The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-24-2018, 03:08 PM

Default Advice re external mics for crossover guitar please!

Hi guys,

I am seeking advice regarding amplifying a nylon string guitar. I will soon be in possession of a Cervantes Signature Crossover 1 which A.Cervantes is making for me (nearing completion.) I considered asking him to install a pickup in it but decided against it and to keep it free from internal electronics. He said that would have been his choice too for this instrument.

However, I realize that it would still be nice to be able to play it amplified on occasion. Now I am a complete ignoramus when it comes to amplification as I have only ever played purely acoustically and I don't yet know the right terminology for different bits of amplification-related gear.

On Youtube, I've seen clip-on microphones that attach to the outside of the guitar - are any of these any good for example? Of course I would still need a speaker and cable to be heard but I am seeking a relatively simple but high quality rig that I could use for picnics/parties/busking with a minimum of amplification gear to haul around with me.

Any ideas for what might be the best way to amplify a quality nylon string crossover that doesn't involve having a pickup installed?

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dom, UK
Old 02-24-2018, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

You've probably seen the DPA 4099 mic that attaches to your guitar. The other one that's out there is the K&K Meridian. The 4099 sounds good, it's a decent mic. The attachment can be a bit problematic - if you clamp it tightly it can create small dents in your guitar. It can also come loose - see the James Taylor One Man Band DVD where he has it attached to his Olson with duct tape :-)

But the main thing to realize is that the main reasons to use a mic like this are:

1) if you need to move around the stage, and therefore can't sit in front of a mic on a stand
2) Want to be sure to maintain a constant distance between the guitar and mic (this is both a pro and con)

Aside from that, you can simply use a mic on a stand, and have your choice of lots of mics. Micing a guitar works great as long as you have a good sound system, a relatively quiet room, and won't have bleed from other instruments/bandmates.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:40 PM

Hi Doug, and thanks so much for getting back to me.

That's really helpful - I will check out the DPA 4099 and the K&K Meridian. I also appreciate you helping me get a sense of when a clip-on mic might work better than a stationary one and vice versa.

By the way, I was loving playing your some of your DADGAD Christmas arrangements over the festive period, "The First Noel" and "Angels We Have Heard On High" were particularly enjoyed by my listeners!

Thanks so much for all your music and arrangements and it's been great having this brief exchange with you. Best Wishes to you from the UK!

Dom
Old 02-24-2018, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

Always great to hear that my arrangements are getting some use! I'll be interested in how you like that Cervantes, I've been thinking about a nylon string lately.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:06 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhooper View Post
Hi guys,

I am seeking advice regarding amplifying a nylon string guitar. I will soon be in possession of a Cervantes Signature Crossover 1 which A.Cervantes is making for me (nearing completion.) I considered asking him to install a pickup in it but decided against it and to keep it free from internal electronics. He said that would have been his choice too for this instrument.

However, I realize that it would still be nice to be able to play it amplified on occasion. Now I am a complete ignoramus when it comes to amplification as I have only ever played purely acoustically and I don't yet know the right terminology for different bits of amplification-related gear.

On Youtube, I've seen clip-on microphones that attach to the outside of the guitar - are any of these any good for example? Of course I would still need a speaker and cable to be heard but I am seeking a relatively simple but high quality rig that I could use for picnics/parties/busking with a minimum of amplification gear to haul around with me.

Any ideas for what might be the best way to amplify a quality nylon string crossover that doesn't involve having a pickup installed?

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dom, UK
Dom,
This video speaks for itself. It's the biggest bang for the buck, clearly.

https://www.myerspickups.com/see-in-...ecto-de-castro

HE
Old 02-25-2018, 07:50 AM

Doug, yeah, there's something about the tone of a quality nylon string guitar: as much I love my steel string guitars I've been missing the mellifluous sound and expressive capacities of nylon strings for certain pieces. I'm sure I'll post something when my Signature Cervantes arrives - they have some glowing reviews here on the forum although I've not actually played one yet. I'll also be interested to hear what you end up with (assuming to decide to take the plunge!) Take care.

Hi Howard, many thanks for taking the time to get back to me with that - it does indeed sound promising from the video and probably well suited to my needs. I'll look up some more independent reviews to get more perspectives on it and take it from there. Thanks again. Best wishes,

Dom
Old 02-25-2018, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Dom,
This video speaks for itself. It's the biggest bang for the buck, clearly.

https://www.myerspickups.com/see-in-...ecto-de-castro

HE
That's one I haven't come across. Sounds good in the demo! It reminds me of another option, the iSolo https://www.isoloaudio.com/
Old 02-25-2018, 10:51 AM

Thanks a lot Doug: I will investigate the iSolo too. I'd never understood that there was so much to consider when thinking about amplifying a simple acoustic guitar! Well it's good to have people like you and others on the forum to consult whilst on this steep learning curve. Take care,

Dom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification