The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-18-2012, 09:29 AM

Default That feeling when...

...you piece together some riffs and runs to make a good sounding little ditty is pretty awesome!

I'm fairly new at guitar, so I'm trying to soak up as much information as I can...I've learned some basic riffs, runs, and other drills through a few different sites, chatting with some folks, and experimenting on my own. I finally nailed it 2 nights ago when, on a whim, I linked 3 of these little riffs together! It sounded kinda cool, albeit a little disjointed...But with some work, I'm sure I can make it sound smooth
Old 12-18-2012, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Craig View Post
...you piece together some riffs and runs to make a good sounding little ditty is pretty awesome!

I'm fairly new at guitar, so I'm trying to soak up as much information as I can...I've learned some basic riffs, runs, and other drills through a few different sites, chatting with some folks, and experimenting on my own. I finally nailed it 2 nights ago when, on a whim, I linked 3 of these little riffs together! It sounded kinda cool, albeit a little disjointed...But with some work, I'm sure I can make it sound smooth
Hi Craig....

Yup. I relate. The thing that helped me to do this with more regularity was to begin keeping a small recording device near me in my practice space. I would be inspired with a new ditty in the middle of something else and think "I'll have to remember that…" only to forget it.

Now I capture those and listen to them later. And definitely stringing them together is viable.

Another thing I've found useful is to jam on them with my gigging partner so we get two player's takes on them. We hear things differently and collaborate on many things musical.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-20-2012, 08:34 AM

Good for you...
If you think about it, music is just a bunch of licks, or, better said phrases or motifs.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:15 AM

+1 to what Larry said. I've done this with my guitar partner often. At times the tune stays an individual piece, other times we're able to move that individual tune to something we can do together with a newly developed elements that works into the original.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 12-20-2012, 07:46 PM

Hi Craig,
It's a great feeling of accomplishment and feels like a huge step forward. Looking back to my first times of playing licks I remember that interspersing chords and licks helped me get my feet on the ground. Play a bar of chord then play a bar of lick. Then chord, then lick. Helps with timing and also give you an idea of which licks compliment which chord. Also valuable is a method to keep your timing.
You've opened an exiting door and I wish you the best in your experimentation. It's really fun when the light bulb above your head suddenly hits high beam.

Blues

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write