The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-14-2017, 08:57 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
for sure on the 6 side of a chimera. Me thinks the spacing on a 12 string bridge would be problematic. if they can do that the chimera should be a go.
The two rows of bridge pins on the 12 are offset and of course I'm only guessing, but I would think that the strength of carbon fiber would allow for whatever string ball end attachment for a pinless setup as long as there's sufficient room for it on the underside of the bridge. I'm not opting for pinless on my new Chimaera though.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
can you put that bridge on a 12 string. That's where one really needs a 'breezy' way to change strings.
Oh, sure... Alistair and crew make something cool, and somebody always wants more!

I'm considering a custom build with a Corian veneer, 3 nylon strings and 3 steel strings, and electronics powered by a flux capacitor. Orcas inlaid in the neck, with Mother of pearl for the white markings. Back and sides at your discretion, as long as they are powder-coated. Is there an upcharge for any of that?

Old 06-14-2017, 10:02 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Oh, sure... Alistair and crew make something cool, and somebody always wants more!

I'm considering a custom build with a Corian veneer, 3 nylon strings and 3 steel strings, and electronics powered by a flux capacitor. Orcas inlaid in the neck, with Mother of pearl for the white markings. Back and sides at your discretion, as long as they are powder-coated. Is there an upcharge for any of that?

My understanding is that those options will be part of the September Select Series.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:36 AM

Quote:
can you put that bridge on a 12 string. That's where one really needs a 'breezy' way to change strings.
Hi guys,

Thank you for your interest in our pinless bridges, this month's main custom feature on our Select Series. Below are photos of the Chimaera Select Series 6/17 which features a 6-string and 12-string pinless bridge.

A few of you also spotted correctly that we used a different pickup system on the Chimaera Select Series 6/17.

Alistair spent quite a while developing a custom pickup system that we will be rolling out on both the Synergy harp guitars and Chimaera acoustic double neck.

What we have is two LR Baggs Element systems wired together in such a way that you have a volume and tone control for each neck, a three-way toggle switch to allow either neck to be isolated or both on together.

You also have a mono to stereo switch which allows you to have a mono output with everything blended onboard, or switch to stereo output which allows you to split the signal externally for use with a floor pedal or to run to separate amps or effects.

It’s a fantastic system which looks very discreet and functions much better than the iMix. We haven't officially announced it yet, but we have started installing them in the past couple of weeks.

If you have any further questions, we are here to assist you as best we can.

Best Wishes,

Sean

Chimaera Black (Pinless)(C-Carbon) SS_MG_7462 as Smart Object-1 by Alistair Hay, on Flickr
Chimaera Black (Pinless)(C-Carbon) SS_MG_7454 as Smart Object-1 by Alistair Hay, on Flickr
Chimaera Black (Pinless)(C-Carbon) SS_MG_7464 as Smart Object-1 by Alistair Hay, on Flickr

Last edited by Emerald Guitars; 06-15-2017 at 04:54 AM.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:49 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Guitars View Post
Hi guys,

Thank you for your interest in our pinless bridges, this month's main custom feature on our Select Series. Below are photos of the Chimaera Select Series 6/17 which features a 6-string and 12-string pinless bridge.

A few of you also spotted correctly that we used a different pickup system on the Chimaera Select Series 6/17.

Alistair spent quite a while developing a custom pickup system that we will be rolling out on both the Synergy harp guitars and Chimaera acoustic double neck.

What we have is two LR Baggs Element systems wired together in such a way that you have a volume and tone control for each neck, a three-way toggle switch to allow either neck to be isolated or both on together.

You also have a mono to stereo switch which allows you to have a mono output with everything blended onboard, or switch to stereo output which allows you to split the signal externally for use with a floor pedal or to run to separate amps or effects.

It’s a fantastic system which looks very discreet and functions much better than the iMix. We haven't officially announced it yet, but we have started installing them in the past couple of weeks.

If you have any further questions, we are here to assist you as best we can.

Best Wishes,

Sean
Thanks Sean.

My new Chimaera won't have the pinless bridges, but will be equipped with this latest custom pickup system. Pretty cool!
Old 06-15-2017, 08:49 AM

Man, the carbon fiber looks very distinct when it's oriented like that.

Can't wait to get another Emerald.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Adamas View Post
Man, the carbon fiber looks very distinct when it's oriented like that.
It does look much better oriented this way. Probably why Rainsong has been doing it that way for 20+ years.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
It does look much better oriented this way. Probably why Rainsong has been doing it that way for 20+ years.
Actually, I never said it "looked better". I said it looked "distinct" and I'd still take a Woody top over CF any day of the week.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:28 AM
Guest 928

The weave is pretty sweet. As with rugs, there are many ways to make a weave and it's nice having options.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:35 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
The weave is pretty sweet. As with rugs, there are many ways to make a weave and it's nice having options.
True. It seems that Emerald can apply the weave in whatever direction a customer wants. Gotta like that kind of flexibility.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Adamas View Post
Actually, I never said it "looked better". I said it looked "distinct" and I'd still take a Woody top over CF any day of the week.
I didn't mean to suggest you did. As for it being distinct, I guess so, if you are comparing it only to other Emeralds. Either way, I like it.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:08 PM
Guest 928

Ted just said "I like it," while referring to an Emerald guitar. I'm giving him points for graciousness.

I purchased my first CF guitar from Ted. He was great to deal with and I have a lot of respect for his fabulous inventory of guitars and his many contributions to this forum. That I nudge him a bit is also a mark of respect--I would not do it if I thought he could not hold his own or was humorless.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

When I saw the Emerald select series for June...I thought "Wait a minute, my RS is like that" but I still had to go take a look to be sure. I really don't care which way the weave is as long as it sounds good !
Old 06-15-2017, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

OMG - we're talking about RS in an Emerald thread?? So, what direction would we call the weave on one of those with a Black Ice top??

I really like that Alistair mixes it up with these Select Series each month... ya just never know what to expect!
Old 06-16-2017, 12:40 AM

There's a number of ways to make carbon guitars look different. One that I like, too, is unidirectional. I wonder if that is feasible with the Emerald process.
and a guitar-shaped-object

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber