The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-09-2013, 02:29 PM

Default In ear monitors for solo acoustic gigs?

I play solo gigs (acoustic and vocals) thru a bose l1 compact. I mic the guitar with a pg81 condenser and I use a live condenser or a audix om-6 depending on the room for vocals. I find that for gigs where I need to be a little louder it's tough because of the placement of the bose, it's meant to be behind me and a little to the side so it doubles as a monitor. I'm thinking it'll be easier use mics if I put the bose in front of me but I won't be able to hear myself very well. Anyone have experience with in ear monitors? I'm not looking for super expensive ones, just something that sounds like the main mix and they don't need to be noise canceling. I use the bose t1 tonematch as a mixer (if that matters). Thanks
Old 11-10-2013, 09:14 AM

If you can afford it, 1964 Ears make an amazing custom line for about half of what other companies charge. I can't recommend them enough.

On a budget, the Westone UM1's are a good bang for the buck at about $100 a pair.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:30 AM
Musical minimalist

it appears the Bose tonematch does "matter"....

I was just looking at it and there is no output for any kind of monitor.....

Old 11-10-2013, 09:44 AM

One thing about in-ears is that most have a built-in compressor that can't be defeated - to ensure you don't get blasted with loud sound, but to also kick up the volume during soft stuff.
The Shure systems are pretty good. If you don't mind being wired, you can get a P2R bodypack that you can run a line signal to (assuming the Bose L1 or Tonematch has a line-out), so you can avoid the $400 transmitter. You might want to look at an external mixer that has a separate monitor output from its main output so you can sculpt the monitor mix better.
It takes a while to get used to using an in-ear system, but they are nice!

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 11-10-2013, 11:10 AM

I used the Bose PAS system for about 5 years and I know it can be challenging in tight spaces. Sometimes you're pretty much against the wall which is not optimum for that system. I eventually bought a QSC K10 as a monitor and ended up selling my PAS though it is a nice sounding system.

One of the places I play has the Bose system which is against the wall as am I but it still can work if you angle the tower at a slight angle. That system has a 180 degree pattern and will still cover the majority of the room even angled I would recommend that over in ears in a solo situation.

I do have a set of Live Wire in-ears ($289) which I was using a bit on my solo gig last night. The problem is that as a solo guy you are the sound man as well as performer. If you're only doing acoustic and vocals it shouldn't be a big challenge but with in-ears you will feel pretty isolated and you need to balance the system first before using the in-ears. Also if you are using the Bose tower and sub by being behind the system you will be fighting the low end even with in-ears. In-ears work best when they can block out a significant portion of the outside sound and the low end is always the toughest. My solo gig is pretty loud maybe it will work for you but I think it can be a real challenge in a solo act.

Even something like the Mackie SRM 150($249) http://www.mackie.com/products/srm150/will probably be a cheaper alternative to in-ears and will work better in you situation.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:02 AM

If there's a headphone out all you need is a good pair of in ears and a long cable...

With the 1964's you can have ambient vents built in which can help with the isolation issue. Usually for solo acoustic gigs, I just wear one ear for clarity and leave the other out to hear the room. Then if the crowd gets loud and obnoxious, I can put the other ear in and block them out completely.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:04 AM

Also, a good pair of in ear monitors shouldn't compress things any more than a decent pair of headphones. Some wireless systems have built in limiters that can be turned off, but the ear monitors themselves won't...
Old 11-12-2013, 03:38 PM

That mackie looks interesting. Is it a small PA speaker that doubles as a monitor or is it just used as a monitor? I ask I play a few gigs where the bar is in a seperate room from where I play so I'm wondering if that speaker would be sufficient to chain to the compact and set it up on the bar side
Old 11-16-2013, 12:32 AM

Shure SE215 and Westone UM1 but the Westone's seem to get the better reviews and seems the SE215's can have cable noise issues

Shure SE215 vs Westone UM1 http://versus.com/en/westone-um1-vs-shure-se215

Westone UM1 review http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Westone/UM1/

Shure SE215 review http://www.inearmatters.net/2011/06/...ure-se215.html

Last edited by tomana; 11-16-2013 at 12:56 AM.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomana View Post
Shure SE215 and Westone UM1 but the Westone's seem to get the better reviews and seems the SE215's can have cable noise issues

Shure SE215 vs Westone UM1 http://versus.com/en/westone-um1-vs-shure-se215

Westone UM1 review http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Westone/UM1/

Shure SE215 review http://www.inearmatters.net/2011/06/...ure-se215.html
I used the Shure SE215 for about 8 months with no cable noise issues. OF course any earbud can have cable problems over time (have to treat them right, roll up the cable when done and store it in the given pouch, etc). The Shures' cables can be replaced, too. The 215 is the lowest price of the series, I had bandmates that used the 415s and said they were exceptional.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

Last edited by MikeBmusic; 11-17-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:49 AM

I have the Shure IEM's and love them for playing out. I play in a church band with no monitors on stage so I have no choice. Took some time to get used to them but once you get past the trial stage they are great and save your hearing for more important things like the Wife's list of to do for the weekend. Mine were $99. I have friends that play pro and they have recently gone over to them as well. These guys are real serious about ear health and love them also. Loss of hearing is a major problem for musicians due to the loud stage volumes we find ourselves in all the time. I would not go back to monitors. Also no feedback or rings etc.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:27 PM

PKA: Cruel Haiku, Standard Deviation

Eastman E10D
Seagull S12+
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Dobro wood roundneck Model 55, 1929
Regal RD-52 Black Lightning square neck reso
Fender Musicmaster II 1966
Airline lap steel
Traveler Guitar Pro Series Acoustic-Electric (rigged as lap-steel)
Old 11-16-2013, 02:45 PM

LOL great photo ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
OF course any earbud can have cable problems over time (have to treat them right, roll up the cable when done and store it int eh given pouch, etc)
Though that comment is true, that's not what Shure admitted to. They said there was a problem with NEW 215's and they addressed it, or so the articles I've read stated. Personally, I do not know, having never tried any of the high cost ear buds like these

Last edited by tomana; 11-16-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:46 PM

I've spent lots of time with universal fit IEMd before I got customs, and in my experience, in the $1-300 price range, Westone's products have been more reliable, more comfortable, and have sounded better. Your mileage may vary...
Old 11-17-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
it appears the Bose tonematch does "matter"....

I was just looking at it and there is no output for any kind of monitor.....
This shouldn't be a problem. First off, the L1 compact has a line out that could presumably be used to drive in ear monitors. Also, the T1 Tonematch has an Aux Out that could be used as a monitor out. Here's a description from the manual:

"User-definable analog output. Can be configured for a pre-fader, post-EQ, and effects, or postfader output. Accepts ¼" TRS balanced or TS unbalanced cables."

My thought, with the L1 Compact, would be to put it directly to your side. That should allow you more gain before feedback, yet still provide enough of a monitor effect.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification