The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-25-2018, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
My next guitar will likely be a 00, but I suspect it will be an Eastman or Alvarez due to budget constraints.
I got an Alvarez Blues51 12-fret 00 as a travel/couch/beater guitar. It's really fun, and inexpensive (I got it on sale for US$362). I like the form factor and play it way more than I thought I would — I actually binged on it for months. If I knew how much I'd like it, maybe I would have started with an E10OO. No regrets though.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:30 PM
Charter Member

Great review, Jamie. I only played one of each of these two guitars, and not side-by-side, so it's cool to get that real-time comparison. And the consensus between both of you as the guitar owners too. Very cool post.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

As the other side of this comparison I feel like I should join in the fun!

I agree with all of Jamie's post and really enjoyed the opportunity to have our open conversation and experience about these two great guitars. I've played the Eastman a number of times and really enjoy it. I found it to be a well constructed 00 that has a lot to offer. The neck is comfortable and Jamie has the action set well so playability is dialed in to the point that it is a fun 'little' guitar. I put little in quotes because both of these guitars have much more punch and volume than you would expect given their size! I've heard Jamie play his Eastman in the context of a large worship band and it more than holds it own and adds a sweet though full sound to the ensemble.

As the Martin owner in this comparison I thought it might help to add my .02 regarding why I chose it. Frankly I don't know that I can claim to have made an objective and fully data driven choice. I knew I wanted a Martin, and the CEO 7 in particular. From my perspective the CEO 7 has a bit more of a broad range of tone in that there seems to be more presence in the bass and additional sustain of the treble compared to the Eastman. The Martin also seems to have a fuller sound that is somewhat more complex. Finally, I prefer the wider string spacing on the CEO 7 especially for finger style. The combination of the 24.9" scale and wider nut is just perfect for me. I have long fingers so folks with smaller hands might not find this to be the case.

This is not to sell the Eastman short, but rather to contrast these two great instruments. As Jamie noted, there is not a bad choice between these two and on a practical note, let's be honest. For twice as much money, my CEO 7 certainly should have something to offer!

I hope that this unashamedly subjective yet friendly comparison is helpful and may it be a model for other 'vs.' comparisons on the AGF.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:44 AM

Thanks Lee for "chiming in"
I knew when you spotted the words "CEO 7" you would show up sooner or later.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-26-2018, 09:36 AM

Default Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Eastman and the Alvarez 00.
I would like to play an Alvarez myself for comparison.
YMMV The CEO-7 is, to me, one of Martins finest builds. I'd rate it the best of this discussion. Having owned or played the acoustics in question, here's my thoughts...

The Eastman is also a fine build, and for the money, a fine buy! The finger spacing is a bit tight for me. The Alvarez is , for the money, a fantastic deal. The spacing at the nut and bridge is wide , the neck has a medium *C* feel, and the sound belies its price point. It is also the only build with *back-shifted* bracing! Size wise, the Eastman feels lighter and smaller. Quality wise, Eastman has that over the Alvarez . Sound wise, Eastman gives a more versatile sound. But for under $350!!!!!-the Alvarez is my choice

Last edited by jpd; 01-26-2018 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:01 AM

I did this short recording of the E 10 00 SS for another person who was looking at this vs. a Pono.
It's a finger-picking riff which reveals not only the characteristics of the Eastman, but my lack of talent.
I hope you find it useful and amusing.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-26-2018, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Lee for "chiming in"
I knew when you spotted the words "CEO 7" you would show up sooner or later.
Glad to help...now if either Martin or Eastman would just get on the ball with some of that new 'V' bracing
Old 01-26-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
Glad to help...now if either Martin or Eastman would just get on the ball with some of that new 'V' bracing
Your sarcasm is only exceeded by your harp playing skill.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-27-2018, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Your sarcasm is only exceeded by your harp playing skill.
High praise indeed!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion