The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-14-2015, 03:51 PM

Question Who makes slim neck nylons?

I am in the market for a nylon string guitar, made to be played amplified. Something like a Godin MultiAc, but unfortunately I don't want to spend what one of those would be new. The other problem is that I don't want a wide neck - I have smaller hands, & when I transitioned from my Martin to my Taylor being my main axe, it took me quite a while to adjust from a 1 & 11/16 in. nut width to the 1 & 3/4 in. width of the Taylor.

Godin makes a "Slim" model of their MultiAc (ACS-SA Slim), but I'm only interested in spending for a used one of those, & the only used "Slims" I've found would be out of town for me, so I'd be buying something that I'd never played, w/o any possibility of return (like on ebay).

I'm also interested in the new ESP LTD TL-6N, but the only people who seem to carry those in my area (St. Louis) are Guitar Centers, but not in the store - they want me to pay for it 1st to "get it out of the warehouse", although they do have a 45 day return policy. I would do that, IF the nut width wasn't 1 & 7/8, I'm worried that'll be too wide for me.

So I guess my Q is: does anybody know any manufacturers that make a nylon string designed to be amplified that has a slim neck profile & a nut width of less than 1 & 7/8 in.? 1 & 3/4 in. would be fine (as long as the neck radius isn't too much), I'm used to that nut width. Thx.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:13 PM

I don't know what your budget is but maybe a used Taylor NS.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

The Cordoba GK Studio is a terrific guitar that meets many of your specs, but not all. It has a slim neck profile, a nice pickup, and it sounds and looks great. The nut is wider than you're looking for, but I'm not finding the width to be much of a problem given the low action and nice profile on the neck.

They are widely available at GuitarCenters (at least around here), so you might be able to try one out fairly easily.

Good luck in your search!
My guitars include Gibsons, Martins, Fenders, and others
Old 07-15-2015, 04:55 AM

Córdoba comes to mind off the top of my head. Unfortunately nylon string seems to be synonymous with classical guitar for most makes which means wide necks... I have seen used Godin's for pretty reasonable prices though so if it's not imperative you find one asap, you may be able to find a deal on one.

Taylor's NS has 1 7/8" so wider then the OP is looking for unless he happens to find a custom or something.

-Jim
2009 Martin D-18
2011 Voyage-Air VAOM-02
2014 Martin CEO-7
2015 Gibson J-45
Old 07-15-2015, 06:02 AM

Recently I purchased a nylon string Pono crossover that has a 1 7/8 inch nut width. Every standard classical that I tried had a 2 inch neck that felt awkward, to say the least, since I'd become used to the 1 3/4 inch nut width of the steel string I've played for the past 35 years.

I adapted to the Pono quite easily, within several hours, and now have no trouble moving back and forth between them.

I have moderately large hands, 9 1/2 inch spread with long narrow fingers, so a standard classical nut/neck width should have presented no problem for me, and I now think that I could adapt to one fairly easily.

I think the neck widths of classical/nylon stringed guitars are wide by necessity. The combination of string gauge/size, flex, and degree of string vibration/motion make a much higher action necessary to avoid buzzing. This, in turn, requires a wider neck/fingerboard with more room, especially when you move up beyond the 8th fret, and there are times I wish I had that little extra room.

A narrow width neck nylon string guitar may seem like the ticket, at first, until you spend some time with one, only to realize why most have wide necks in the first place. There are countless players of traditional classical guitars that have small hands and have adapted to those guitars, who might tell you that they feel cramped on a steel string guitar with a 1 3/4 inch neck.
'86 Flatiron A5-JR
'15 Pono N-30DC
Old 07-15-2015, 06:37 AM

You should read this thread over in the "classical" subforum:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=393060
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 07-15-2015, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

The Cordoba hybrids feel slim to me. I have a Fusion Orchestra 12fret. Nice tone, good feel, and decent pickup.

Also note worthy(plugged) -in, the Yamaha NTX are very nice but I find the string-to- fretboard edge distance I little disconcerting.

A used Taylor would be a very good choice too. I had a NS42ce for years and miss if from time to time.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:21 PM

Default These are new...

http://www.acousticguitar.com/Gear/R...k-Turner-S6-N6

No experience with these, but I know the US-made ones were used by the pros...
Old 07-15-2015, 01:43 PM

I have trouble with the "standard" classical neck as well. I play fingerstyle jazz stuff on an Alvarez semi-hollow...Mostly.
I bought a used Takamine classical but could not adapt to the wide fretboard....

So, at present, I have a Cordoba "Cadete" 3/4-sized classical. Perfect size-wise....

However, it's a "student" instrument that only cost about 250 bucks. I use it as my "armchair" guitar. I wouldn't spend the money to have a pickup installed.

I too am beginning to lust after one of the Godins....I do like that nylon-string jazz sound. But the price is a little on the steep side.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

In thinking this over, I suspect that a 1 11/16 nut on a nylon strung guitar might not be feasible. There is a lot less tension on the strings, and I think they travel a lot farther back and forth as they vibrate. On a narrow nut they might be banging into one another. Maybe this is silly, but I think there is a physical reason, not just a traditional one.

The Cordoba GK Studio is a Flamenco guitar, by the way, not a classical, so the action is much lower and faster.
My guitars include Gibsons, Martins, Fenders, and others
Old 07-15-2015, 07:52 PM

I bought a used Taylor nylon string (2011 Limited 214ce) from a AG member a few months ago, and I am very pleased with it. Not sure how much you want to spend, but new the NS 200 series are around $1000.00, have a solid top, and are very comfortable to play. The 2011 limited's were made with a cedar top, and sound very warm and mellow. The standard 200 series have a Sitka spruce top.

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut
Old 07-15-2015, 10:45 PM

Smile Played a few today, these two were the best

Manuel Rodriguez Flamenco Moderna Acoustic-Electric - at Guitar Center

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Manuel-R...15-i3815961.gc

Cordoba 12 Natural Fusion

http://www.cordobaguitars.com/p/12-natural

The Rodriguez was a cedar top w/ walnut back & sides, (a little unusual, I thought, to use walnut on this kind of guitar), & had beautiful little abalone dots for fret markers on both the edge of the neck & on the fretboard, offset to the edge of the player's side of the fretboard. Very pretty.

The dude at Guitar Center said the nut width was 1 & 11/16 in., it didn't look that, & it's not, it's 1 & 3/4. Played pretty well, the neck is slimmer than a regular classical, but the saddle was really high, I suspect Gtr Ctr hadn't done any setup on it, it was the factory set. So, the string action was pretty high up on the higher frets.

The Cordoba has a 1 & 7/8 in. nut, but the neck is super slim, maybe slimmer than my Taylor (!), & since the shop where I was (Music Folk, for you St. Louisans) had actually set up the guitar, it played great, & I hardly noticed the wider neck. Spruce top & mahogany back/sides.

As I was playing the Cordoba, I was thinking exactly what GGSanders said above (although I hadn't read it yet), that playing a nylon string just takes some time to adjust to. Soloing on the Cordoba felt great, & I just think I have to start learning real jazz voicings for the chords, & stop trying to cover all 6 strings all the time (bad habit from playing so much steel string accompaniment for singing).

Unless anybody here thinks (or knows diff. from personal experience), I thought the Cordorba outshone the Rodriguez in every way except decoration. And I def. prefer mahogany to walnut. I might've had a better comparison between the two if Gtr Ctr had bothered to actually do a decent setup on the Rodriguez, but you know, their loss. I'm planning on going back tom. to Music Folk to get the Cordoba, & hopefully also trade in my Yorkshire amp for this little 60 watt Fishman they've got. I'm giving up on the idea of a chambered-body, not-really-acoustic-guitar like the Godin (too pricey for me, even used), or the ESP LTD, which I sure would've like to try out, if Gtr Ctr didn't insist on me paying for it 1st before I'd even seen it (!). Again, their loss...and thx for the suggestion of a nylon Taylor, but I don't want to spend that much. And besides, I've already got a Taylor!
Old 03-10-2016, 04:56 PM
.tom the übergeek

So....I know this is an old thred BUT....

I picked up a steel string version of the TL-6 last night and spent some time with it last night. Very cool guitar. I am taking it to rehearsal tonight to put it through some real world testing. PM me if you are still in STL and want to see it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
nut width, nylon, slim carve neck