bring a pole, would set on a chair at my side or on table etc...

I love the idea of eliminating beaming, but want good sound quality too.

Thanks Gents!
Judging by the reviews both the Bose S1 Pro and the EAE A6-8 appear to be a fantastic sounding units.

But when it comes to "comparing" the Bose S1 Pro and A6-8 ...
They seem to be very dis-similar in features.

The EAE has a much larger amount of inputs (4 Mic and 6 Line inputs) vs the Bose with 3 total including the Aux/BT.

EAE has built-in effects - including Noise Gate, Compressor, EQ, Reverb,
Chorus, Delay.... +48v Phantom Power... Multi outputs.

Bose has a basic Reverb along with Bass, Treble control.
ToneMatch enhancement switch for both Guitar and Voice,
Auto EQ feature with built-in sensors that changes EQ based on speaker placement.
TRS line output.

Weight A6-8 @ 28 lbs vs S1 Pro @ 15 lbs

Battery - EAE Lead Acid Up to 8 hrs/72 hr charge time vs Bose Lith-Ion up to 6 hrs with quick charge.

Quite a bit different in looks too...

Last edited by JakeStone; 02-03-2018 at 07:05 AM.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:08 AM

the difference in weight probably has a lot to do
with the types of batteries and the cabinet construction.
The eAE seems more robust compared to the bose plastic.
I would be curious to know if the EAE or bose when drained
will function normally if plugged in. I would think so.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
On the other hand, you have to buy their $100 battery when you replace it vs going to Batteries Plus and spending $20...
Well, $36.99-41.99 in an interchangeable to the D6-8 size and only up to 8ah. The $99 ebay lithium I posted earlier will fit inside and is 10ah. You could probably build your own to fit that’ll be up in the 15ah range.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/batter...finder-box-top

It would be interesting to hear what internal voltage the D6-8 can be run up to. Possibly 18v would have a subtle but marked, effect on the levels the amp could achieve.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:55 AM

It’s also worth noting that lead acid batteries will hit their voltage cutoff point/what the amp sees as full discharge, at 50% of charge, while lithium batteries will run down to 20% before hitting that voltage. This gives them a large effective boost in runtime (the 12v/8ah sealed lead acid has 4ah available for use, the 12v/10ah lithium has 8ah available, so double the real world runtime).

Couple that with much lighter weight and far better storage stability, cycle capacity and shelf life, at least in most of our usage, lithium is an obvious better choice.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:19 AM

I had quite a lengthly Facebook Messenger conversation with EAE about their battery system. One thing he mentioned is that through Sunburst Gear they had an external battery unit for EAE and Sunburst Gear amps called the MPB1. That has been discontinued and will be replaced with a new lithium ion version that will give about four and a half hours of play time after a two hour charge. Here is a link to a description of the discontinued lead acid battery version:

https://www.wiredathome.com/sunburst...ries-speakers/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification