The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-15-2017, 08:08 AM

If you still like music, make that your security blanket. You clearly like music, it is the emotional and historical baggage associated with it that is frustrating. Whether you are the best, worst or average player, it does not matter.Make music with what you like. All else will work out. If you are done with music, move on.

Recovery is forever...keep on keeping on. All the best to you.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Thank you to everybody for the encouragement and thoughtful responses, it means a lot to me. FWIW I am going through therapy (finally) for my PTSD, and since I started last December I've lost some 64 lbs. I am at that point where my therapist and I are working on negative and positive attachments.

I once really did enjoy playing the electric guitar, and as many of you indicated maybe I will again someday. It seems pretty universal that everybody who tried to just drop the electric ended up going back again in some form. I'd hate to have to find another excellent guitar and build another amp (in truth I never want to build an amp again).

So maybe I'll just put everything in the back of the closet and see how I feel in another year. I really want to purchase a high-end rodriguez classical (like a francisco navarro special grand concert brazilian) but there is no emergency... it is probably prudent to do the separation test for a year first and see how it works.

Thanks again, and best wishes to all you!
2015 Martin HD28E Retro
2015 Gretsch 6128 Power Jet
2003 Amalio Burguet F1 concert flamenco
2010 Langejans R-cb classical
2019 Gibson 1958 true historic
2012 PRS Stripped '58 with 5708 pickups
1992 PRS CE24 (all original)
Many including Gretsch, Tokai, Yamaha, and Fender.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:34 AM

I sold my 24 channel board, PA mains, a couple thousand watts of power amps, and three 4x12 cabinets about 8 years ago. I'm done with rock bands; I enjoy the acoustic much more. I did hold onto the electric guitars and a 60 watt amp. I didn't play any of that stuff for a few years, but now I use that stuff sometimes.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars