The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-11-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
I am not trying to be a Debbie downer here. I have tried Red Bear picks made out of Casein and I own real TS picks and I use Blue Chip. To my ear the BlueChip replecates the TS real close while the Casein picks seems to lack any treble what so ever. As if someone attached a low pass filter set at 3khz. With that, I do realize that there is a wonderful warm sound and wonderful volume and all but my ears miss the high end. Is it just a matter of taste? What am I missing here?
If your comparison is Red Bear, they use a very conservative bevel. My first casein picks were John Pearse Fast Turtles that I thought were low volume and very dull in the trebles. Once I learned to put a full edge chisel type bevel on them, they transformed into loud, articulate and bright with very high volume in all registers. So, different materials in different thicknesses require different beveling to get best results.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
If your comparison is Red Bear, they use a very conservative bevel. My first casein picks were John Pearse Fast Turtles that I thought were low volume and very dull in the trebles. Once I learned to put a full edge chisel type bevel on them, they transformed into loud, articulate and bright with very high volume in all registers. So, different materials in different thicknesses require different beveling to get best results.
HHP, if you get a chance, I'm sending you a PM with some interesting info for you.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:04 AM

I'm extremely late at responding to this thread, but thank you so much for the glowing review. I really, really appreciate all the time and thought that went into your detailed write-up and the thoughts therein that you shared with everyone here in the community. Above all, it's fantastic to hear you're enjoying the picks! It makes it worth the time and effort to make them
Old 02-16-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarybarry View Post
Eric bought a petite bouche gypsy jazz guitar from me a couple of years ago and included a few picks with his payment. One resin and another of clear acrylic. I favor the resin he sent me and was pleasantly surprised at the comfort of the pick in my fingers as well as the speed with which I could pick due to the bevel.
I generally use much thinner picks now, but I still pull out my EML from time to time.
Nice picks.

Barry
Hey Barry, it's been a while. The guitar is still doing great! I'll send you a message
Old 02-16-2018, 10:14 AM

Ok, I have been pretty much in the 3 for a dollar camp as far as picks are concerned. You guys do have me curious though. I do have some decent guitars and buy decent strings. So you can really tell the difference between a 50 cent pick and a $30 one? Could you tell if you were in the audience? Until I started reading these threads I didn't even realize that you could spend that much for a pick. I was sitting in the local (now defunct) guitar store with a friend and he was filing on his pick. I asked him what in the heck it was doing. He said that it was a blue chip (I think). I guess I looked at him like he was nuts and never asked how much it was (he is a Collings artist and listed on their website so he is a player).
Old 02-16-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mc View Post
Ok, I have been pretty much in the 3 for a dollar camp as far as picks are concerned. You guys do have me curious though. I do have some decent guitars and buy decent strings. So you can really tell the difference between a 50 cent pick and a $30 one? Could you tell if you were in the audience? Until I started reading these threads I didn't even realize that you could spend that much for a pick. I was sitting in the local (now defunct) guitar store with a friend and he was filing on his pick. I asked him what in the heck it was doing. He said that it was a blue chip (I think). I guess I looked at him like he was nuts and never asked how much it was (he is a Collings artist and listed on their website so he is a player).
In short, yes you can. As far as audience is concerned, if they are very into guitar tone they will probably notice.

The real difference is to the player in terms of being in control of your tone, dynamics, and speed. Depending on how you play, some premium pick configurations will be better than others.

I'm sort of a zealot, but it is my belief that you really haven't heard your guitar till you play it with a 2.5mm or above properly configured pick. I play with people who have the same or similar guitars to mine and they often ask me why mine sounds different. When I tell them its the pick they don't believe me till I let them try one.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricLopez View Post
I'm extremely late at responding to this thread, but thank you so much for the glowing review. I really, really appreciate all the time and thought that went into your detailed write-up and the thoughts therein that you shared with everyone here in the community. Above all, it's fantastic to hear you're enjoying the picks! It makes it worth the time and effort to make them
You can thank HHP for introducing your pick to me and that resulted in a sale of a Large Triangle (Casein) and a Large Triangle (PEEK) . They should arrive in a few days.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
You can thank HHP for introducing your pick to me and that resulted in a sale of a Large Triangle (Casein) and a Large Triangle (PEEK) . They should arrive in a few days.
Be sure to get a post up with your impressions once you've had a chance to work with them. I'm very curious about the PEEK model and how it differs from the Casein.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
To my ear the BlueChip replecates the TS real close while the Casein picks seems to lack any treble what so ever. As if someone attached a low pass filter set at 3khz.....What am I missing here?
I think this has much more to do with the beveling than the material. IMO, Blue Chip bevels their picks correctly (meaning to match the naturally occurring wear pattern you'd see on a softer or less wear resistant pick.) The Red Bear Picks I've played have either very rounded edges with no bevel and a super warm sound or very angular bevels with sharp edges and a scratchy sound quality. I have no doubt that a RB would sound great if beveled well.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jljohn View Post
I think this has much more to do with the beveling than the material. IMO, Blue Chip bevels their picks correctly (meaning to match the naturally occurring wear pattern you'd see on a softer or less wear resistant pick.) The Red Bear Picks I've played have either very rounded edges with no bevel and a super warm sound or very angular bevels with sharp edges and a scratchy sound quality. I have no doubt that a RB would sound great if beveled well.
I think this is true. When I compare a casein pick of 2.5mm up to 4mm, with a full edge chisel bevel, to a stock Blue Chip, the casein is louder in all registers but the biggest gain is in the trebles.

The EML's come with that style of bevel, much more pronounced than Red Bear or Blue Chip's configuration.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Just ordered one... small triangle 1.5mm. Can't wait!!
Old 02-19-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
Just ordered one... small triangle 1.5mm. Can't wait!!
Be sure to post your impressions once you've used it. I got large triangles but was torn between those and the smaller versions.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:11 PM

Got a casein small triangle, 1.5. Beautifully crafted, lovely pick, quite clear sounding. For me, since I mostly play hybrid style and need to balance the picks tone with my fingers, almost too bright. Just ordered the "mandolin" style casein, 1.5, hope this'll work a bit better (for me). I use a Blue Chip SR 60, rounded triangle, which does blend pretty well with my finger/nails.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

Congrats, Eric. It's been great watching your business grow and flourish here on AGF the last few years. It's also been fun getting to know you better recently.

Godspeed to EML Picks and keep doing what you're doing.

all the best,
scott memmer
Old 02-21-2018, 07:58 AM

HHP, now do these very thick picks work for regular strumming? I seem to struggle with anything thicker than 1 mm, but I very possibly have poor technique!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion