The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-26-2018, 11:58 AM

Default NGD - Martin DRS2---- couple questions

Thought I would start a new thread. You guys know they look like (all exactly alike). Great guitar, just concerned about sound now.

Picked up yesterday--new in box, never played. Played in store (padded acoustic room) and sounded awesome. Two hours later at my house, sound is still good but different. Based on that other thread, I believe I have found out why my guitars sound different:

Humidity right now in my house is 36%. Temp is about 68. Outside humidity is also around 36. I have hardwood (heart pine) floors and Sheetrock (dry wall) walls. 120 year old house. Either the humidity or room makeup is changing sound. This Martin went from a Boomy, bass sound in store to more treble or less bass. I'm thinking room makeup but I have a humidifier on the way just in case. I would think lower humidity would have more low end???

Next question: what would cause tuning to go flat while just sitting on stand in room? Not bad, just enough to have to adjust?

Now I know my L series has been giving me a fit with sound.

Thanks guys JED

Last edited by jed1894; 01-26-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:26 PM

Well, I've been playing this beautiful instrument for the last 5 hours and something has come alive. It's like it woke up or something.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:40 PM

Change in tuning is likely the guitar adjusting to new humidity & temperature. Prolonged RH in the Mid 30’s is a bit low - I would put it in a case or get a room humidifier.
My DRS 2 sounded best with RH in the high 30’s/low 40’s, but it sounded pretty good all the time. After a pro setup it was a great sounding & playing guitar. I’m sure you will enjoy yours.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:41 PM

Jed,
While I cannot address the issue of humidity since I live in an area that oftentimes has almost no humidity but as for it going flat, perhaps after being played then set on a stand, the (new) strings just needed to be tightened back up? Several more knowledgeable people on this forum have said that steel strings don't "stretch" but for simplicity's sake, I think they just stretched a bit...

I also have a DSR2 and also noticed that after some playing the sound noticeably improved! I don't know if my guitar changed or my ear did but either way, I'm happy!

Congrats on the guitar!
PJ
Old 01-26-2018, 06:58 PM

Thanks guys. Got humidity at 42 now in guitar room with guitar in case. I'm very happy with it. The neck is what I'm most impressed with. I can move from chord to chord must easier now. The Martin sound is nice. Still got that funky smell though.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:42 AM
Charter Member

Jed, congratulations on your new Martin. Great Choice!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion