The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-18-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkham13 View Post
The sun lion is a dual pedal with a range master style boost I think it's called on the left, sort of a clean boost that can be tweaked to boost treble or bass, and a great germanium fuzz on the right that works well with the boost, or alone, or with other pedals. The fuzz is the heart of the pedal and can be purchased alone in the form of a sunface. The sun lion was an old pedal by the company that has been reinvigorated lately. The fuzz can be purchased with different types of germanium or silicon transistors, mine is a germanium red 275 known to be very clean and low gain, great for single coils, plenty of fuzz available but does not alter your clean tones or take away any highs, or cut lows. My setup, and I am a beginner, is all about clean strat tones through a clean fender amp, and any pedal that muddies the waters is not going to be invited to the party. The other pedals I mentioned are a fuzz and a compressor, and bearfoot f x is worth googling or checking on the gear page. The sunlion is still my favorite pedal.
Thanks for the info Kirkham. Sounds like you found the perfect fit for your Strat.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:13 AM

MI Audio Blue Boy Deluxe
Old 05-27-2013, 08:27 PM

A Keeley-modded Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer. I frequently play at open mics, jams, etc., and I've been very pleased with the crunch sound I get regardless of amp. Will probably get my Boss DS-1 modded sometime.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_M View Post
A Keeley-modded Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer. I frequently play at open mics, jams, etc., and I've been very pleased with the crunch sound I get regardless of amp. Will probably get my Boss DS-1 modded sometime.
I've heard about the Keeley mods ... what's the mod for the TS-9, not from an electronics point but from a tone point?
Old 05-30-2013, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I've heard about the Keeley mods ... what's the mod for the TS-9, not from an electronics point but from a tone point?
Hi, sorry for the late reply. I think Keeley has a couple variations on the TS-9 mods they do, but mine was just the standard mod. It alters the gain level range, so when the Drive knob is at zero, it's a lot cleaner than stock, and when on 10 there's a bit more dirt than stock.

Another big thing I noticed was that with the stock TS-9, some bass response was lost when I'd turn it on. But the Keeley mod restored the low end.

I think the blue LED really helps the tone too
Old 05-30-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_M View Post
Hi, sorry for the late reply. I think Keeley has a couple variations on the TS-9 mods they do, but mine was just the standard mod. It alters the gain level range, so when the Drive knob is at zero, it's a lot cleaner than stock, and when on 10 there's a bit more dirt than stock.

Another big thing I noticed was that with the stock TS-9, some bass response was lost when I'd turn it on. But the Keeley mod restored the low end.

I think the blue LED really helps the tone too
I got ya, so it can be used like a clean boost.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:53 PM

Just picked up an MXR Prime Distortion at GC. Sounds great. $49? Don't mind if I do!!!
Old 05-30-2013, 07:19 PM

I play in a rock/metal band where I use a Ravish Sitar pedal, which is a pedal that makes your guitar sound like a sitar. It's a pretty cool and fun pedal. You can listen to soundclips of my band using that pedal here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1_JiVpm_-I
http://stevehung.bandcamp.com
Old 05-31-2013, 09:50 AM

King of Tone and El Capistan.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:48 AM

Mine is Fulltone OCD. I also get a lot of its clones. Such as JOYO Ultimate Drive, Eno DSO-2, ect. They sound similar but good enough for the buck. Of course, Fulltone OCD is better.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:40 AM

Most important pedal for me is a simple clean boost (ART Tube MP). This is really important to get the most out of my Tweed Champ clone. There's a lot more gain to be had with a hotter signal.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:13 AM

I really like my MJM Phantom OD even though I don't use it a bunch. Fattens up the Strat and when flipped to the right I can really get down (ZZ Top type stuff).

I do use the Fairfield Barbershop a lot though. Just brings a little extra to my Strat and Princeton Reverb and I can play along the edge of breakup without having to put the amp on 6 or without changing the basic tone.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Most important pedal for me is a simple clean boost (ART Tube MP). This is really important to get the most out of my Tweed Champ clone. There's a lot more gain to be had with a hotter signal.
I've never used the ART. You're using the preamp as a clean boost? Is this what you have?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...trument-preamp
Old 08-22-2013, 04:10 PM

One of these:

Input impedance is 840k and it works quite well for clean gain if you have a tube amp which needs a bit of a push. It might start to clip with anything stronger than a <8k PAF though.

Last edited by moon; 08-22-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:31 PM

Boss BD-2 considering it's the only pedal I have aside from my Polytune.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars