The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-22-2018, 03:06 AM

The courier has accepted their fault, and the buyer was refunded fully. I was not affected at all financially. Good news for me and for the buyer.

My point in this thread was, guitar packed in cardboard box should not be automatically and blindly looked as under packed for courier transit, and when damage happens during transit, seller should not be accused for poor packing, and forced to be responsible blindly.

I feel that it is time that this unfair system and culture should be rectified. When things go wrong, all parties should be looked at for the cause and possible liabilities by independent inspection bodies, before asked to be responsible for the damage and compensation.

Last edited by Theleman; 02-22-2018 at 05:25 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:00 AM

I feel, when it could be any party who are responsible for the damage = the seller, the courier and the buyer, it is just plain unfair and stupid to blame the seller for the damage and demand compensation.

There are number of possibilities when damage incurs in delivered parcel such as, the seller's under packing, mishandling of the parcel by the courier and also possibility of untrue reports of the damage by the buyer such as, if the buyer has luthier friend who could repair the damage for a few dollars, and then he could willfully damage the guitar and report as damaged on arrival. I mean there are all sort of variables and possibilities in the case.

In the case, where it was clearly proven as under packing of the parcel by the seller, yes, it is fair for the seller to be responsible and compensation. But if it is proven rough / mishandling of the parcel by the courier or clear evidence of false damage report by the buyer, then it is plain unfair and wrong to blame the seller and demand compensation.

And in the case where guitar was not posted in HSC, you cannot expect seller to supply 100 dollar HSC, when the guitar was sold for 150 dollars. It is just plain unfair again to ask, expect or demand such things, when buyer have not paid for the HSC to be included in the sale and shipped in it.

The guitar was clearly advertised without HSC, and the buyer should have known that it will be shipped in cardboard box, and should not accuse the seller posting the guitar in cardboard box, which is standard shipping packaging for most guitars sold without HSC.

I feel that it is absurd to accuse seller demanding compensation pointing out the guitar was not shipped in HSC, when they have not even paid for it, and when the fault might be the other parties.

Just a personal reflection after a bit of upsetting transaction, but glad that it has been sorted in fair way.

I hope you will not fall into the trap, and hope there will be change for better system and also perception of the buyers.

Last edited by Theleman; 02-22-2018 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theleman View Post
The courier has accepted their fault, and the buyer was refunded fully. I was not affected at all financially.
I happily stand corrected. Very unusual result, from what I've heard from others.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:29 PM

So, say you have no moral compass and you break an expensive guitar. Couldn’t you try and “sell” it to a friend just as a way to try to say it was the courier who broke it?

I happen to sleep at night so I could never do this. It was simply my first thought. I think everything in this instance played out as it should. It judst got me to thinking.

Gretsch 6228FM
Fender Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 02-22-2018, 08:29 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theleman View Post
I have bought a few new guitars from retailers, none of them have arrived in hardcase.

All of them have arrived in cardboard box, and they were fine.

I know someone who walked away from a rollover accident in a car, but I still wouldn't recommend trying it!
Old 02-22-2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
I know someone who walked away from a rollover accident in a car, but I still wouldn't recommend trying it!
What he said. Buying from a vendor who will handle any damage claims and send a replacement? Sure, go head. But I'll be dag nabbed before I ship a guitar that I am financially responsible for in a soft case and cardboard box, and trusting the courier to pay out when the inevitable damage happens.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:19 PM

There is the way the world ought to be, and there is the way it actually is. Sure, the carriers shouldn't play kickball with your package, but we all know they do and you have no control over whether it's your package that gets the bad treatment or not. Therefore, take appropriate precautions or take the risk and suffer the consequences when you lose your bet.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion