The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-05-2012, 02:14 PM

Default Bluegrass lessons?

Does anyone know of any good beginner/intermediate bluegrass lessons? I have looked at truefire and homespun tapes and havent found much. I have thought about signing up for Banjo Ben's website but I just wanted to see what else was out there before I do.
early 1930's A-Type mandolin (restored)

Sold:
'07 PRS SE Singlecut
'14 Eastman AC720
Old 09-05-2012, 02:23 PM

One way might be some of the jam CDs. I got one put out by David Grier that is very useful. Gives you a simple melody, a more elaborate solo, and the CD is recorded so you can play back-up and shift into one of the solos.

Nothing beats playing with other people but this is good since David won't come over every night and play with me.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:42 PM

Wink

HPP, just to introduce the OP to David Grier.
As it Rolls to the Sea
Old 09-05-2012, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Pete Wernick's DVD materials and jam camps are very popular. I have a couple of the slow jam DVDs and they are a lot of fun. I think he has them in cd/book form too. Of course there is always Steve Kaufman's materials which there are tons. I'm surprised you didn't see this on the Homespun site.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern View Post
HPP, just to introduce the OP to David Grier.
As it Rolls to the Sea
Beautiful playing.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:02 PM
Eric Skye

In addition to all the great suggestions for websites, books, and DVDs you’re going to get, I’d also suggest finding a teacher in your area, or at the very least find a good playing partner -preferably someone a little further along. There’s probably some beginner (sometimes called “slow” jams) in your area. There’s something about being with an actual person that will give all the info so much more weight, and inspire you. I worked on this music for a long time without ever actually interacting with another player. Then all of sudden I did get to play some others and it all came together in a landslide. Now, I’ve actually play a few tunes with David Grier, Scott Fore, Darol Anger, and a few other of my fiddle tune heroes, and each time there’s just like one tiny little thing that gets said that will inspire me for a few months.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:02 PM

Thanks for the tips so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
Pete Wernick's DVD materials and jam camps are very popular. I have a couple of the slow jam DVDs and they are a lot of fun. I think he has them in cd/book form too. Of course there is always Steve Kaufman's materials which there are tons. I'm surprised you didn't see this on the Homespun site.
You know, I am too actually. Haha I think its because I was on my phone and not my computer and it converts the layout so it is shown a little differently or something. But I will definitely look into those!

Sold:
'07 PRS SE Singlecut
'14 Eastman AC720
Old 09-06-2012, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Default Bluegrass lessons?

You might also want to look into www.academyofbluegrass.com. They have online lessons for guitar, mandolin, fiddle, banjo, etc. and I have heard good reviews. You can record a video and send it in for review of progress, use their online forums, etc.

Todd
Old 09-11-2012, 07:38 AM

I'm a member of Jamplay.com and they have a few courses for Bluegrass.

The two courses I like are the beginner bluegrass lessons with Steve Eulberg and another more intermediate course with mostly songs with Orville Johnson.

I think they have a free trial if you wanted to check it out.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:00 PM

Thanks for all the tips everyone! I ended up ordering the instant download version of Steve Kaufman's Box set from Homespun Tapes. Its 3 DVD's worth of stuff and it starts out basic like I need. The end of the third DVD says it will get into building speed and technique for flatpicking, so it seems to cover a wide range.

I have heard a lot about HT so I decided to give it a try, and so far I really like the lessons. It includes a bunch of TABs to help guide along the way and teaches the basic flatpicking leads of a song and then a more complicated lead version, followed by a rhythm section.

Sold:
'07 PRS SE Singlecut
'14 Eastman AC720
Old 09-11-2012, 06:18 PM

Steve Kaufman's Parking Lot Picker series is very good. Volumes 1 and 2 will keep you busy for a while. So are the Bluegrass Rhythm dvd's.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:10 AM

Thanks for that link to David Grier's playing. That was fantastic, as was the top hat.

I found Banjo Ben several months ago and have learned quite a bit from just his YouTube videos. Interestingly, I just found out last week that he's actually from my tiny home town and his dad and mine were friends for years, until my dad passed away.

A few years ago my dad was telling me about xxxx's son, who can play anything with strings - banjo, guitar, mandolin, and how great a player he was Turns out it was Banjo Ben!

Jason
Old 09-12-2012, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

I found the Pete Wernick Slow/Intermediate jams to be really good, and perhaps more accessible than the Grier CD/book.

On the Wernick DVDs you can set DVD angle to zoom in on the guitar player so that you can follow the chord changes that way. Which is same way you'd do it in actual jam situation with no tab.

That Kaufman 3-DVD set will teach you flatpicking melodies. That's tough to jump right into when playing with others. Timing has to be spot-on. I like getting to know the songs by just playing backup first, learning the changes. The Kaufman "Bluegrass Rhythm" DVD mentioned above is really good for learning backup.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:33 PM

I'm using Rick Williams Jam Tunes. A book of 25 fiddle tunes with play along CD. Intermediate.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Paul View Post
Thanks for that link to David Grier's playing. That was fantastic, as was the top hat.

I found Banjo Ben several months ago and have learned quite a bit from just his YouTube videos. Interestingly, I just found out last week that he's actually from my tiny home town and his dad and mine were friends for years, until my dad passed away.

A few years ago my dad was telling me about xxxx's son, who can play anything with strings - banjo, guitar, mandolin, and how great a player he was Turns out it was Banjo Ben!

Jason
Banjo Ben plays in a group with two of his sisters called Purple Hulls. Check them out on You Tube.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write