The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-21-2012, 08:04 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalebk View Post
I'm not a big fan of full sized booms for singing while playing guitar. As already mentioned, it's too easy for the counterweight to get knocked around. However, I also don't like goosenecks. I have a few mini booms that work really well. They don't provide the versatility that full sized booms and goose necks do, but they're all I need to move the stand away from my guitar. Here's a link to one model:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...52054000000107
I've got a few of these....for such a modest price ($7.50, when bought new, about 5 or 6 years ago), they've held up to 3-5 gigs a week, every week, nicely.

Perfect for putting my percussionist's vocal mic right where she needs it.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:54 PM

So how is that any better than a 6" gooseneck? Just curious... But I'd rather have a short gooseneck that that short rigid OnStage "boom".
Old 03-22-2012, 06:51 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Be very afraid of booms!

See this VIDEO - at the end

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-22-2012, 07:08 AM

That just made my morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Be very afraid of booms!

Bob
Old 03-22-2012, 07:37 AM

I rest my case...
Old 03-22-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
So how is that any better than a 6" gooseneck? Just curious... But I'd rather have a short gooseneck that that short rigid OnStage "boom".
I have two complaints about goosenecks:

1. They can make a lot of noise when adjusting with hot mic.
2. After a while, they don't always hold their position very well, requiring multiple adjustments.

I find the mini boom moves the stand just far enough away that I never hit the stand with my guitar.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:20 PM

Fair enough, although a 6" gooseneck holds it's position very well and not all of them squeak or make any more noise than adjusting the clutch on a boom does.

That mini boom does look very useful, for sure, though.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:26 PM

I use a tripod/boom mostly because out folds up and transports more easily than a round base stand.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:00 AM

For me, the mini-boom gets a slight nod over the 6" gooseneck, but the round base gets a strong preference over the tripod. Tripods take up too much floorspace, and they are usually too flimsy.

Besides, even though round bases are heavier, base stands have a long history of providing both cool looking vocalist props and the occasional crowd control defensive weapon. ; )
Old 03-23-2012, 08:54 AM
Guest 2143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Be very afraid of booms!

Bob
Some of the comments below the video insist that it did not really happen as it appears. Sure looks convincing to me, though I do not understand how that mic could go down her throat like that....
Old 03-23-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Sure looks convincing to me, though I do not understand how that mic could go down her throat like that....
Close your eyes while opening your mouth wide for a big long note and have your wife/GF stand in front of you with a banana and shove it. You'll be expecting it and will crunch down faster than if it was a total surprise, but I imagine it'll get pretty far into your mouth. Looked like she lost a tooth or two in the process, as I saw one or two being spit out...
Old 03-23-2012, 04:59 PM

I use the On stage mini boom. Gets me just far enough back. I like the old style of playing without a boom also. Back in the 70's I used my stand for slide. When I used the boom stands, some of my mic's noise dived into the floor, which wasn't fun and didn't happen with the strait stands.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:36 PM
Guest 2143

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
Close your eyes while opening your mouth wide for a big long note and have your wife/GF stand in front of you with a banana and shove it. You'll be expecting it and will crunch down faster than if it was a total surprise, but I imagine it'll get pretty far into your mouth. Looked like she lost a tooth or two in the process, as I saw one or two being spit out...
While I appreciate your suggestion for experimenting with jamming large objects down my throat, I think I'll pass By the way, a banana is no where near as wide as an SM58, which is what that mic appears to be.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanJeff View Post
I prefer a tripod base stand with a boom. As others have noted, the tripod base affords room for floor pedals. A boom is much more versatile than a gooseneck, allowing you more adjustment range for distance and angle. Where you have plenty of room, you can use a more acute angle on the boom; if you're in tight quarters, where the boom might get bumped, you can have very little angle at all, and on shallow but wider stages you can even off-set the stand and boom so that the stand is off to one side while the boom positions the mic correctly in front of you. A tripod and boom usually can collapse down rapidly and more compactly for travel; you'd have to unscrew a gooseneck to reduce the total height of the assembly. Lastly, it's important to use a high quality product. Cheap stands and booms won't provide the stability of better units, and are more difficult to adjust easily.
+1. Well put, Jeff. K&M tripod base with a 2-stage boom. Versatile, collapsible, stable, adjustable, repairable. It's the industry standard in professional audio for a reason. It'll cost you $75 or so, but it's better to buy quality once.

J

Taylor 714ce
Old 03-26-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomaynor View Post
For me, the mini-boom gets a slight nod over the 6" gooseneck, but the round base gets a strong preference over the tripod. Tripods take up too much floorspace, and they are usually too flimsy.
+1 here; I have been using this combo for a couple years now, and have had no mishaps or stand/boom drops, or bashed in the mouth issues. I do, however, have a foam windscreen on my SM58 that I use for all gigs, indoor and outdoors. I can see where that might save a tooth or two from a drunk stumbling into my space.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification