The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-08-2012, 09:50 AM

Default Dreaded Guitar Envy

This last weekend, my wife and I did a little fall color drive through a couple of the state forests, starting not too far from where we live. Late in the day, we came across a small church in our denomination and decided to stop in for their Saturday evening gathering. There was just a single musician there, playing a McIlroy guitar. It looked like a small-ish jumbo, probably in walnut. The tunes were mostly ones we do at home. He interpreted them a little differently than we do (which I liked and appreciated) but his guitar playing style was reasonably similar to mine.

His guitar sounded great, with a warm but clear and balanced tone. Its shape and tone reminded me of an old Larrivee L that I wish I never sold. Having a high-end hand-built guitar made him seem like a more serious player . . . at least to me . . . but I may have been the only one in the church who had any idea what kind of guitar he was playing. Last night I went off to my own choir rehearsal with my 35 year-old Yairi. It plays easy and it sounds absolutely fantastic to me, but playing a pretty beat-up (some might kindly say "vintage") instrument now has me feeling sort of second class. I’m sure it will pass, but why do pickers like me get that stupid guitar envy?

Last edited by Big.Al; 10-08-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:57 AM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And there are a lot of beautiful guitars out there ,so it's easy to get guitar envy. It's a conspiricy I tell ya....
Old 10-08-2012, 10:34 AM

As we all know, it easily extends past guitars. Basic human nature...most of us want what we don't have and we aren't satisfied for long once we get it. Just try to keep in mind that there's always something better out there and try to make best with what you have if needed. If only I'd listen to my own advice!
Old 10-08-2012, 10:47 AM

Envy? Nah. Lust? Yep!

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor (by Harv L), Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:57 AM

Sounds like you wandered into a parallel universe there. Next week we will probably be reading a post from that guitarist after visiting your church stating that he saw you playing a vintage guitar that sounded absolutely fabulous and was so easy to play (what more could you ask for!). Oh, it had plenty of mojo as it had been played in for 35 years! What was that about coveting lol. I seriously believe that wanting and having are two different things. Just think of the memories you have of playing your guitar. All the best.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Hi Al,

If this guitar player with the McIlroy was able to make wonderful sounds that appealed to you on music you knew well, then I understand your reaction. I don't think it's envy; it's the drive many of us have to do better. Many times we can't help wondering if we are being limited by the tools we use. And I think there is a tendency to wonder if we can buy our way into being better players.

Nothing wrong with playing a well worn, 35-year-old guitar, though. My old Martin D-35, built in 1967, is pretty road worn, lots of dings and worn off lacquer, but it fits like a good pair of old shoes. I used that guitar and my old 1972 Guild F212 12-string in church for almost 20 years and nobody ever once wondered why I was playing those old guitars. They did notice the music, though.

- Glenn
Old 10-08-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remy26 View Post
...most of us want what we don't have and we aren't satisfied for long once we get it.
Truer words were never spoken.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
why do pickers like me get that stupid guitar envy?
Because, all things considered; you'd like a nicer guitar. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:32 AM

Sounds like you've been bitten by the Irish guitar bug.

Happened to me a while back. Ended up with a Lowden that I wasn't sure suited me. After a few years of me and the guitar sniffing each other out, I've decided it's an amazing instrument that coaxes me outside my comfort zone.

Don't fight it. Try out some Irish guitars. They're different.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

Coveting is good for the economy!

Give in to the dark side...

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4250 shipped
Old 10-08-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Coveting is good for the economy!

Give in to the dark side...
I think the economy might actually do better in the long run with less debt and more thrift . . . but we don't talk politics here.
I suppose I could buy a McIlroy if I wanted to stimulate the Irish economy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Al,

If this guitar player with the McIlroy was able to make wonderful sounds that appealed to you on music you knew well, then I understand your reaction. I don't think it's envy; it's the drive many of us have to do better. Many times we can't help wondering if we are being limited by the tools we use. And I think there is a tendency to wonder if we can buy our way into being better players.

Nothing wrong with playing a well worn, 35-year-old guitar, though. My old Martin D-35, built in 1967, is pretty road worn, lots of dings and worn off lacquer, but it fits like a good pair of old shoes. I used that guitar and my old 1972 Guild F212 12-string in church for almost 20 years and nobody ever once wondered why I was playing those old guitars. They did notice the music, though.

- Glenn
Glenn:

There is something about the sound of a well-played old guitar that is just different. I can't describe it, but I do like it. I might think that I'd look cool playing one, but if I had the opportunity to try that McIlroy, I might decide I don't like it as much as I thought I would. (Happens to me a lot playing new instruments at music stores . . . even expensive ones.) Every time I strum chord on my old Yairi it just gives me a contented smile. It's like musical comfort food.

Last edited by Big.Al; 10-08-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:55 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big.Al View Post
This last weekend, my wife and I did a little fall color drive through a couple of the state forests, starting not too far from where we live. Late in the day, we came across a small church in our denomination and decided to stop in for their Saturday evening gathering. There was just a single musician there, playing a McIlroy guitar. It looked like a small-ish jumbo, probably in walnut. The tunes were mostly ones we do at home. He interpreted them a little differently than we do (which I liked and appreciated) but his guitar playing style was reasonably similar to mine.

His guitar sounded great, with a warm but clear and balanced tone. Its shape and tone reminded me of an old Larrivee L that I wish I never sold. Having a high-end hand-built guitar made him seem like a more serious player . . . at least to me . . . but I may have been the only one in the church who had any idea what kind of guitar he was playing. Last night I went off to my own choir rehearsal with my 35 year-old Yairi. It plays easy and it sounds absolutely fantastic to me, but playing a pretty beat-up (some might kindly say "vintage") instrument now has me feeling sort of second class. I’m sure it will pass, but why do pickers like me get that stupid guitar envy?
Thou shall not covet thy neighbors guitar...
Old 10-08-2012, 12:58 PM

My goal is to be coveted, not covetous.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:08 PM

The fact that you have been playing your Yairi for 35 years is a testiment to the bond you have with that instrument. To keep anything and use for that long is rare, whether it is a car, a tool or a guitar.
If you feel the need to get a new guitar, maybe you try something completly different, like a parlor or a baritone.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big.Al View Post
...Glenn:

There is something about the sound of a well-played old guitar that is just different. I can't describe it, but I do like it. I might think that I'd look cool playing one, but if I had the opportunity to try that McIlroy, I might decide I don't like it as much as I thought I would. (Happens to me a lot playing new instruments at music stores . . . even expensive ones.) Every time I strum chord on my old Yairi it just gives me a contented smile. It's like musical comfort food.
I agree. How a guitar sounds has a great deal to do with how it's played, and we all have different playing styles. You may really have the right guitar for you, and after 35 years, it sounds like it to me.

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion