The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-17-2016, 04:10 PM

Default Your favorite sandpaper for guitar finishes

Hey all,

What are your favorite brand/makes and grits of sandpaper fod guitar finishing - especially finishing varnish.

I usually use the Norton coated stuff up to 320 from the local BORG.. Then move up to Ace hardware Gator brand 600 and 800 (because I had an Ace that sold it. Then I move up to the 3M automotive paper available at Autozone/Advance auto... I find the Norton stuff does not clog nearly as bad as the other stuff does. This is for my varnish finishes.... Then - I rub it out with 3m automotive rubbing compound.

What do you guys like? What products do you use that makes Varnish go much more smoothly?
Old 12-17-2016, 08:45 PM

I don't use varnish currently. For wet-sanding I use 3M, starting no coarser than 800 if need be, then 1000. It works better (and doesn't scratch) if you soak the paper, and change the water often. I then go to 3M flexible hook-and-loop 1500, with a hook-and-loop pad and block. I then finish with 3000 and 5000 3M Trizact. With all grits I use water with a tiny drop of dishwashing soap. Tis gives me a super-fine sheen which I prefer, but if a customer wants gloss, this rubs out easily. I also do not prefer coarse compounds, so after the 5000, I can use Imperial Hand Glaze or Ultrafine Machine Polish compound (with foam applicator).
Old 12-17-2016, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

I use (in fact just bought more) 3M Trizact foam backed 3000 and 5000 - love this stuff. You get it at the auto parts store

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 12-18-2016, 03:22 PM

Do you guys know of any fine Velcro backed papers for random orbital sander use that would be good for this duty. I currently don't go above 220 with the RO and don't use it for anything except wood.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

I have used these on a random orbit sander at low speed. I am however just a beginner.
https://mirka-online.com/abrasives-b...FYOUfgodkZEAiw

Gary
Old 12-18-2016, 08:58 PM

I use Hanko 800 then 1000 on an orbital sander. Then I switch to eagle 1500 and 2000 on a block before buffing with menzerna compounds.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryJ View Post
I have used these on a random orbit sander at low speed. I am however just a beginner.
https://mirka-online.com/abrasives-b...FYOUfgodkZEAiw

Gary
I was introduced to Abralon abrasives about 10-12 years or so ago when we used them to resurface bowling balls. They do cut well, though the sponge backing is a bit too soft for my tastes.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckjohn View Post
Do you guys know of any fine Velcro backed papers for random orbital sander use that would be good for this duty. I currently don't go above 220 with the RO and don't use it for anything except wood.
The automotive guys are way ahead on this and have an air-powered RO sander that can wet-sand as well. Although I prefer not to - the Trizact stuff actually cuts pretty fast despite the fine grit.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:39 PM
AGF Sponsor

I bought a dynabrade 3" RA sander a few years ago along with hundreds of dollars worth of 320 600 and 1000 Velcro paper. But after some practice I realized that my finishes are just too thin for the speed of the cut, or I simply do not have the skill and it would take a long time to acquire it, not to menetion the expense of the ruined finishes. It is far more important to me that the finish is consistent at around .003" to .005" than that I save a few hours of time, so I continue to hand sand my finishes.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:32 AM

That's a really good point about running right through a varnish finish. It's one thing with lacquer or a finish that burns in.... Ugh

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair