The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-08-2024, 06:00 PM

Default Recording a miked acoustic amp

I really hate the sound of even a good acoustic guitar pickup recorded directly. Somehow though, I don’t mind the sound of that same pickup going into a nice acoustic amp, and mixing that amp. No it doesn’t sound like a miked guitar, but it is a really good sound that is absolutely appropriate for recording live performances for YouTube videos.

Is it just me, or do other people like this sound as well?
Old 03-08-2024, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

The clips I posted on our duo website are amplified acoustic guitars and vocals captured with a Blue Snowball USB mic into Garage Band. Sounds good to me!
Old 03-08-2024, 06:45 PM

I agree that a miked amp usually beats the DI. If I can, I like to put up a mic on the guitar as well and record that separately, even if it doesn’t go into the PA.

Couch Standards
Old 03-08-2024, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I really hate the sound of even a good acoustic guitar pickup recorded directly. Somehow though, I don’t mind the sound of that same pickup going into a nice acoustic amp, and mixing that amp. No it doesn’t sound like a miked guitar, but it is a really good sound that is absolutely appropriate for recording live performances for YouTube videos.

Is it just me, or do other people like this sound as well?
Direct mics if I have a choice, but there are situations where a direct signal from pickup to the recorder has its advantages, like bypassing all the external room noise, or particularly as a way of getting a isolated dry signal in without any bleed from a vocal mic or any other instruments.

For me personally, micing an amp is the worst possible combination. Room noise, vocal bleed, and less than ideal sonic properties that my pickup and amps impart to the resulting signal. YMMV, or course.

All that said, if you like your miced sound you SHOULD be a able to come up with a pretty similar sound going direct in and utilizing some good plug ins. Light compression, EQ, and a good reverb should be able to get you really close. Sometimes it requires considerable trial and error.

You do have the option of re-amping a dry signal if the amp coloration is something you must have.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD