The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-03-2014, 03:24 AM

You are right Jon I am confused by the unusual use of the word chord.

I'm going with P+
As far as I can tell.
The two scale segments are the descending in the first line and the (end bar 10 to bar 13) and the ascending at the end of the page. (bars 19 and 20)
There are not enough notes for a PT or TP and too many notes for a simple Tetrachord.

( I have heard before of the concept that the major scale is made up of two sets of 4 notes with a tone between each set.) (tone, tone, semitone)(tone)(tone, tone, semitone)
Old 09-03-2014, 05:22 AM

The last note in bar 10 plus bars eleven and twelve make up an embellished terachord. The seven notes in bars nineteen and twenty might be an embellished pentachord, embellished at both ends. I'm not sure from the examples given if the embellishing notes have to be half the value of notes in the pentachord or not.

Edit.
I've just done what I used to tell my students to do and read the question carefully. I think I would now bracket the last note of bar 10 to the first note of bar 13 and circle P+ for embellished pentachord. Bars 19 and 20 also contain an embellished pentachord.

Last edited by stanron; 09-03-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:54 PM

I got some feedback last night on how class went yesterday. Evidently, the teacher is contacting his college teacher for an answer. Great. Kind of what I suspected. There was some supposed discussion and argument in class that the pentachord was just any five notes. That's just not gonna fly.

I did order the teacher edition of the workbook so I can see for myself what the author's intended for an answer to their workbook questions. I'll know more when that book arrives.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:13 PM

Default It's an AP class, so I'm guessing it is going to be a college level class. In a sense

you got good feed back. I am just going to say stick with it you will use it if you play others that can read and write. it will be easer to communicate with them so just hang in there and one day you will say wow I am glad I had this .
Old 09-27-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post
The last note in bar 10 plus bars eleven and twelve make up an embellished terachord. The seven notes in bars nineteen and twenty might be an embellished pentachord, embellished at both ends. I'm not sure from the examples given if the embellishing notes have to be half the value of notes in the pentachord or not.

Edit.
I've just done what I used to tell my students to do and read the question carefully. I think I would now bracket the last note of bar 10 to the first note of bar 13 and circle P+ for embellished pentachord. Bars 19 and 20 also contain an embellished pentachord.
i haven't spent too much time on this, but the book blurb, page 384 mentions linear tetrachords and pentachords, so my guess is that only bars 19 and 20 should be bracketed and marked with a P+. but maybe my uniformed assumption that the notes need to be ascending and consecutive is incorrect.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write