The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-10-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
My "starting" price was $600, But you are 40 years too late to take advantage of it!
Mine was $800.00 but then I started two years later...
I actually had a model that was $1999.00 not all that long ago. $1995.00 was my base price for all models in the mid 90's, over the years as my base price grew I only added $1.00 to a no-frills dread each time the others went up. After 4 increases (about 2004) it was at $1999.00... I sold one guitar at that price...even though the same dreadnought (with a different name) had a list price of $5500.00 on the same price list. several customers asked what the difference was and when I said "the price" they would laugh and order the $5500.00 one.... Go figure.

The Voyage Air Premier series VAOM-2C with a cutaway sells for under $1995.00 and I honestly can't imagine anyone building a better guitar for that price... at least not since 2004
Old 07-21-2010, 09:49 PM

Red face

I'm new, learning, but willing to work. Check out my web page www.gnguitarcompany.com
I do have several very happy customers. But I'm booked with builds through Christmas.

j
Old 07-22-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
Is it just me, or is it true that at that price point, a nice, mass produced guitar might be a better bet? The economy of numbers might work in a buyer's favor here. True, it wouldn't be very "custom," but he/she could tweak it to suit. At least that's my impression.

When I am finally able to commission my dream fingerstyle instrument, I'll definitely be looking for value, but I'll probably want more time, expertise, and nicer materials than a $2,000 tag would allow.

If someone is able to handbuild a decent guitar at that price, I suspect it will be temporary, and that the price will rise before long.

cotten
That makes sense to me!
Old 08-15-2010, 02:33 PM

I've been working on specs for a guitar in this price range for some time. Here's what I've come up with.
Thread in AGF Marketplace
Information on my website

Why??? It's a kinda long story..........so here goes
On my custom builds I estimate my delivery time as double what it should take. That helps me deliver them on time, even if there's delays. In the "spare" time during my custom builds I've been doing repair work and re finishes on other guitars as well as some finish work for a couple other builders. This took all my time, and if I had a delay during a custom build it would get me behind on these other jobs. I'm no longer going to take in any work except Brackett Instruments guitars. I'm going to work on these "Economy" models in my spare time during custom builds instead of the repair work on other guitars. I won't accept deposits on them, but I will reserve a "spot" if requested. I'm not sure how many I'll build.(at least 2, 1 is ready for finishing, and I just started another) There's 3 options for the back and sides, with 2 top options. I won't discuss it further here because pricing would be part of the discussion. See my website of contact me for more info. My e-mail and phone number are on my website.

I don't like the name "Economy Model". When the first one (my 28th build FWIW) is complete I'm going to have a naming contest here on the AGF. The winner(US only) will get 3 sets of D'addario strings. Don't e-mail or PM me names yet. Wait until the "contest" starts. (I also want to make sure this "contest" isn't against AGF rules)
Old 08-15-2010, 05:17 PM

I love the way Paul and Kyle got things started. A week with Kevin, and then by offering a great way for the public to get a guitar and for them to keep gaining experience and establishing their practices.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpabolting View Post
Burnerguitars.com Nice guys to work with too.
wow they look pretty nice too, think i'll bookmark them for the future, they've only been going two years so i guess they may still be classed as inexperienced and so may be why they are charging low prices, but the materials they're using look top notch and the finished products looks sweet as!

"If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it Chuck Berry" - John Lennon

A fun thing to do at public restrooms is to wait until someone leaves, then click your stopwatch and write something down in a notebook
Old 08-16-2010, 01:03 AM

Check out my friend Sam Picotte - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Santa-...7867669?ref=ts

He's building me a GORGEOUS guitar in that range right now.

Picotte 12 Fret Dread - German Spruce/Claro Walnut
Taylor Custom GC6 - Sitka/Flamed Maple
Martin Custom 000-15sm All Genuine Mahogany
Cordoba C12 Limited - Euro Spruce/ Madi Rosewood
Old 08-16-2010, 06:44 AM

Mark Taylor at Crafters of Tennessee, I also am authorized to discount any build from him if ordered through my website, Thanks.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwong View Post
Any luthiers with starting build price <$2000? Just wondering whether they do exist or not in the first place...
wayne henderson, i read somewhere. no?
Old 08-17-2010, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

if you scour the trade shows and retailer websites you'll probably turn up some up and coming builders who are charging moderate prices to get their name out there. Brent Gilligan of ES Guitars comes to mind. There are also some sites listing builders by state, many of whom are little known....Robert
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 08-18-2010, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
if you scour the trade shows and retailer websites you'll probably turn up some up and coming builders who are charging moderate prices to get their name out there.
This is exactly the situation that I'm in. My prices start out at well under $2000, but includes only the very basics and without top grade woods. I have a website if you want to give it a look. www.EllisonSmithGuitars.com
Old 08-18-2010, 09:10 AM

Default 2k?

Though my base price is a little more than that, I do have one model I selected to offer to AGF members at that price. So far it has been a very good experience. In the marketplace for some time: Grand Concert

Gtrman13,
I was just checking out your site and work, great job, beautiful work.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvl View Post
The Voyage Air Premier series VAOM-2C with a cutaway sells for under $1995.00 and I honestly can't imagine anyone building a better guitar for that price... at least not since 2004
I've had a few of these go thru my hands, and they are marvelous!

*everything* is a tone control

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop