The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-11-2018, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Geez that guitar sounds like one of Yamaha's Transacoustics....... You know, the one with the built in amp. Say it ain't so.....

Given this some thought , I think it could be along these lines but with an external pre amp ( working with the guitar pickup system ) to give a new / advanced dimension. Can't wait to find out
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 01-12-2018, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
OK, I'll bite - a label put on crooked is surely an innovation, only I don't think it is a very big one
I suppose that to the layman, it seems easy to do. But to get perfectly accurate placement of the label, at just the right angle of crookedness to transform the tone, must take immense skill.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:13 AM

Perhaps from now on Andy Powers is going to make each and every Taylor Guitar all by himself. No more CAD machines no more Automation.
But the yearly output of instruments won't diminish. You'll be busy, Andy!
Old 01-12-2018, 04:55 AM

Very interesting. Does he actually put the label on that crooked or is this one of those slanted braced models?
Old 01-12-2018, 05:48 AM

So much snark in such a small space

I'm guessing this will either be along the lines of Master Built line over at Fender where you can get a guitar made by Andy Powers or it could also be an entirely new model I suppose, although what that might be I have no idea.

Whatever it is, I believe Taylor will do something good.

Yamaha FG365s (1978)
Martin 000-28
Taylor 814ce
Taylor 458e
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa
Washburn Timeless Series Celtic Mandolin

Boss DR-01S Rhythm Partner
Boss RC-30 Loop Station
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Shubb capos
Bunch of boutique picks (cheap GAS cure)

Old 01-12-2018, 05:49 AM

Bob does have to retire eventually, yes? At some point, Andy’s name will be the name on the label. Full stop.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Geez that guitar sounds like one of Yamaha's Transacoustics....... You know, the one with the built in amp. Say it ain't so.....
You know, that was the first thing that occurred to me too. The guitar sounded compressed and vaguely amplified. Maybe it was? Later this month we'll know for sure! (By the way there's no amplifier in the TA).
Old 01-12-2018, 06:32 AM

maybe the label is made out of recycled
rosewood dust. in keeping with taylor's sustainability
programs.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

Default Taylor teases new innovation

EDIT: MY PREDICTION IS THAT THEY ARE RELEASING A NEW LINE RATHER THAN REBOOTING THE OLD R TAYLOR CUSTOM GUITARS.

The label is obviously different than the current Taylor label. The R Taylor has been dormant for a while so I agree with the others that this could be a reboot of that.

The wood on that guitar back that is being labeled in the video is really interesting. Doesn’t look like the typical Mahogany or Rosewood and definitely isn’t Maple. So maybe it’s the introduction of a wood that will replace Rosewood because of all the cites restrictions? Or it’s a reboot of the R Taylor line and they are hinting at the ability to customize your guitar (which includes choosing the woods used).

Also there is a GA body (14 series) with a bevel on the table. Perhaps they are hinting at a change to this particular line?

All speculation of course. We’ll find out in a couple of weeks. Until then, they want us talking and wondering about it and...it’s working. That is successful marketing.

Last edited by Don54; 01-13-2018 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:12 AM

Whatever it is, they presented a good marketing ploy.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:15 AM

Did Andy Powers build his own solo luthier instruments prior to joining Taylor?
Old 01-12-2018, 07:21 AM

This is confusing to me.

The quote from Bob infers that they have come out with an innovated new product or design feature. However, the video alludes to a line of guitars built or totally designed by Andy.

Innovation by definition leads me to believe that this has to be a new product or feature and can't simply be an Andy Powers line...that would just not be a definitive innovation. There has to be more, but Taylor being the marketing geniuses they are, we will just have to wait.

I also don't see how it makes sense to have Andy Powers name on a Taylor guitar/label. Ok, maybe his signature, but the brand is Taylor, not Powers.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
This is confusing to me.

The quote from Bob infers that they have come out with an innovated new product or design feature. However, the video alludes to a line of guitars built or totally designed by Andy.

Innovation by definition leads me to believe that this has to be a new product or feature and can't simply be an Andy Powers line...that would just not be a definitive innovation. There has to be more, but Taylor being the marketing geniuses they are, we will just have to wait.

I also don't see how it makes sense to have Andy Powers name on a Taylor guitar/label. Ok, maybe his signature, but the brand is Taylor, not Powers.

I'm thinking a new model, possibly a parlor model that was designed and conceived by Andy Powers that is going to be added to the line.

And watching that video, the label in NOT crooked, the bracing is and it is on a very small back IMHO, which is why I think it's a new smaller model.

Yamaha FG365s (1978)
Martin 000-28
Taylor 814ce
Taylor 458e
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa
Washburn Timeless Series Celtic Mandolin

Boss DR-01S Rhythm Partner
Boss RC-30 Loop Station
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Shubb capos
Bunch of boutique picks (cheap GAS cure)

Old 01-12-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Exodus View Post
I'm thinking a new model, possibly a parlor model that was designed and conceived by Andy Powers that is going to be added to the line.

And watching that video, the label in NOT crooked, the bracing is and it is on a very small back IMHO, which is why I think it's a new smaller model.
But that's my confusing....guitar builders release new models all the time. This is not innovation by definition. Bob makes it sound like they've designed something new that will "innovate or change" the guitar world.

I don't know, I guess I'm just lost. Even if Taylor started offering mandolins, banjos, or violins, it wouldn't really be innovation.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Did Andy Powers build his own solo luthier instruments prior to joining Taylor?
Yes, he had a small custom operation. His old website is archived online here.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion