The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-10-2015, 04:10 AM

Default H4N vs H5 Zoom

This may have been hashed out, but I read through many of the threads and don't see it. I want to record two guitars via the xlr input jacks, and I want those channels to be discrete. I will just use the onboard mics for ambiance/out from recording and those needn't be discrete. I'd rather not mess with a workaround solution to break stereo channels apart in post.
So, is the H5 in fact the least expensive of these machines that will give us discrete plug in/xlr tracks when we download to our DAW?
Thanks very much.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoryDavis View Post
This may have been hashed out, but I read through many of the threads and don't see it. I want to record two guitars via the xlr input jacks, and I want those channels to be discrete. I will just use the onboard mics for ambiance/out from recording and those needn't be discrete. I'd rather not mess with a workaround solution to break stereo channels apart in post.
So, is the H5 in fact the least expensive of these machines that will give us discrete plug in/xlr tracks when we download to our DAW?
Thanks very much.
Zoom manuals can take some effort, but they're on line and readily available for study.

The H4n is less expensive than the H5. Pages 54-55 or so of the H4n manual indicates that you can get two stereo files in 4 Track mode and independent mono and stereo in MTR mode. (Breaking a stereo file into two mono tracks takes about three mouse clicks in REAPER, by the way.)

I haven't used an H5 but the H6 does make it very straightforward to do what you wish and I believe the H5 operates in very similar fashion. And in my experience the H6 has a bit friendlier user interface than the H4n along with slightly improved noise performance.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 08-10-2015, 09:09 PM

Thanks Fran, those manuals are challenging, you re right, I looked at the H4n very closely, and still was questioning. Thanks for your advice/input/knowledge, much appreciated.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:02 AM

Nothing much to add to this except the H6 is probably worth the investment over the 5.
Martin J40
Old 08-12-2015, 12:33 PM

Thanks everybody. Final question then I am going to open my wallet (unprecedented!!!ha). If I get the H4, for budgetary reasons, I will want to break the stereo track from the line in's into 2 separate tracks. I understand there are various workarounds. But does this diminish the quality of the sound when you do this? Thanks, I really appreciate everyone ringing in.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Thanks everybody. Final question then I am going to open my wallet (unprecedented!!!ha). If I get the H4, for budgetary reasons, I will want to break the stereo track from the line in's into 2 separate tracks. I understand there are various workarounds. But does this diminish the quality of the sound when you do this? Thanks, I really appreciate everyone ringing in.
Nope. All you are doing is separating a stereo track. Most DAWS do this. You always have a left and a right.
Martin J40
Old 08-12-2015, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The quality of the tracks won't change whether you have a stereo track or separate tracks for each mic input. The recording resolution (16 or 24 bit) and sampling rate (44.1, 48, 96KHz) may have an effect on 'quality' but you may not notice it. If you do a good job setting your recorded levels it may not matter much.

The difference that might actually matter to you is the self noise of the H4n compared to the H5/H6.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 08-12-2015, 08:15 PM

I've always kinda ragged on the H4n because when I bought mine I was hoping for a substantial improvement over my original H2, and I didn't feel that the H4n was substantially better. Basically, I didn't feel that I could cut my second CD on the H4n.

But since then thousands of people have found use for this recorder, and one player I really respect has done a few videos with audio from the H4n. I gathered up some of Doug Young's Youtube clips into a playlist that gives some idea of the results possible with this Zoom recorder: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...MQnl5ESaIAOnj5

Now it's true that Doug is using a pair of wonderful mics on this recording, and he's playing some spectacular guitars, and he is a master of touch, tone, and taste. But what's clear to me is that the H4n is not getting in the way.

For the whole picture, I'd add that these days Doug is using an H6 in the same role.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 08-12-2015, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Don't underestimate the noise issue with the H4N and earlier models. Regardless of features, the H4N is noisy and you may (will likely?) find that a detriment after a time.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:33 AM

Just ordered the H5 everybody! Thanks for all the perspective, Invaluable!!!!
Old 08-14-2015, 05:26 AM

Well, OK then.

Here's my take on the H5.

http://tyfordaudiovideo.blogspot.com...n-4-and-6.html

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 08-15-2015, 04:37 AM

Ty, excellent review, I wish I had read that before, it would have made the decision easier. So far so good. I agree the manual is well written (I saw some thing that could be more clear but overall, very good). I'm enjoying the H5 and will get a lot of use out of it. I got it for live work but I am now re-thinking my home studio recording setup, making this more integral. Thanks again.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD