The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-25-2017, 11:12 AM

Default Fishman Aura Spectrum DI Preamp Experiences

Sorry if this has been discussed already. Couldn't find much info in a search. I have an 314CE with the older ES. I really like it for some situations but the amplified sound could be a lot better. Anyone using this preamp? How do you like it?

Thanks.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:31 AM

Ops, guess I posted in the wrong section. Newbie... Found some threads. Still interested in opinions. Cheers
Old 07-25-2017, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

CORRECTION: I reread your OP and see your Taylor has the ES1 system. I've tried one of the ES1.2/ES1.3 Taylors I had with the original Fishman Aura Blender Pedal and didn't get much of an improvement in tone. I tried it with the full ES1 soundboard/magnetic sensors engaged and with just the magnetic pickup engaged.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 07-26-2017 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:08 PM

The ES-1 system is a mag inclusive system, so ToneDexter wouldn't be recommended. (Its recommended for piezo pickups only.)

The first generation ES guitars were somewhat inconsistent. Some were pretty solid sounding, but others had an excessively hollow, in-the-well sound. If you have one of the latter, I doubt that the Aura Spectrum will do you much good either.

I recall that some folks got so frustrated with their ES guitars that they retrofitted other pickups. It would be possible to leave the ES system in the guitar (for future resale, possibly) and add a passive K&K Pure Mini or some other passive piezo pickup which would work well with ToneDexter.

Last edited by guitaniac; 07-25-2017 at 11:44 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:38 PM

Oops. Deleted duplication.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I have one but haven't used it in a long time. It should help the tone of your older Taylor's UST (pre-ES 1, I assume?). All you need to do is find the right Aura Image(s) that give you a nice tone. Let me suggest you look at the new ToneDexter device that enables you to make Impulse Response Images, IR, (which is what an Aura Image is) so you can get as closer to the amplified tone you want to hear. Look for the ToneDexter threads in this AGF Amplified section.
Wags

if your Taylor 314ce has ES1, Fishman Aura will not work. Aura is meant for piezo and mainly UST. I have a 414ce from 2011 and the Aura pedal.

I don't remember when Taylor introduced the ES1 but it is somewhere around 2003. Taylor ES2 was introduced around 2014 I guess.

So if your guitar is between those dates: No Aura for you.

Note that Taylor has a program ($300) to upgrade to ES2 that is known to work well with Tonedexter for example.
https://www.taylorguitars.com/support/service-packages

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 07-26-2017, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Wags

Note that Taylor has a program ($300) to upgrade to ES2 that is known to work well with Tonedexter for example.
https://www.taylorguitars.com/support/service-packages

Cuki
Cuki's suggestion here might be the best option, if you really dislike your present pickup. It certainly wouldn't harm the resale value of your guitar, and the ES2 system is a piezo system which would be compatible with ToneDexter, if the ES2 alone doesn't satisfy your taste in tone.

I was thinking about my earlier suggestion of retrofitting a Pure Mini and it occurs to me that that procedure could get complicated if you would want to keep the original jack in the guitar. The Pure Mini has three separate piezo elements whose leads would have to be disconnected from the jack which they come with and soldered to the tip post of the Taylor jack (after the ES1 lead was disconnected).

A retrofit of something like Fishman's AG series undersaddle pickup would be easier as there would only be one hot lead and one ground lead to connect to the original Taylor jack. Still, I think the solution of having Taylor install the ES2 makes the most sense.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:14 AM

Another (of many) negatives regarding an Aura Spectrum/ES1 combo is that the Spectrum only has an available gain of +2db. The original ES1 output signal was rather low and needed a lot of gain applied to get up to line level when running a regular guitar cable out (which would be necessary when running to the Spectrum). As a soundman during that era, I recall that those ES1 signals needed a hefty boost when running a regular guitar cable out to a line input. The power supply for the original ES1 was only 3v (two 1.5v batteries in series), if I recall correctly.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Another (of many) negatives regarding an Aura Spectrum/ES1 combo is that the Spectrum only has an available gain of +2db. The original ES1 output signal was rather low and needed a lot of gain applied to get up to line level when running a regular guitar cable out (which would be necessary when running to the Spectrum). As a soundman during that era, I recall that those ES1 signals needed a hefty boost when running a regular guitar cable out to a line input. The power supply for the original ES1 was only 3v (two 1.5v batteries in series), if I recall correctly.
Mine takes a 9v, same as my 814. The Taylor upgrade seems to make the most sense. You get the "refresh" thrown in as well. I'm not into the 314 that much now and I'd probably get a lot of the $300 back in value added.

You need to ship the guitar to them, I suppose. That makes me a little nervous.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
Mine takes a 9v, same as my 814. The Taylor upgrade seems to make the most sense. You get the "refresh" thrown in as well. I'm not into the 314 that much now and I'd probably get a lot of the $300 back in value added.

You need to ship the guitar to them, I suppose. That makes me a little nervous.
I agree with Cuki. If you like your Taylor but dislike the pickup, the ES2 is an improvement, in my opinion. Some others disagree, so do your homework. By the time you're done messing with various pedals and preamps, you could have sent the guitar to Taylor for the ES2.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:01 AM

I had one and didn't like it with my 314 with ES1.3 or Alvarez with piezo or nylon strings with piezo + mic

The EQ and compression were okay, but I ended up not using the images at all and eventually sold it.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 07-30-2017, 08:43 AM

I don't think the Aura system is meant for anything other than UST pickups. Or at least it's not optimal. The Aura allows you to blend "images" of your guitar model to create a more natural sound. I like it a lot with my Matrix pickups. It helps take out the quack, too. I'm admittedly not all that familiar with Taylor's electronics, but I'm not sure the Aura DI is the way to go.
#3 Album on the Folk DJ Charts Apr 2016
Winners of American Songwriter Magazine's 30th Anniversary Song Contest
"An incredibly promising debut" -Maverick Magazine
www.thedeephollow.com
Old 07-30-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalk View Post
I don't think the Aura system is meant for anything other than UST pickups. Or at least it's not optimal. The Aura allows you to blend "images" of your guitar model to create a more natural sound. I like it a lot with my Matrix pickups. It helps take out the quack, too. I'm admittedly not all that familiar with Taylor's electronics, but I'm not sure the Aura DI is the way to go.

You're correct. In fact, not just any UST, a Fishman Matrix UST. That's how the images are computed. Any other input source is likely to generate suboptimal results.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:19 PM

I'm sending my 314 to Taylor for the ES upgrade. Hate shipping a guitar but with the insurance I'll ok if anything happens.

Last edited by Wags; 07-30-2017 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
I'm sending my 314 to Taylor for the ES upgrade. Hate shipping a guitar but with the insurance I'll ok if anything happens.
It's a shame that Taylor does not offer this upgrade through certified, Taylor dealers. Many of them have techs/luthiers who are certified to work on Taylor guitars. I would 100% upgrade my Taylor to the ES2 if this was the case. My Taylor already had the ES1 holes so it would only be the saddle installation and that doesn't bother me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification