The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-10-2024, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Default Martin Nut Removal Question:

I've got a new-ish 2023 00-18s and the nut is cut poorly, the high "E" string is too close the the edge of the fingerboard and will slip off if I'm not super careful. It's a great guitar otherwise.

It's been a couple years since I've done a Martin nut and just need a refresher about removal and the finish on the headstock.

Is it necessary to score the finish where the nut hits the head stock? Sure looks like that edge is lacquered over. BTW, it's a slot head.

I've watched a few YouTube videos dealing w/ Martin nut removal and it's not mentioned.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 02-10-2024, 11:44 AM

I think there's no downside to scoring the joint between nut and neck. The nut's coming off anyway, might as well try to assure that it won't take some finish with it.
Old 02-10-2024, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
I've got a new-ish 2023 00-18s and the nut is cut poorly, the high "E" string is too close the the edge of the fingerboard and will slip off if I'm not super careful.
If you just wan't to move the E string slot, why would like you remove the complete nut?
Old 02-10-2024, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henning View Post
If you just wan't to move the E string slot, why would like you remove the complete nut?
I'm a fan of correct string spacing. Certainly wouldn't want the E&B closer together than the rest of the strings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair