The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-20-2015, 06:07 AM

Default Help recording first fingerstyle Youtube video...

Hi all,

Long time lurker here who really wants to start recording some videos for Youtube and would appreciate any advice from you all as some great videos have been made by members of the forum.

My recording setup:

- Apogee One
- Canon DLSR 70D with 18-135 STM and 50mm 1.8 STM (Zoom and Prime lens)
- Tripod
- Taylor 414ce
- Macbook Pro

Intended method:

Audio - Record using Apogee One in Garageband and export to iTunes to import into Video

Video - Record several videos from different angles and import audio track from iTunes.

Does this method seem correct or am I missing something out?

Look forward to any help!

Shaun
Old 06-20-2015, 07:30 AM

How do you intend to shoot video from several different angles with a single camera?
Old 06-20-2015, 07:37 AM

I was going to try and record the same song a few times from different angles and then attach them in iMovie.

The audio would be recorded separately so this should not be an issue as long as it is synced properly.

Is this the correct method?
Old 06-20-2015, 10:09 AM

I would record audio with each video angle. It's more work syncing three or four times, but the sync will be tighter. I have never worked with iMovie so I don't know how well it handles multiple audio and video streams. If necessary, I would sync each audio/video capture, render as a new clip with the audio replaced, then cut between the different angles using these renders.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 06-21-2015, 06:17 AM

+1

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 06-25-2015, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawler View Post
I was going to try and record the same song a few times from different angles and then attach them in iMovie.

The audio would be recorded separately so this should not be an issue as long as it is synced properly.

Is this the correct method?
Hi, this is exactly what we do & found it the best/easiest way to get decent vids. Recording audio same time as video can be pretty frustrating, especially with fingerstyle as it doesn't take much to fluff something! A lot of my son's earlier vids were recorded with audio/video at the same time, but could sometimes take days to get a perfect take...and he's quite fussy. Now it's so much quicker, plus wee can do the multi angle stuff easily.

Here's an example done like you said -
May not be perfect & I guess someone could figure out it was done separately but it's close enough. So yeah he (son Joseph) usually records the audio first in his room, so less pressure, then he plays along to it while I video (dslr).

& yeah we just use iMovie & garageband, nothing else. We record the whole thing once from front, then just a few segments from different angles. Put the whole video & audio in iMovie, line up etc, then just cut in the other shots, so no more syncing etc. Would imagine far easier than recording separate bits of audio etc, if it's only for youtube/facebook should be good enough.

Let me know if I can help with iMovie etc. To be honest I know very little about this stuff but have found the best way for us & sounds like it's the same kinda thing you're thinking of

Last edited by greynz; 06-25-2015 at 04:11 AM. Reason: added stuff..
Old 07-20-2015, 09:17 PM

...or you can go a bit further & do stuff like this

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD