The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-29-2018, 03:44 PM

+3 for TC Helicon Play Acoustic. It gives you pretty sophisticated voice processing, TC Hall of Fame reverb for the guitar as well as some other effects, boost and a tuner. The add-on 3 button box makes it very customizable. With that an a Tondexter you are covered in two boxes.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
No. You have 10 mixer scenes which can include fx settings, but you have to load the scene rather than just switch to it.
Thanks. Are you a set-it-and-forget-it kinda guy or are you able to switch scenes easily enough with people watching? As in do you have to turn your back to the audience and bend over and futz with it?
Old 01-29-2018, 04:18 PM

Take a look at the new Line 6 HX Effects. In addition to all the effects, you can load an acoustic IR.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
Thanks. Are you a set-it-and-forget-it kinda guy or are you able to switch scenes easily enough with people watching? As in do you have to turn your back to the audience and bend over and futz with it?
Im a set-it-and-forget-it kinda guy. I turn the reverb up until i barely hear it, then back it off just a touch. The same think with delay. On the guitar I scoop just below 20hz, boost a little bass below that, high pass around 60hz. Once the sound is dialed in, I don't touch it.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Take a look at the new Line 6 HX Effects. In addition to all the effects, you can load an acoustic IR.
Looks like hours of fun ... but requires another device to handle vocals.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:34 PM
Charter Member

Another Play Acoustic user. With the latest update, you can set for global EQ for the guitar, or have a different EQ set with a push of the footswitch. You could fuss with it endlessly, but I have several settings I like for the guitar(s), 3 different vocal harmony settings, one global reverb, and I'm good to go.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Another Play Acoustic user. With the latest update, you can set for global EQ for the guitar, or have a different EQ set with a push of the footswitch. You could fuss with it endlessly, but I have several settings I like for the guitar(s), 3 different vocal harmony settings, one global reverb, and I'm good to go.
Considering the price and the glowing testimonials I'm gonna have to try out a lightly used one before spending 3 times as much for new Bose Tonematch. I've got a L1C to pair it with which doesn't need that much help. I'm not a set it and forget it guy, I don't need infinite variety but do crave some.

Of course as soon as I feel comfortable with it, I'll no doubt become part of a duo and still need a small mixer ... but I feel somehow better knowing we're all similarly cursed.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Considering the price and the glowing testimonials I'm gonna have to try out a lightly used one before spending 3 times as much for new Bose Tonematch. I've got a L1C to pair it with which doesn't need that much help. I'm not a set it and forget it guy, I don't need infinite variety but do crave some.

Of course as soon as I feel comfortable with it, I'll no doubt become part of a duo and still need a small mixer ... but I feel somehow better knowing we're all similarly cursed.
Not sure why you are comparing a TC Play Acoustic with a Bose ToneMatch?? They are completely different animals. One is a guitar / vocals effects box, the other is a digital mixer.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Not sure why you are comparing a TC Play Acoustic with a Bose ToneMatch?? They are completely different animals. One is a guitar / vocals effects box, the other is a digital mixer.
Cause right now I just have the L1C and need to optimize vocals and guitar.

Like most forum members, I'll probably wind up with multiple configurations. I'm mulling over which way to go first.

I do realize they're completely different animals, but both animals are likely improvements over straight in.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Cause right now I just have the L1C and need to optimize vocals and guitar.

Like most forum members, I'll probably wind up with multiple configurations. I'm mulling over which way to go first.

I do realize they're completely different animals, but both animals are likely improvements over straight in.

Actually, straight into the Bose Compact is surprisingly good, and I have a T1.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:47 AM

Cool T.C. Helicon Vocal Live 3 Extreme Edition

My acoustics sound is really good with the BodyRez presets ( 5 ) , you combine these presets with all
the available FX it has including those for the vocal and you have something no other acoustic guitar
MFX processor has period . The other T.C. units are cool too , I was going to get one till I saw the VL3
and then as I was about to throw down the VL3X came out and that's what I have now . Pricey yes -

¿ Are there deals ?

Oh yeah ..... mine new in the box was $550.00
  1. Piezo quack is tamed with BodyRez
  2. FX of the electric guitar include : Flanger - Delay , Reverb < several hip ones > compressor , stuff , lots of cool stuff
  3. FX from vocal < you can get 4 or more multi voicings for your acoustic guitar this way , lots of cool stuff
  4. 5 BodyRez presets to choose from

Works for me on my 6 string dread steel , 000 resonator , 000 spanish nylon , ukulele , acoustic harmonica(s) .

I love it

EZ :

HR

Life has always been interesting to me

Old 01-31-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnewsom View Post
Actually, straight into the Bose Compact is surprisingly good, and I have a T1.
Mine's surprisingly good for vocals, but my K&K equipped Collings needs some TLC as in a little low mids cut at the very least. And surprisingly good vocals isn't quite excelling at vocals. Other people agree with you, so obviously it can sound quite good straight in.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:08 AM

VL3X looks awesome but lots of failure reports. Is yours a newer one? There was a fabulous demo on youtube of a guy showing one off for acoustic, electric, vocals and keyboards which seems to have vanished. Everything sounded great and he was mercifully judicious with the amount of effects and keeping the harmonies from overwhelming the lead vocal. I really wanted one but the reviews indicated lots of returns.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I use an L1c also. Love the sound, but it sounds even better with the Play Acoustic. The Tonematch is a nice digital mixer, but for less money, you can have the BodyRez options, effects, and vocal harmony. If you need more than the two inputs on the L1c, the Play Acoustic can't help with that... but, if two will do it, it is good addition to the sound.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:57 PM

Default T.C.Helicon Warranty = 2 Years

Quote:
VL3X looks awesome but lots of failure reports. Is yours a newer one? There was a fabulous demo on youtube of a guy showing one off for acoustic, electric, vocals and keyboards which seems to have vanished. Everything sounded great and he was mercifully judicious with the amount of effects and keeping the harmonies from overwhelming the lead vocal. I really wanted one but the reviews indicated lots of returns.
Hello troggg :

I can attest to my unit going down after a few months ( 2 ) and I can also say I was kind of apprehensive once
the failure occured in such a short time . I contacted T.C.Helicon and was given the nearest warranty service
center tele.# and when I called the requirement was only a copy of the sales receipt and nothing more .

I shipped it to the Las Vegas center from southern California and after 5 days called to see what was up
I expected the worst and after a few moments of stressed out thinking the answer on the phone was it was
in transit back to me .

¡ 7 day turn around WOW !

Stunned - you betcha - It's working great no more issues so far . I'm in the T.C.Helicon forum and there
have been a few people who didn't get their units fixed quickly - but in the end T.C.H. made good on the units .
Once the service center was contacted by T.C.H. as to why the unit(s) were not fixed T.C.H. made sure the back
ordered snag in parts was cleared up .

Failures occur and you have to have back up - I chose T.C.H. over many others on this very back order problem
issue , 2 years warranty's are hard to come by .

Taking chances is the name of the game as a entertainer , it's not for timid type people , it's filled with risk takers .
I'd chance it if I was you if you think this is the kind of unit that fills your needs .

I'm following this guy :

Before I got my VL3X I searched out live loopers on Youtube . It came down to two final choices and the other was
the BOSS RC300 . Durability is important to me , I have BOSS stuff they are reliable . Markus K has been using
the VL3 several years now and other traveling musicians I follow who use them swear on their reliability
and solid construction . They are not with out imperfections sure , however these inconsistencies are minor compared
to what these units deliver in the final analysis IMHO . Markus has hauled his from Spain and the Canary Islands to London
- France - Italy - Romania -Croatia and now he's in india with the same T.C.Helicon VL3 . He's on FB and Youtube .

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification