The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-15-2010, 01:04 PM

Default Fingerboard,for help!

guys,
I recently saw such a guitar from woolson`s website,Then I noticed the fingerboard is very special. I am very interested in such a fingerboard, but I don`t know how it was made and why it was that?

(The name of this style fingerboard ?)

I hope to know how this thing made and Fret Calculated.

This summer I start to relearn my English (my mother tongue is Chinese), Just for my first guitar.

Thanks for coming .
Sorry for my English at the same time
Old 08-15-2010, 01:13 PM

Is This style fingerboard designed for playing something, such as the fingerstyle?
Old 08-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Humanist

This is called a fan-fret design, or more accurately a multi-scale design. The two E strings are of a different, pre-calculated scale length, and so the nut, each fret, and the bridge/saddle arrangement are at an angle.

The bass side scale is always greater in length than the treble side...this gives greater tension to the bass side strings, which some builders & players feel is an advantage.

Many players will say that they do not notice the angles and different fret-spacing when they are playing...that is not true for me, however.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 08-15-2010, 01:47 PM

The scale length is based on the high E string or bass E string?
Old 08-15-2010, 01:50 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
This is called a fan-fret design, or more accurately a multi-scale design. The two E strings are of a different, pre-calculated scale length, and so the nut, each fret, and the bridge/saddle arrangement are at an angle.

The bass side scale is always greater in length than the treble side...this gives greater tension to the bass side strings, which some builders & players feel is an advantage.

Many players will say that they do not notice the angles and different fret-spacing when they are playing...that is not true for me, however.
Thanks man!
I think I have to go read some relevant information
Old 08-15-2010, 02:32 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samin.Lai View Post
The scale length is based on the high E string or bass E string?
Both.

A typical multi-scale design might have the low E scale at 25.5" (or longer) and the high E at 24.9" (or less).

You determine the scale of the two outer strings, and then the inner strings just follow the angles...sort of.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:13 AM
AGF Sponsor

Larry,
I know you are challenged with longer scale lengths but what has been your [personal] take on the MS fingerboards that you have played? Just curious, has it been helpful to your playing comfort?
Old 08-16-2010, 10:20 AM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Larry,
I know you are challenged with longer scale lengths but what has been your [personal] take on the MS fingerboards that you have played? Just curious, has it been helpful to your playing comfort?
Tim, if memory serves (and it *has* been a while), it seems to me that in DADGAD there are chord shapes and fingerings that actually require a greater stretch when one goes to a multi-scale guitar...or perhaps some of the stretches/shapes are just more awkward.

Perhaps it's only the *same* stretch as what the low E scale is, but it seemed to me that things were more-difficult (rather than less so, or unchanged) for what I am regularly doing in DADGAD...but that's just *my* experience, and shouldn't dissuade anyone from coming to their own conclusions on this!

Old 08-16-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samin.Lai View Post
guys,
I recently saw such a guitar from woolson`s website,Then I noticed the fingerboard is very special. I am very interested in such a fingerboard, but I don`t know how it was made and why it was that?

(The name of this style fingerboard ?)

I hope to know how this thing made and Fret Calculated.

This summer I start to relearn my English (my mother tongue is Chinese), Just for my first guitar.

Thanks for coming .
Sorry for my English at the same time
Hey, I recognize that guitar. :^)
Yes, Larry hit the nail on the head when he described the multi scale. (you might hear the term "fan fret" used to describe the same thing, but Ralph Novak had trademarked that term. So I call mine a multi scale)
The concept is pretty simple. When a longer string is brought up to the same pitch, it is under more tension. So what I've done here is take a typical 24" scale guitar and increased the scale of the low E to 25". Now the high strings still play with the ease of a 24" yet the tension is greater in the lower strings so they won't get "floppy".
I feel, and this thought has been agreed upon by numerous people at various shows, that a 1" difference in scale is truly unnoticeable. Now, Larry, as he pointed out, has different chord shapes in DADGAD so those stretches are different for him. But for someone playing in standard tuning, I think the multi scale would take 5 minutes at most to get used to.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWoolson View Post
Hey, I recognize that guitar. :^)
Yes, Larry hit the nail on the head when he described the multi scale. (you might hear the term "fan fret" used to describe the same thing, but Ralph Novak had trademarked that term. So I call mine a multi scale)
The concept is pretty simple. When a longer string is brought up to the same pitch, it is under more tension. So what I've done here is take a typical 24" scale guitar and increased the scale of the low E to 25". Now the high strings still play with the ease of a 24" yet the tension is greater in the lower strings so they won't get "floppy".
I feel, and this thought has been agreed upon by numerous people at various shows, that a 1" difference in scale is truly unnoticeable. Now, Larry, as he pointed out, has different chord shapes in DADGAD so those stretches are different for him. But for someone playing in standard tuning, I think the multi scale would take 5 minutes at most to get used to.
That a Fantasy one,you made a great Job,Paul .
And thanks Paul.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:42 PM

That truly is a sweet looking guitar... multi scale or not. Great stuff Paul.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop