The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-16-2018, 09:43 AM

Default Writing

I just noticed this section was now called Play and Write. I thought I'd share a recent experience in songwriting. I go to a jam every Friday night with a bunch of old cowboys. Ancient country is the usual repertoire. At a jam 2 weeks ago, halfway through it I took a notebook and pen out of my case and said "let's write an original to include from now on with all these old covers we keep doing". I had some thoughts on the drive to the jam I hurriedly scribbled out and read to them. Only one guy started to participate. After it was obvious the rest wanted to get back to their old songs I put the notebook away.

The one guy who participated asked me at the end if I would copy what I started so he could take it home and see what he could add. I tore out the page and gave it to him. He brought it back at the last jam and tried to play and sing it. I immediately heard a few contrivances in the lyrics that didn't work, but overall I was impressed with the direction he took it. The story wasn't resolved in the song though. I took it and did a final rewrite. I also boiled his complicated chord progression down to a 2 chord song. You can't have enough of those at jams.

I called the 83 year old Texas music legend who hosts the jam and sang the song for him over the phone. His first reaction was "we have to record that!". I've written a number of songs, one of which a friend of over 40 years who is a respected Nashville songwriter is currently showing to friends. This was my first experience collaborating with somebody on a song. The ideas he threw in took the song in a direction I wouldn't have thought of and it worked very nicely. I'm going to work with him again on a couple more I have underway now. I guess it helps immensely to have another's input as I have just learned.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:49 AM

��cool story...who knows might be a hit!
Old 01-16-2018, 01:02 PM

Great story! Collaboration can indeed be very rewarding and inspiring.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:17 AM

My successful songwriter friend in Nashville told me an interesting story. He said in Nashville every song is considered a co written song. I didn't understand that. He said publishing houses throw writers together in a room everyday who mostly never met each other before. They're expected to have a song written by the end of the day. He's had a few good ones come out of that. Mostly though he got burned out on the concept. He's been recorded by Garth Brooks, Charlie Pride, Dianna Ross and John Denver, among many others. I'm excited for the high praise he gave one song in particular I sent him a raw recording of. Out of 3 songs I've sent him he told me the vibe he got from them was Jennings/Cash. It can't get much better than that. He's best friends with Pete Wasner who wrote all of Vince Gill's best known songs. Nice to know the caliber of people he will share my stuff with!
Old 01-18-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKell View Post
My successful songwriter friend in Nashville told me an interesting story. He said in Nashville every song is considered a co written song. I didn't understand that. He said publishing houses throw writers together in a room everyday who mostly never met each other before. They're expected to have a song written by the end of the day. He's had a few good ones come out of that. Mostly though he got burned out on the concept. He's been recorded by Garth Brooks, Charlie Pride, Dianna Ross and John Denver, among many others. I'm excited for the high praise he gave one song in particular I sent him a raw recording of. Out of 3 songs I've sent him he told me the vibe he got from them was Jennings/Cash. It can't get much better than that. He's best friends with Pete Wasner who wrote all of Vince Gill's best known songs. Nice to know the caliber of people he will share my stuff with!
Dave, your story just keeps getting better. Keep writing, and best of luck to you in this adventure.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

I have written for publishers in Nashville. I didn't stick with it as it was boring. I did learn to "really" write songs though. I never have written with another person. I would be concerned with the ego thing. Theirs as well as mine. I have pushed lyrics back and forth with a friend while having drinks for awhile. At one time he had a recording contract and worked with some big music companies. He still has them. It's one thing to write a good song, it's a craft, but after awhile it boils down to very few that mean anything to the writer.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-24-2018, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Thanks for posting. Very cool to hear about your experience.
I remember watching a Janis Ian video on Youtube from one of her house concerts and she described one of her first co-writing experiences when she moved to Nashville years ago. It is how she met Jon Vezner and they wrote This Old Town that day.

Best,
Jayne
Old 01-24-2018, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Good idea, Guy Clark often used to work with someone else to write songs, especially younger talents like Shaun Camp.
He was always very supportive of young talents and would arrange introductions as well.

Bless him,

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write