The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-15-2014, 11:41 AM

I don't really have much to add to what JonPR said. His posts were great.

One thing... don't get too bogged down trying to duplicate a technique you see exactly... If you can get close that's great. But if you find that you're 70-80% there... and you're not getting any closer, I'd say move on. Same with songs... it's ok, even encouraged, to play it a little differently than the person you're learning from.

Your primary test is your ears... if it sounds good to you, it's probably fine.

Last edited by ameetnsharma; 09-15-2014 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:12 PM

Check out Kirby on youtube for songs to learn.He has a lot of free stuff,and you can buy songs with instructions to play it if you want to.

http://www.learn-classic-rock-songs.com/

"In The Wind"
Old 09-15-2014, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

wow....this could be my post exactly....I mean I have the EXACT problem with direction as you do right now. I know about 30 songs and have written a few in about 3 years. However, I still feel like I don't KNOW guitar or understand theory like I should. ANd maybe it's me,or maybe it's just super hard to musical concepts on the guitar, but it really seems like there are very few good teachers I can find that can explain concepts in relation to music and techniques on guitar. Tons of great players sure, but.... I will say though that Toby Walkers guitar packets are awesome! I am having a lot of fun and learning a ton with them!
Old 09-15-2014, 09:20 PM

One thing about learning the guitar... I'm personally working on my ear training... i.e.: hearing something... melody line, and play it back exactly without flubbing around (except for the starting note)... i.e.: have full confidence that I'm playing back exactly what I hear.

So for that purpose I'm trying to memorize the sounds of intervals:
http://www.earmaster.com/products/fr...generator.html

So hear the pair of notes... realize what the interval is... play that interval on the guitar...

I think this is a valuable... but kind of tedious exercise... but I guess it's necessary for me to get to the point of playing solos with full confidence.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameetnsharma View Post
One thing about learning the guitar... I'm personally working on my ear training... i.e.: hearing something... melody line, and play it back exactly without flubbing around (except for the starting note)... i.e.: have full confidence that I'm playing back exactly what I hear.

So for that purpose I'm trying to memorize the sounds of intervals:
http://www.earmaster.com/products/fr...generator.html

So hear the pair of notes... realize what the interval is... play that interval on the guitar...

I think this is a valuable... but kind of tedious exercise... but I guess it's necessary for me to get to the point of playing solos with full confidence.
That sounds cool. Would be good to posses such a tehcnique. Quick question; if your trying to play the interval sounds off the computer/easr master, how do you know which strings to ring/hit? I mean like which strings to hold finger 1 and 2 to produce a similar sound etc? Or would you just replay the sounds using open strings? Sorry, for the constant questions lol
Old 09-16-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud90 View Post
That sounds cool. Would be good to posses such a tehcnique. Quick question; if your trying to play the interval sounds off the computer/easr master, how do you know which strings to ring/hit? I mean like which strings to hold finger 1 and 2 to produce a similar sound etc? Or would you just replay the sounds using open strings? Sorry, for the constant questions lol
No prob. The first note I'd have to find on the neck (just by trial and error)... it's the second note of the interval that I'd need to figure out... similarly with a long melody... I'd need to find the first note by trial and error... but then do the other notes in my head (basically because I don't have perfect pitch... I only have relative pitch... so I need to somehow get that first note to start off).

As far as which strings to use (when there are multiple ways to play the same note)... just pick at random... or do all of them. You want to get familiar with playing from any string...

Here's a website with the ear training exercise for guitar:

http://www.fachords.com/guitar-ear-training/
Old 09-16-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameetnsharma View Post
No prob. The first note I'd have to find on the neck (just by trial and error)... it's the second note of the interval that I'd need to figure out... similarly with a long melody... I'd need to find the first note by trial and error... but then do the other notes in my head (basically because I don't have perfect pitch... I only have relative pitch... so I need to somehow get that first note to start off).

As far as which strings to use (when there are multiple ways to play the same note)... just pick at random... or do all of them. You want to get familiar with playing from any string...

Here's a website with the ear training exercise for guitar:

http://www.fachords.com/guitar-ear-training/
Thanks for the reply. Just checked out that link..seems quite good. Another thing to add to my list haha
Old 09-16-2014, 11:04 AM

woah, i am such a idiot lol. I just reread the beginners section on justinvguitar's page. He mentions something about his beginners book showing which songs to work on (at each stage) in order to implement the skills learnt in every section.. I think thats what i was looking for haha. Something to lead me into demonstrating the skills/knowldge learnt so, it doesn't feel like it's gone to waste.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:08 PM

Yo cloud. I didn't have the time to read all the replies, just the first few, but i thought I would quickly write to say your definitely not alone. I wrote a post almost exactly the same as this not a month ago. I have also been playing for 2
years.

I have set a goal now to play one night at the local jazz club, probably some time next year, just doing backing guitar. In order to do so I need to be able to see jazz chords and form them quickly, so this has given me something to focus on and also I personally feel like if I can say "I played guitar at the local jazz club" I will feel like i am a pretty accomplished player. I don't even like Jazz.

I think my point was that being an accomplished player and making progress is different for everyone, however I have noticed now that i have set this goal and practice for at least 15 minutes a day I am able to see myself improve in the following areas that gives me feeling of mastering the instrument:

Picking Skills, be it flat, finger picking, strumming, getting the timing and technique down.
Chord Knowledge/memory and Ability to form them quickly, also knowing how chords are built and how they relate to each other is handy.
Scales, knowledge/memory and ability to play them smooth/fast.
Ear Training knowing what key your in.

All I am doing is simply learning songs in the different picking styles that challenge me, about 3-5 at a time. I am also learning the notes of the fret board (cant believe i never did this) practicing scales and more difficult chords.

Sorry if that was a pretty badly constructed reply, but I hope that is helpful in some way.

Cheers,
Si
Taylor: GS Mini
Maton: 225
Traveler Guitar: Escape Mark III
Epiphone: 220
Old 09-16-2014, 01:16 PM

duplicate post.
Taylor: GS Mini
Maton: 225
Traveler Guitar: Escape Mark III
Epiphone: 220
Old 09-16-2014, 03:53 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1u9coOKE1s

This vid really cleared a few things for me
Old 09-23-2014, 03:14 PM

Ok guys, I have now drawn a guide which i believe will get me to the level of flexibility i want to achieve. I considered everyone's response and did a lil soul searching. I have realized the level i want to reach to. I want to be able to make my own song and also be able to improvise on the spot. I think my problem in the beginning was prob due to impatience and just lack of direction.

So, i have made a list of things i am going to do, in order to get to that levelo of flexibility (Feel free, to add any suggestions )
-learn as m,any songs as possible
-follow justinguitar's vids
- learn chords and scales
-make my own songs
-learn how to improvise
-eventually will like to play r&b/jazz guitar (i am assuming this is just a matter of knowing and being able to play the chords, right?)

What do you think guys? Anything to add? I was thinking of concentrating on each step separately when practicing for the 2 or 3 hrs , that i practice daily. Or would i make faster progress, by trying to concentrate on lil portions of each step in my 2-3 daily practice, sessions?

I am guessing, the same steps could be applied to learning the keyboard, right? I kinda know how to play it but would like to reach the level mentioned above, in terms of skills.

Thanks!

Last edited by cloud90; 09-23-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:45 PM

what do you guys, think?
Old 09-24-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud90 View Post
what do you guys, think?
Looks good to me cloud90.

When you practice, watch out for unnecessary tension (physical and mental)... this is an insidious killer of creativity and improvement... When I'm mentally anxious, everything falls apart... my time is off... more and more mistakes creep in... I have to put in twice as much energy to get half as much done.

I subconsciously start tensing up while playing... then when I finally notice... I have to consciously loosen up.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

I don't have as much experience as many of the above posters, and I appreciate all of the feedback also. I have come a long way on my journey with the guitar, however. One thing I discovered was that there are a lot of beautiful melodies out there, and many if not most, have arrangements that can be improved upon.

I took a simple melody, a children's song, and worked with it and arrived at the most beautiful arrangement. I used none of the standard cords and work my way up and down the neck of the guitar, not because that was my intent, but because as I discovered the chords and partial chords that I wanted to use, they came to life of their own accord.

It wasn't until long afterwards, that I tried to figure out what chords I had used. I do find that I can now use my ear to find the notes that work, and often they are ninth, or eleventh or whatever.

But I do find that it is extremely rare that any of the basic 21 chords end up in anything I play. That was not by design either. I never had much of an inclination to learn the standard chords. I simply picked beautiful songs, and worked the songs ploddingly.

I've a ways to go, including improving at dynamics, but I'm very proud of the distance I have come, and encourage you to keep working your songs.

In some cases, I paid a teacher to transcribe the songs from utube, as I wanted the music for the specific version of the songs I discovered. Or - I would contact the arranger or writer and get the music that way. When I heard Larry's version of Waltzing Matilda, I got the music from Larry as I recall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvMKfkl3YGw

It's a wonderful song, and I've enjoyed learning it. thx Larry! It's in DADGAD, but I have always liked to try different tunings. I do suggest you work in standard for a while though. There is enough to learn there.

p.s. Stefan is playing a Nick Kukich guitar above - under the Franklin name. Sounds lovely.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write