The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-22-2018, 11:34 PM

Default *UPDATE: NGD!* Guitar Purchase: Seeking Recommendations

Hey folks,

The funds are almost there, and I’m narrowing down my choices for the purchase of my first high quality guitar. But before I pull the trigger, I thought I’d consult the vast pool of knowledge and experience that is this forum, just in case there’s an option out there that I’m not aware of.

I’ve been trying out a lot of different guitars, and I think I’ve established what works best for me, so here’s my wish list, though nothing on the list is set in stone:

OM/000 body size
1¾ nut
2¼ saddle spacing
All solid
No cutaway
No pickup

Unfortunately, I have a fairly firm budget of $2000 CAD (~$1600 USD), and if I could get away with spending even little less that would be stupendous.

Right now, I’m fairly confident a Larrivee OM-40 is going to be the one, but I want to be sure before I commit. As far as tone wood goes, I really thought I wanted the OM-40R; aesthetically, I absolutely love the look of rosewood, but I have to be honest with myself, and my ears prefer the sound of mahogany.

So basically, I’m looking for any recommendations that might challenge the OM-40. I wish I could afford a 000-18, but I think it’s just a little too far out of reach. I’m also anticipating a lot of people are going to suggest Eastman, and I’m certainly receptive, although hesitant because I have yet to come across a single Eastman guitar to try locally. I struggle with all the aural adjectives, but how would the tone of an Eastman OM compare to the Larrivee? Also, I’m intrigued by the new Larrivee L-40. I’ve tried an L-03 and liked it (though still preferred the OM-40) so I’m wondering how the L body with the new bracing compares. Has anyone had a chance to try one yet, or know when they should start showing up in stores?

Basically, are there any other guitars that I need to consider before I buy?

Thanks guys.

*UPDATE*

After playing as many guitars as I could put my hands on, I just couldn't find anything that felt or sounded as good to me as the OM40. I feel like it just encapsulates everything I was after, and I couldn't be happier with my choice!

Well, today I braved the bad roads and brought my new baby home:

I suppose now I can finally just stop browsing guitar sites, reading reviews, and checking used listings, because once you find your perfect guitar, you never have any desire to have another... right?

Oh well, on to string auditions!

Last edited by TerryC; 01-26-2018 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:03 AM

A used 000-18 could be found in your budget.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryC View Post
Hey folks,

The funds are almost there, and I’m narrowing down my choices for the purchase of my first high quality guitar. But before I pull the trigger, I thought I’d consult the vast pool of knowledge and experience that is this forum, just in case there’s an option out there that I’m not aware of.

I’ve been trying out a lot of different guitars, and I think I’ve established what works best for me, so here’s my wish list, though nothing on the list is set in stone:

OM/000 body size

1¾ nut

2¼ saddle spacing

All solid

No cutaway

No pickup

Unfortunately, I have a fairly firm budget of $2000 CAD (~$1600 USD), and if I could get away with spending even little less that would be stupendous.

Right now, I’m fairly confident a Larrivee OM-40 is going to be the one, but I want to be sure before I commit. As far as tone wood goes, I really thought I wanted the OM-40R; aesthetically, I absolutely love the look of rosewood, but I have to be honest with myself, and my ears prefer the sound of mahogany.

So basically, I’m looking for any recommendations that might challenge the OM-40. I wish I could afford a 000-18, but I think it’s just a little too far out of reach. I’m also anticipating a lot of people are going to suggest Eastman, and I’m certainly receptive, although hesitant because I have yet to come across a single Eastman guitar to try locally. I struggle with all the aural adjectives, but how would the tone of an Eastman OM compare to the Larrivee? Also, I’m intrigued by the new Larrivee L-40. I’ve tried an L-03 and liked it (though still preferred the OM-40) so I’m wondering how the L body with the new bracing compares. Has anyone had a chance to try one yet, or know when they should start showing up in stores?

Basically, are there any other guitars that I need to consider before I buy?

Thanks guys.

Sounds like you have quite a few choices. Some of the guitars you mentioned are standard scale and others are short scale (000-18) in particular. In the standard scale are the OM, the L-03, L-04, and all 000-18 and 000-28 are scale (standard series).... not the 15,16 or 17 models. So take that into consideration. I used to have a lot of standard scale dreads and OM but now everything is short scale including my old J-45.

I think you can afford any of the following if you buy used : 000-18, 000-28, J-45, OM-28, 00-18, 00-28 and many more. They will also keep their value so if you change you mind later you will likely get your money back, maybe more. I have purchased many new and old, the old ones tend to stick around longer and get more playing time.

My suggestion is to narrow down a bit size and scale and then try a bunch. I like all kinds of woods but I end up preferring mahogany back and sides for fingerpicking and rosewood for rhythm. Not sure where you are located but there a lot of good vintage guitar stores that can help out.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:28 AM

Sounds like it’s time to start playing lots of guitars to find the one that speaks to you. I agree you should try a 000-18. They are spectacular.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:34 AM

Yep, let the fun begin! I need an OM myself!
Old 01-23-2018, 04:56 AM

You should definitely give Blueridge and Eastman a try. It will be way within your budget.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:45 AM

Don't fall in love with a guitar brand, or model. Fall in love with a guitar you've played, preferably in a comparison setting.

You don't buy a great guitar by mail. You just buy a guitar.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 01-23-2018, 09:01 AM

I think you now need to decide whether you want short- or long-scale guitars.

I went with the OM-28. There are occasions when I use open D or Dm tuning. In those occasions, I prefer playing on the long scale. I have short scale guitars and notice the extra sloppiness in the strings when I tune a short-scale guitar down to D or Dm.

Others see it different.

I do love my OM though!

f-d
Old 01-23-2018, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Over the last few months, I was looking for an OM/000. I narrowed it down to the Larrivee OM-40 and the Martin 000-18. It was a tough battle all the way. At the end of the day, I went with the OM-40. The 000-18 is a truly wonderful guitar, but I just didn't think it was qualitatively any better than the OM-40, and I spent about $800 less. I also really love the herringbone appointments, the satin finish, and the hog back on my Larrivee is stunning.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:49 AM

There are several Breedloves that would fit your requirements.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

I'm not real big on Larrivees, but the OM40 is a great guitar and reasonably priced. I've wasted a lot of money searching for the holy grail. It's not out there. If you like the OM40, go for it.

PS: I agree the rosewood is prettier, but the mahogany is music to my ears.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:03 AM

Thanks for the replies folks.

As to scale length, I didn't specify a preference because I've yet to really establish which I favour. Right now I play a standard scale (FG800), but when I try them, the short scales feel just fine too. I agree that I just need to get out there and play a bunch, and maybe I can settle on a scale preference, but as of right now either are perfectly acceptable in my mind.

Also, I'm pleasantly surprised everyone deems a used martin to be within reach. From my occasional browsing, I've yet to see a 000-18 for anywhere near my budget, but yes, the reverb price guide's lower estimate is indeed within range.

I'm going to be really on the hunt now, but I'm guessing getting a 000-18 in decent condition for that price may take a little patience. I've been checking reverb, kijiji, the buy/sell section on this forum, and ebay -- anywhere else I should have my eye on to find a used martin?
Old 01-23-2018, 10:06 AM

Recently bought a Yamaha LS16M (basically a mahogany 000/OM) for my niece's birthday. It was a "b stock" unit and we paid $550 delivered. Street price for a new one is ~$650-700.

HELLUVA guitar that is extremely competitive with guitars costing $1000 more.

I could not have been happier with it, and was sad to let it go...
Old 01-23-2018, 10:33 AM

Personally I love the Larrivee OM's. A fellow I play with has a OM-03 and it sounds terrific. He's got a Baggs soundhole pickup and I'm not sure he needs anything better for stage work. At some point I'll want an OM and keeping my eye out for a used Larrivee.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 01-23-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryC View Post
.........Also, I'm pleasantly surprised everyone deems a used martin to be within reach. From my occasional browsing, I've yet to see a 000-18 for anywhere near my budget, but yes, the reverb price guide's lower estimate is indeed within range.....
Since many of us here on AGF live in the US, we have a somewhat distorted view of the availability and prices of US-made guitars outside of our borders. They typically cost more -- and are noticeably less common -- in Canada and other places.

Based on your criteria, I would second the idea of finding a nice Larrivee, either new or used. Although the last thing I need is yet another guitar, a friend in Anchorage has a wonderful little OM-03R that still crosses my mind (I passed on it brand new, and he bought it).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion