The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-17-2012, 12:24 AM

Default Playing clean chords

I am just starting out - working on playing a chromatic scale as a finger exercise and playing just three chords - C, G, and D7. I find it very difficult to play a clean chord - I almost always have a string or two muted because I'm touching it with a finger. No matter how hard I try to use my fingertips, I can't seem to get all the strings clean - I guess I have fat fingers.

Is this something that will steadily improve as I practice and as my fingers get calloused? If it matters, I'm playing a Yamaha FG700S. Thanks and I hope you can offer me some encouragement and advice. Jon
Old 12-17-2012, 12:55 AM

Default Playing clean chords

I had to chuckle, I am pretty sure everyone goes through that, but it you truly do have fat fingers you could look into a guitar with a wider neck, or at least try one at a music store to see if it is a problem.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:57 AM
phmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonCr View Post
I find it very difficult to play a clean chord - I almost always have a string or two muted because I'm touching it with a finger. No matter how hard I try to use my fingertips, I can't seem to get all the strings clean - I guess I have fat fingers.
If 700+ pound Brudda Iz can play clean chords on a ukulele then you can probably do it on a guitar after some time in the woodshed
Old 12-17-2012, 01:00 AM
Charter Member

This is a decent video on the left hand. I would have my thumb a little more towards the center of the neck, but it depends in part on hand size and the chord being played.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8m...ion-on-an_news

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 12-17-2012, 01:07 AM

Thanks for the advice and the video reference. I'm sure it will get better, but it sure is frustrating at first. I can do the G major pretty well, but the C is a bit of a stretch and gives me some trouble. Jon
Old 12-17-2012, 02:22 AM

The only reason you should have insurmountable problems is if the width of your fingertip (when pressed to a string) is as wide as the distance between three strings. If your fingers really are that fat, it will be impossible for you to play one string without touching another. Otherwise, it's always possible to centre the finger on the required string and not touch those either side.
"Possible", however, doesn't mean "easy"! Learning guitar is all about building flexibility in the fingers. (strength and speed, yes, but mainly flexibility.)

Make sure your fingernails are as short as you can get them, so the fingertip can stand at right angles to the string. If you can touch the wood of the fretboard with your fingernail, it's too long.

Of course, with most chord shapes, you'll never get all your fingertips standing up at that angle; but it's an ideal to aim for, get as close as you can.
As rick says, you could try "proper" classical hand position (thumb pad on back of neck, opposing fingertips), but also try raising the neck and bringing it back a little.
There should be air between the bottom edge of the neck and your palm, whatever chord you are holding (more experienced players have the flexibility to cradle the neck in their palm, but few beginners can play well this way).
Keep the fret arm elbow at 90 degrees or less; this will give your fingers their best chance.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:41 AM

Are you placing your fingers down vertically on the strings, or sort of laying them over diagonally from the side? The angle is really important; you can't have your fingers touching neighboring strings. The previous comment about having the guitar neck in the right position should help a lot.

I suspect you just need more practice. The correct hand position feels a bit unnatural at first. Also, you may be pressing too hard, which can flatten and spread your fingertips. You only need enough pressure to place the strings firmly against the frets. This is a habit I'm trying to correct. And of course, be sure you're placing the fingers right behind the frets.

Best solution? Just keep at it. Try playing in front of a mirror, so you can check and adjust your hand position as you go.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:55 AM

All the above is good advice. But the bottom line is probably just that this will take time.

Play guitar a lot, always striving for a good, clean sound. It won't necessarily sound great at first, or for a long while, but enjoy the ride, and revel in the gradual improvement and the small triumphs along the way. Things will gradually get better and better, but getting to the point of having really good, clean, controlled, nuanced right and left hand technique will likely take years of playing.

Don't get frustrated. Even though sometimes it will feel like you are never going to get it, keep working at it, and almost certainly, eventually things will really begin to click. Again, this will likely take years, during which time you will have lots and lots of fun with your guitar. At some point you will realize you have improved immensely, though you will always find new things to work on. You will never have reason to get bored - even when you get to be a very accomplished player there will always be new challenges!
Old 12-17-2012, 06:52 AM

I'm a newbie too (also new to this forum) and I sure hope y'all are right about it getting better with practice. Seems that my fingers and hands just don't want to do what they're told!
Old 12-17-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa12drvr View Post
I'm a newbie too (also new to this forum) and I sure hope y'all are right about it getting better with practice. Seems that my fingers and hands just don't want to do what they're told!
Just keep telling them...
They'll get it in the end.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
The only reason you should have insurmountable problems is if the width of your fingertip (when pressed to a string) is as wide as the distance between three strings. If your fingers really are that fat, it will be impossible for you to play one string without touching another.
I don't think my fingers are really that fat - I was mostly kidding. I do think it is a centering issue - I also have my fingers diagonal at times. I'm working on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Make sure your fingernails are as short as you can get them, so the fingertip can stand at right angles to the string. If you can touch the wood of the fretboard with your fingernail, it's too long.
This isn't a problem as I'm a nail biter. My nails are very short.

Thanks. Jon

Last edited by JonCr; 12-17-2012 at 07:34 AM. Reason: typo correction
Old 12-17-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunargent View Post
Are you placing your fingers down vertically on the strings, or sort of laying them over diagonally from the side? The angle is really important; you can't have your fingers touching neighboring strings. The previous comment about having the guitar neck in the right position should help a lot.

I suspect you just need more practice. The correct hand position feels a bit unnatural at first. Also, you may be pressing too hard, which can flatten and spread your fingertips. You only need enough pressure to place the strings firmly against the frets. This is a habit I'm trying to correct. And of course, be sure you're placing the fingers right behind the frets.

Best solution? Just keep at it. Try playing in front of a mirror, so you can check and adjust your hand position as you go.
I do think I'm having an issue with always getting the fingers down vertically instead of diagonally. I'm still working on the placement of the left hand so the fingers get the proper angle. I'm hoping that improves as strength and flexibility increase.

I also agree with your suggestion that I'm pressing too hard. I do think that is an issue too as I find myself putting a death grip on the string at times.

It all looks so easy when other people do it!
Old 12-17-2012, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonCr View Post
...Is this something that will steadily improve as I practice and as my fingers get calloused? If it matters, I'm playing a Yamaha FG700S. Thanks and I hope you can offer me some encouragement and advice. Jon
Hi Jon...

It is likely to get better with practice.

If the guitar is setup properly and the action set low enough so that the strings press easily, it will happen more quickly.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-17-2012, 08:45 AM

The number one thing my son heard for the first six months when he started taking lessons: "Fingertips!" Focus on getting those fingertips as close to perpendicular to the fretboard as possible. This applies to chords and single notes. There's an exercise that's really helpful for this - if I have time I'll try to post it later.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:32 PM

In addition to the above posts it is important to note the mechanics of a strum.
Form the chord, press down as you strum, let up. No need to hold the chord when it is not being played.
Form the chord, press down as you strum, let up when it's over. The longer you hold the chord the more sustain there will be. You decide.
Play a C chord and let up.
Play an F chord and let up.
Play a G chord then let up.

Keep working till you get it clean.

Do it over and over till you hook up with the action.

Blues

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write