The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-13-2018, 11:27 AM

Default The Water is Wide technique tips?

I’ve wanted to learn Ed Gerhard’s beautiful interpretation of The Water is Wide for some time but, with one thing and another, never got round to it. Anyway, I’ve decided to give it a go, have all the music/tab and the track loaded into Anytune on my iPad and am all set...

The first thing I’ve noticed is that this is one of those deceptively difficult tunes to play with anything even remotely close to the feeling Ed Gerard does and that it’s going to take some backtracking etc., which is fine as I love a challenge.

This video is really brilliant and helpful:

https://youtu.be/eYxdTh25bEg

...but there’s still one or two techniques I’m going to need to brush up on, for example the ‘ritardo’ he places throughout the tune.

It seems that those with a classical background (like EG himself) would already have these techniques in their vocabulary but this is not my background, or even how I have played previously, so any tips greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Martie; 01-13-2018 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:21 PM

I can't really help you but wanted to just jump in since no one else has yet.
For whatever it's worth, I'm working on the same tune that I found at
sixstringcountry.com. If you click on their site from the youtube screen, it's there as a demo where you can slow it down. I've watched/listened through the first verse and may get the 30 day free trial to finish it up. It's a little different than what you have but not a whole lot.
It's a great piece and sounds like it was made to be played on a guitar.
Anyway - just wanted to say good luck. I'm sure one of the music theory guys will weigh in at some point.

Dan
Old 01-13-2018, 04:34 PM

Ive been working on this tune since mid November and have been inspired by two different versions of it (apart from Ed’s) - both of which I have found very helpful in playing it.

https://youtu.be/Q7ozdv0Pch0

https://youtu.be/Q-fpX4MzjtU

I agree with you - it’s a lot tougher to get right than it first appears - I have had it learnt for over a month, but the dynamics and feel are still coming and I am improving still.

I found that focusing on the melody, as Ed says in this video, is absolutely key.

It’s a great tune - I love it, good luck with it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 01-13-2018, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

That sounds really nice. I would suggest you just get the whole song under your fingers and memorized so that you can play it at will. Then you can work on the enhancements.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-13-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
That sounds really nice. I would suggest you just get the whole song under your fingers and memorized so that you can play it at will. Then you can work on the enhancements.
Agreed, I've just been going over it daily to slowly memorise the basic structure and will sort the dynamics etc. later. Thanks [emoji4]
Old 01-13-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
Ive been working on this tune since mid November and have been inspired by two different versions of it (apart from Ed’s) - both of which I have found very helpful in playing it.

https://youtu.be/Q7ozdv0Pch0

https://youtu.be/Q-fpX4MzjtU

I agree with you - it’s a lot tougher to get right than it first appears - I have had it learnt for over a month, but the dynamics and feel are still coming and I am improving still.

I found that focusing on the melody, as Ed says in this video, is absolutely key.

It’s a great tune - I love it, good luck with it.
Thanks, I'm dashing about now but will check the videos out later. [emoji4]
Old 01-13-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martie View Post
Thanks, I'm dashing about now but will check the videos out later. [emoji4]

I’ll be very interested in hearing which version you prefer...

Old 01-13-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF dad View Post
I can't really help you but wanted to just jump in since no one else has yet.
For whatever it's worth, I'm working on the same tune that I found at
sixstringcountry.com. If you click on their site from the youtube screen, it's there as a demo where you can slow it down. I've watched/listened through the first verse and may get the 30 day free trial to finish it up. It's a little different than what you have but not a whole lot.
It's a great piece and sounds like it was made to be played on a guitar.
Anyway - just wanted to say good luck. I'm sure one of the music theory guys will weigh in at some point.

Dan
Cheers Dan, I have a few transcriptions but the one I've found most useful is on Musicnotes as, from what I can gather, it's from Ed's own transcription. I'll keep chipping away at it. Thanks again[emoji4]
Old 01-13-2018, 05:46 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Interestingly enough, I found learning that lovely little rolling into to be the most important and challenging part to me. I'm a natural melody player so the rest of it comes pretty um... naturally... to me. I'll admit that after learning the melodic parts I wanted to make the tune my own so I made some changes to personalize it.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-13-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Interestingly enough, I found learning that lovely little rolling into to be the most important and challenging part to me. I'm a natural melody player so the rest of it comes pretty um... naturally... to me. I'll admit that after learning the melodic parts I wanted to make the tune my own so I made some changes to personalize it.

Bob
Yes, it's those little rolling (it says ritard on one transcription I have) bits that really stand out, and are tricky to nail consistently. And yes, I'd like to learn the song as best I can and then start personalising it somewhat, although I'm a long way off that at the moment! [emoji4]
Old 01-13-2018, 06:18 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Yes, it's those little rolling (it says ritard on one transcription I have) bits that really stand out, and are tricky to nail consistently. And yes, I'd like to learn the song as best I can and then start personalising it somewhat, although I'm a long way off that at the moment! [emoji4]
"Ritard" is the adverbial version of the Italian musical term "ritadando" which indicates a gentle slowing down of the tempo. You can hear that occur at the end of each statement of this nice little rolling motif as he returns to repeat it or goes into the melody.

Bob

Old 01-13-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
"Ritard" is the adverbial version of the Italian musical term "ritadando" which indicates a gentle slowing down of the tempo. You can hear that occur at the end of each statement of this nice little rolling motif as he returns to repeat it or goes into the melody.

Bob
Ok thanks, I can hear how the tune gently slows down now and then, so is that what ritadando is? I'd assumed it was those little rolls he does where the right hand fingers play in quick succession?
Old 01-13-2018, 06:41 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Ok thanks, I can hear how the tune gently slows down now and then, so is that what ritadando is?
That's it!

Bob

Old 01-13-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
That's it!

Bob
Ok thanks [emoji4]
Old 01-14-2018, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Ok thanks, I can hear how the tune gently slows down now and then, so is that what ritadando is? I'd assumed it was those little rolls he does where the right hand fingers play in quick succession?

Those rolls or trills he uses are very tricky indeed as you say - and there are a lot of them!

I have got better at them (having not been able to do them at all) but am still a little inconsistent with the balance of strings and the volume of them..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write