The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-26-2018, 08:21 PM

Default Vintage parlour guitar question

I have a really nice 00 that I got from vpg a while back. I have been using the daddario custom light strings as he recommends but they really aren't my cup of tea. I was thinking of putting a set of custom light Martin retros on it instead but the string tension is close but not exact. Will this cause problems on an old guitar from the 30s.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nye View Post
I have a really nice 00 that I got from vpg a while back. I have been using the daddario custom light strings as he recommends but they really aren't my cup of tea. I was thinking of putting a set of custom light Martin retros on it instead but the string tension is close but not exact. Will this cause problems on an old guitar from the 30s.
Why don't you just ask him? He knows more about that guitar than anybody.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:56 AM

How does the guitar's top look? Bellying behind the bridge? Bridge rotating toward the soundhole? If so, stay as light as you can.

If, on the other hand, the top has little belly and the bridge has not rotated appreciably toward the soundhole, it is likely to stay that way after 80-some years under string tension.

You can bet that the guitar has had Mediums on it for at least part of its life. Strings in the '30's and '40's were generally pretty heavy.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 01-27-2018, 12:10 PM

How close is "close"? I think you'll be fine, assuming the guitar has no structural issues. As Neal said, if the bridge is secure and there isn't a large belly, you'll likely be fine.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion