The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-20-2024, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Default Replacement tuners for OM-18V

I'm considering upgrading the tuners on my recently purchased 2002 Martin. Nothing wrong with the OEM Martin-branded tuners on it now, but I might want to dress it up a bit.

Does anybody know of a brand of tuner that would drop right in? I'm open to Waverlys or Schallers or Gotohs or any good tuner that would be an upgrade.

They would have to drop right in, though. I don't want to drill any holes or ream anything out.

If such a thing doesn't exist, then I'll just keep the OEMs.

TIA.

20240116_121527.jpg

Last edited by KenL; 01-20-2024 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-25-2024, 02:17 AM

Default You’ll need to take some measurements…

Using a Vernier or digital calliper.

With those you can then compare with the detailed dimensions available on the manufacturers’ websites and StewMac.

A word of caution. Waverly tuners are expensive but I would never choose to fit them in an instrument. I’ve found them to often be stiff, uneven, and on more than one occasion have needed to get replacements. The only plus is that StewMac will provide new tuners without question, but that doesn’t remove the hassle.

Grovers are excellent and inexpensive, Gotohs are as well but more expensive and a little harder to source, Schallers also very good, especially the GrandTune models.

In all cases you’ll probably need to remove and replace the bushings and this can be trickier than people think.
Old 01-25-2024, 08:19 AM

The Martin vintage series guitars were made with Gotoh tuners that have the Martin brand on them. They are a good enough tuning machine based on my experience, but if you want to upgrade, from some info I've read on the Martin forum, the Gotoh SE 700 tuners are a highly-recommended retrofit that are a drop-in replacement. As nikpearson suggested, I'd want to verify the drop-in part by comparing some measurements from the Gotoh web site to what your tuners have (headstock hole diameter, distance between the two mounting screws etc).
Old 01-26-2024, 03:55 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, guys. This endeavor got complicated fast.

I think I'll just stick with the originals, especially now that you've confirmed that they were made by Gotoh.

They seem to function just fine. A brass cog or ebony buttons would be nice, but I can live without either.

Thanks for the input!
Old 01-29-2024, 11:14 PM

Default a thought

OEM parts that have the headstock name engraved on them but are sourced from some Famous Maker may be made to the OEM guitar manufacturer's standards and budget, not to the tuner manufacturer's standards, seeing as the tuner manufacturer's name ain't on the part. Just cuz xxx is a respected manufacturer, the stuff they make is made to contract, not their own specifications, but there's no prohibition against putting an OEM logo on a standard product.
Old 01-30-2024, 10:39 AM

In spite of the modern tuners from Waverly or Grover, an unplated gear has traditionally been associated with cheaper tuners.
When modern Waverly tuners were first introduced, the gear was nickel plated. Waverly prides itself on using superior materials (bronze gear and stainless steel worm) coupled with more precise machining. They stopped plating the gear reputedly because the tolerance was so tight that the plating was interfering with the function.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair