The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-27-2024, 08:51 PM

Default Tuners Grinding...replacements?

My OM18 special from Gruhns has what APPEAR to be the same Grovers that are in my OM28 and OM18 (both reimagined) However, they GRIND into place
On my other guitars I smoothly turn the tuner and can precisely park into tune, but on the 'bad' set, when I turn them they seem to grab...tension builds, JERK, grab....tension...jerk. I Inevitably end up a smidge sharp and then have to undo and start over..it just makes for long tuning.

I took it back to Gruhn right after I bought it and they replaced the worst offender, but since then a few more have gotten that feel. I was wondering if maybe it had to do with the set? Maybe it's a bad batch, ...and only on that guitar though they are all played in the same environment, stored in the same place,etc....

The only thing that might be different in sinker vs regular mahogany...that wouldn't be it , would it?

Regardless...what would be a reasonably priced upgrade replacement set? Is there anything I can do do mitigate that grindy-ness?
Thanks
Old 01-27-2024, 09:04 PM

Default Tuners or possibly the nut.

If the nut slots are tight or poorly cut you can get the issue you describe, but it it’s the tuners the sleeves they are not hard to source and you could just reaped the whole set yourself.
Old 01-30-2024, 10:48 AM

Modern open Grovers do have occasional issues. They have a lifetime warranty, if you want to bother with it. I prefer Gotoh SE700's.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair