The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-27-2018, 12:52 PM

Default That moment you realize “I need a dread!”

So about six months back I bought my first acoustic - Takamine GN93. I still like it quite a bit. I think it was a good quality/cost compromise The other day I put new strings on this old laminated beater that was laying around. It buzzed so bad before that I didn’t touch it. Well the new strings fixed a lot of that. It’s a dreadnought size and I must say, it sounds pretty horrible still but I am loving the booming low end. Has me craving a dread now.

I settled on my Nex size Tak because I didn’t want too big of a guitar. But the size difference isn’t that big to me.

The one thing I would like is perhaps a slightly shorter scale. I hold my guitar on my left leg due to a rotator cuff injury. Shortening that reach would be fantastic. My shorter scale electric seems infinitely easier to fret as well.

I noticed the Taylor 310 can be had on the used market for a pretty darn good price. The current specs show this is a shorter scale dread. Has it always been so? I see a lot of them for sale between 1999-2002 at a very affordable price for me.

Also considering perhaps a Gibson J15. I have yet to play one though so I don’t know if it produces the low-end like a “normal“ dreadnought or not.

Overall budget not too much over $1,000 and prefer used really to improve bang for my buck. That and I am not in a situation where I can go play a ton of guitars. I’m legally blind and try to reserve favors for the “need“ category and not “hey can you help me out, I want to go play guitars all day.”

I would love to hear your thoughts on something of quality, ease of play but has some oomph. Scratches and dings matter less when you can barely see them!

Gretsch 6228FM
Fender Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 01-27-2018, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Sent you a PM.
Good luck with your search!

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 01-27-2018, 02:44 PM

Mitch,
I own a Gibson J15 and can tell you with absolute certainty it has the Dread low-end you are looking for. In fact when I first got mine I was actually startled at the low end strength! I don’t know your budget but I’m sure by now they would be available on the used market and will be lower cost than the $1500 I paid for mine brand new.

Good luck,
PJ
Old 01-27-2018, 03:54 PM

June 6, 2012, 6:30 pm.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
June 6, 2012, 6:30 pm.
I’m not proud of how long that took me before laughing. Going to chalk it up to this nasty cold.

I am a big fan of the Gibson scale. I imagine the Taylor 310 and J-15 sound quite a bit different. I like the Taylor brightness provided there is still some good lows.

Gretsch 6228FM
Fender Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster
Michael Tuttle T style

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion