The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-10-2014, 07:23 PM

Default 12 String Help!

I acquired and old harmony sovereign 12 string recently. since it was extremely cheap, I intend to do my own repair work on it to learn a few things.

A few things that the guitar needs. A neck reset, you can see the separation at the joint, and you can wiggle the neck a little bit in the socket. I've already bought some fret nippers and an espresso machine with some rubber tubing and needle to steam the neck out of the joint. somebody mentioned to me about doing a hippie neck reset, where you put a strap button on the hill and use a somewhat large screw and bolt the neck back into the block. maybe if my neck reset doesn't go right, I will do this.

There is some belly bulge at the bridge, and I'm either thinking of using a Thompson Belly Reducer or using a JLD Bridge Doctor, don't know which one I should use. The braces are all nice and solid inside the body.

The above two things I think I can handle. After all, this is an experiment. The one thing I don't know about, is it seems that where the fretboard extends over the body, the top looks sunken in compared to the rest of the top. Not much, but it does affect the action.

Any suggestions? More specifically on the belly bulge and the sunken in soundboard top underneath the fretboard.

any help that you guys can give a rookie is appreciated. Between this acoustic and the arch top I just bought, I think I have my hands full for a while
Old 12-11-2014, 07:19 AM

The belly bulge is due to the extra tension from the extra strings and is quite common on most 12 strings. Unless the bridge is rotated to the point of compromising function I would personally leave it as is and set the neck accordingly since it needs a reset anyway.

The top being sunken in along the FB extension is common as well and usually worse on 12 strings. This is where all acoustic guitars fold over time under string pressure. This is the main reason older guitars need neck resets, not because the neck joint moves but because the top distorts and caves in under all the string tension. The two approaches are to either glue it back down tight and accept the body joint hump and poor action above the 14th or to shim it so it is on the proper plane.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:21 AM

Never heard of the hippie neck reset before lol. Is that the same as the hippie joint?

Anyway no need for that especially if the neck is already loose and wiggling, that will most likely come off easily. I would recommend shimming the extension. Even though you may never play a 12-string that far up it's the right thing to do imho.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair