The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-24-2014, 06:15 PM

Default Miche - On Sitting and Standing

In this video I talk about how we sit when we practice and stand when we perform and not notice that they're two different guitar positions..
http://youtu.be/i5VwdGtnQ2g
Old 09-24-2014, 06:46 PM

It's a few years since I resolved the seated/standing conundrum by always using a strap. It doesn't work on a very low seat or couch but then again I don't use low seats or couches so there's no problem for me there. Seated or standing the guitar is always in the same position.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post
It's a few years since I resolved the seated/standing conundrum by always using a strap. It doesn't work on a very low seat or couch but then again I don't use low seats or couches so there's no problem for me there. Seated or standing the guitar is always in the same position.
That's a good idea Stan. For me, I feel comfortable on a low chair (for most things), even wearing a strap will tip the neck up. If the strap is low enough where I'm comfortable, I may as well not wear it at all. However your point is a good one and I'm sure others may benefit from it. Thank you for input. I wish I had thought of it.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:19 PM

I have also noticed this problem. When I practice, I sit, and when I perform solo, I also sit. No problem there. But when I play with my band, we all stand. I do notice it throws me off sometimes. I also notice a more subtle difference when I am sitting, but in a chair that is a different height from the floor. I prefer a low chair, like you.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 09-25-2014, 02:30 PM

Maybe I'm lucky... I caught on to it right away (I had an opportunity to play out almost immediately - and learned from a lot of mistakes very fast).

Now I only play with a strap on (seated or standing) and I practice everything both seated, and standing. In fact, I tend to prefer practice standing unless it is something new - at which time I sit to be closer to the book/paper.

I used to place my strap so the guitar hung in the same position standing that it would be if I was sitting. However, since picking up the electric, I now play everything with a shorter strap... I just didn't like the way the jack was bumping my leg. I also found the angle was better on my wrists when the guitar sat up a little higher to my chest.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post
the other advantage to using a strap is that you are not using your hands to hold the guitar, just to play it.

the relief on hand muscles is worth trying it out, if you don't already use a strap.

standing, for players who also are singers, is preferred for the reason of more air in the diaphragm.

yours in tune,
amyfb

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 09-25-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyFB View Post
the other advantage to using a strap is that you are not using your hands to hold the guitar, just to play it.

the relief on hand muscles is worth trying it out, if you don't already use a strap.

standing, for players who also are singers, is preferred for the reason of more air in the diaphragm.

yours in tune,
amyfb

Exactly...... hands are for playing the guitar, straps are for holding the guitar.

Cheers.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write