The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-09-2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Hi Robert,

I viewed the initial video of you playing the Amicus right after you posted, but didn't have time at the time to reply and have intended to come back to this thread. I just viewed both videos again. I have to say that your playing is impressive and you get everything out that these guitars can deliver. They sound great in your hands. Both of these guitars are quite small, yet they sound big...amplificarion surely helps. How do you feel about their raw acoustic volume? I've read before that the Amicus sounds mandolinish. I'm not overly knowledgeable with mandos, but I sense that although the Amicus may lean in that tone direction, it's still a unique instrument. The X5, if loud enough would make an ideal travel guitar, though the Journey OF660 may be even better for that.

Btw, nice touch with the prominent display of the Emerald mug. Reminds me of when Kramster sometimes inserts Gumby into his vids.
Hey Acousticado, thanks for the kind comments. I use 2 vintage AKG 451eb mics in stereo for all my acoustic videos. I like the onboard LR Baggs Anthem in live settings but always prefer these mics in a controlled studio environment. So, you are hearing the natural sound of these instruments with some studio reverb added. To my ears, the X5 and Amicus do have a nice warm sound, but of course they sound smaller than say my X20 or some larger guitars because they are physically much smaller. I don't always want a guitar that has a huge sound like my X20. That is precisely why I have all three. Also, the Amicus definitely sounds like a mandolin and I love it. If I were blindfolded and listened to a mandolin and the Amicus I would not be able to tell the difference unless the lower notes of the Amicus were played. It's like a mandolin with an extended range and the tuning of a guitar. Brilliant in every way and it's visually beautiful as well. I truly have nothing negative to say about any of my Emeralds or the company.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
acoustic guitar, amicus, emerald guitar, musicians institute, original