The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-21-2018, 09:07 AM

Default Looking to purchase my first guitar...

Did some Google'ing around and have no idea what I am doing...

I am not necessary looking for a "beginner" guitar, I don't mind spending a bit more. Looking to spend $1,000 used.

The problem is beginner guitars are recommended everywhere, but at my price point they assume I know what I'm doing...which I don't. I don't know any thing about size, nut width, neck profile etc.

I sing country and want to learn guitar to go along side.

Looked up some country musicians and guitars they use and those are well over $3,000...so that didn't help.

Also starting medical school in the fall, hopefully it's something I stick to but if I don't, I don't want it to sit for weeks if I need to sell i.e. I want to stick to the popular brands.

Martin D-16GT is something I looked at, under $1k used, has great reviews...not sure if this is for me though.

Saw a youtube video of a taylor 614ce and it was the most amazing thing I've heard...but that seems like $2k+ and not a common model (at least compared to the martin d16).

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.
I don't want to dig too deep on the perfect guitar...I'll just end up spending days researching and probably be even more confused lol. Just want to buy and start learning
Old 02-21-2018, 09:21 AM

Welcome aboard. With your parameters I would find a good deal on a used Gibson J-15 and play it for 50 years. It is a great value on a truly professional guitar. There’s nothing beginner about it.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:21 AM

Welcome!
That D16GT would make a fine guitar for you to start on.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
Welcome!
That D16GT would make a fine guitar for you to start on.
+1 couldn't agree more
Old 02-21-2018, 09:33 AM

If I were helping a friend or family member purchase their first guitar, I’d point them to the Yamaha FG800. It is shockingly good for a $200 guitar, and you’ve got $800 to put towards a more expensive guitar once you’ve got a better feel for what you like.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:34 AM

My son just finished up med school and a fellowship, so I know for the next several years, your time and money are going to be at a premium.

My suggestion - you can get a very serviceable guitar for around $300. It will be something you will feel comfortable about leaving out of the case so you can frequently pick it up for 5 or 10 minutes during a study break.

By the time you are ready to graduate Med school, you'll have a good idea of what you want in guitar, you can buy yourself a nice graduation present.

Good luck, and have fun,

p.s. In the worst case, and you decide it's not for you. It's much easier and faster to sell a $200 guitar on a college campus than it is to sell a $1000 instrument. You'll be be out maybe $50 from your initial investment.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
If I were helping a friend or family member purchase their first guitar, I’d point them to the Yamaha FG800. It is shockingly good for a $200 guitar, and you’ve got $800 to put towards a more expensive guitar once you’ve got a better feel for what you like.
This is totally solid advice... However, because you've got a bigger budget:

Maybe consider the Yamaha L series. Still easily within your budget, but they have the 1-3/4" nut width and are just a nicer guitar than the FG while retaining the huge awesomeness/dollar ratio.

Another thought: Carbon Fibre

A CF guitar will cost more to begin with, but they sound beautiful and are hassle free. They generally sell pretty quick too. However, this will stretch your budget to the max, and perhaps beyond a bit...
Old 02-21-2018, 09:49 AM

If you don’t mind spending the money, I think you’ll be much happier with the D-16 than any of the so-called “beginner” guitars that get bandied about here. You might want to consider an 000-16 too — it’s a little smaller and many would consider it more comfortable to play. Or a 15 series Martin (D-15, 000-15, etc.).
Old 02-21-2018, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Was it the tone of the Martin or the feel (neck, nut width, etc.) that you didn't like? Martin and Gibson are the two staples of the country music scene. You'll find a few Taylors mixed in there, but it's overwhelmingly Martin and Gibson. If you are looking into performing, you'll want something with electronics. If you like the Taylor sound, you can find used 300 or 200 series Taylors that fit your price point.
2017 Eastman E10 OM
Old 02-21-2018, 10:00 AM

Martin Custom D is another viable option (if you don't mind dealing with ordering on line). Great no-frills, all solid wood Martin Dread for a very reasonable cost.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:14 AM

Good advise here from all. My 2 cents:
  • D-15 (mahogany) - used
  • D-16 - used
  • Custom D (from Guitar Center) - new
  • or any of the above varieties in an OOO size if you prefer

All of these should be under $1,000 and if you buy used you can sell later for about the same price.

Check this guy out on YouTube, he uses the D-16 and 15 so you can get a sense of how they sound and how versatile they are, and has great lessons which might be right up your alley.

https://www.youtube.com/user/countryguitarteacher

And....best of luck with Med School.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:59 AM

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...d-d-20-natural

A bit over budget but I’m drooling at the all solid hog dread look.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:02 AM

+1 on the Yamaha FG800. Great guitar and you can get one with a hard case for about $270. Save your money for a nicer guitar once you know what you like and have played for a bit. The FG800 will be easy to sell if you decide to do so, but many on here have kept our FG Yamahas even as our skills improved. It is a great guitar.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 02-21-2018, 11:55 AM

Default I bought

...a Taylor 314ce used for a grand and it has been an outstanding guitar.

And I recommend starting on a guitar of some quality. It's very frustrating when you are getting it down, being able to make chords and rhythms and despite all your efforts, you sound bad because you're playing on a bad guitar.
2015 Martin GPCPA5
2016 Taylor 214ce-Nylon
2015 Ventura VWDONAT
Old 02-21-2018, 11:59 AM

I believe the most important thing for a first guitar is playability. There are lots of variables to consider: body size, nut width, string spacing, neck profile, setup. The difficulty is that if you don't yet know how to play, you can't very effectively evaluate those things. If at all possible, get a friend who plays to help you try out a variety of guitars. Go inexpensive to begin with, then upgrade once you can better assess what you want. Just my $.02.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion