The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-12-2017, 07:28 PM

I've been pining a 12 for a decade now.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

In recent months, I seem to be encountering more "aging" folks (including myself) who are moving to nylon string instruments for their ease of play and mellower tone. Maybe there are not enough of these folks yet to be considered a "trend", but if this gains momentum and demand increases, I would think there could be more nylon string CF guitars hitting the market, though maybe the overall market for CF guitars might not be large enough even then for such a subset of nylon string interest to matter (?). I have yet to see one in my neck of the woods.

I have 4 wood nylon string instruments currently, and they are getting played much more often than my steel string instruments, with the possible exception of my Cargos (the same ones I had from back in the MacNichol forum days). Those are really easy on the hands due to their short scale and low action, not to mention the ergonomic shaping of the body.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 06-13-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
I've been pining a 12 for a decade now.
The only options in the CF world these days are the Emerald X20-12, or used Rainsong's. When Rainsong switched to the N2 neck (different mold process and a truss rod added) several years ago that was the end of their twelve strings. At least so far.....
Old 06-13-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
In recent months, I seem to be encountering more "aging" folks (including myself) who are moving to nylon string instruments for their ease of play and mellower tone. Maybe there are not enough of these folks yet to be considered a "trend", but if this gains momentum and demand increases, I would think there could be more nylon string CF guitars hitting the market, though maybe the overall market for CF guitars might not be large enough even then for such a subset of nylon string interest to matter (?). I have yet to see one in my neck of the woods.
Hi Tony,

Clearly there was enough demand for a travel classical that Blackbird decided to design, and build a new model for that purpose. Rainsong customers have not really asked for a nylon string, but it was a simple matter to offer a nylon crossover using different tuners and bridge, along with a lighter top, so Ashvin made it happen. If aging player do start looking to nylon string guitars, I'm sure the builders will respond. But it will take more than a few phone calls to builders, or starting a thread or two, it will take dozens of potential customers relaying the request to dozens of dealers. So far that has not happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
The only options in the CF world these days are the Emerald X20-12, or used Rainsong's. When Rainsong switched to the N2 neck (different mold process and a truss rod added) several years ago that was the end of their twelve strings. At least so far.....
We just listed a used Rainsong JM3000 on our site, and judging by the number of hits the page got since last night, there is clearly some demand for an RS 12-String, so I would not count out Rainsong just yet.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:48 PM

I was an early adopter, so I'm not counting Rainsong out, but it has been several years. Eight? Ten? Patience has its limits.... I have been ready to click "buy" on the Emerald X20-12 on several occasions.

FWIW I would want a WS-3000 or an OM-3000. The dreadnought and jumbos are too big for me to play comfortably with my bad shoulder.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I was an early adopter, so I'm not counting Rainsong out, but it has been several years. Eight? Ten? Patience has its limits.... I have been ready to click "buy" on the Emerald X20-12 on several occasions.

FWIW I would want a WS-3000 or an OM-3000. The dreadnought and jumbos are too big for me to play comfortably with my bad shoulder.
They discontinued the 12-string only 2-3 years ago, in fact I believe we still had new ones at the end of 2015 in the store.

The WS 12 was popular for sure, but the #1 seller was the Jumbo. When I think of piano like tone, I think of the Rainsong JM3000. The Dreadnought was offered for the first time about four or five years ago by my request, after which time it became a standard model. I actually ended up keeping a DR3100 as a go anywhere companion to my Gibson B45-12.

BTW, I have not discussed this with Ashvin or Dave, but I see no reason why they can't offer the 12-String in the OM as well if/when the 12's are re introduced. Personally, I would love to see a short scale 12-string to increase playability.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:03 AM

The CA GXi is my personal favorite carbon fiber guitar model, and I've never encountered another guitar that can compare to the bass response. I'm sorry it was discontinued, and it's worth nabbing in a heartbeat if one ever pops up on the used market! The GX is also an incredible guitar, and were it more available in guitar showrooms for players to try, I'm confident it would sell more as the transition from a wooden guitar to CA isn't as big a tonal jump as from wood to other carbon fiber guitars in my experience.

Composite Acoustics was my introduction to the carbon fiber guitar world, and although I've owned other great models like the Blackbird Super OM, Rainsong 1000N2, and Emerald X20os, there's something about that CA tone and the ergonomics that creates an intimate connection with my personality and preferences. Other guitars have come and gone after comparison, and I soon came to realize the true high value of the precious gem I've possessed right from the beginning. I can't see myself ever parting with my GXI, especially now that it is no longer offered and is extremely difficult to find
Old 06-14-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonfiberfan View Post
The CA GXi is my personal favorite carbon fiber guitar model, and I've never encountered another guitar that can compare to the bass response. I'm sorry it was discontinued, and it's worth nabbing in a heartbeat if one ever pops up on the used market! The GX is also an incredible guitar, and were it more available in guitar showrooms for players to try, I'm confident it would sell more as the transition from a wooden guitar to CA isn't as big a tonal jump as from wood to other carbon fiber guitars in my experience.

Composite Acoustics was my introduction to the carbon fiber guitar world, and although I've owned other great models like the Blackbird Super OM, Rainsong 1000N2, and Emerald X20os, there's something about that CA tone and the ergonomics that creates an intimate connection with my personality and preferences. Other guitars have come and gone after comparison, and I soon came to realize the true high value of the precious gem I've possessed right from the beginning. I can't see myself ever parting with my GXI, especially now that it is no longer offered and is extremely difficult to find
The GXi was indeed a popular model, but I think some of that popularity had to do with the pricing. As I recall, MAP on the GXi was around 30% less than the GX. Given the same price, I think most folks would have opted for the more balanced GX, but I agree that anyone looking for huge bass response from a mid size guitar, should indeed look for one of these on the used market.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:55 PM

I love my gxi post peavey. But I noticed it wasn't as loud acoustically as wooden guitars when I play unplugged. Now I realize because of the weight it's resonance isn't as much as a lighter wooden guitar. It really comes out because I tend to fingerpick a lot and don't have a lot of strings vibrating at a time.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:27 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPRODMGR View Post
We hear you. Don't forget the first thing we did is completely redesign the existing line. Many improvements were needed and made. Since then, our goal has been to increase our distribution and dealer base. The #1 complaint I get is that people have a hard time finding a stocking dealer to try one out. Now we are doing a re-launch with updated models at SNAMM. There's no doubt we'd like to explore line extensions. A nylon is a good idea, a 12 is always a possibility. An electric is always something in our minds, as is bringing this technology into the bass world. Most people don't remember Peavey innovated the bass world with CF a long time ago. For now we just need many more brand ambassadors like all of you!
Hi Michael, welcome aboard !
I do hope your increase in distribution and dealer base will reach Singapore, in southeast Asia !
We look forward to seeing your re-designed PV-CA line-up in the foreseeable future, know ?
2009 GXi Wine
2009 CA 12-Strings Sun-burst
2010 X-Performer Carbon-burst
2011 Cargo Red

Emerald Soloist
2012 X20-OS Vintage Amber

Blackbird Soloist
2013 Super OM Carbon-burst with italian racing red sound-holes

http://pinterest.com/charming01/carb...forced-guitars
Old 08-01-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPRODMGR View Post
We hear you. Don't forget the first thing we did is completely redesign the existing line. Many improvements were needed and made. Since then, our goal has been to increase our distribution and dealer base. The #1 complaint I get is that people have a hard time finding a stocking dealer to try one out. Now we are doing a re-launch with updated models at SNAMM. There's no doubt we'd like to explore line extensions. A nylon is a good idea, a 12 is always a possibility. An electric is always something in our minds, as is bringing this technology into the bass world. Most people don't remember Peavey innovated the bass world with CF a long time ago. For now we just need many more brand ambassadors like all of you!

Mike, how about if you start by simply making CA Guitars with better quality control in the factory. I bought a Custom COT Legacy and it NEVER played right. I contacted the factory repeatedly as well as Artisan guitars who was the dealer I ordered it through. All I was given was replacement saddles. So now after the guitar has sat in its case for a year and a half becaues the playability is TERRIBLE, I took it out a couple months ago and measured the NUT. It is ONLY 1.69" instead of 1.75" which is what I ordered. I immediately contacted both CA and Artisan Guitars and was scoffed at and disrespected. I then contacted Fred Poole at Peavey who also scoffed at me. I then left a voicemail for Hartley Peavey himself and then about an hour later called Fred Poole again. This time Poole said hte talked to Hartley and they wanted me to be happy and so he told me to send the guitar back and they would send me a new Legacy. I sent it back at my expense and when it arrived at Peavey, they never acknowledged they had it for a week and only after I repeatedly contacted Fred Poole again. So eventually Peavey claimed the guitar does have a 1.75" nut width and sent it back. The guitar DOES NOT have a 1.75" nut width so it is a manufacturing defect which should be covered by the warranty, yet Peavey is refusing to back their own warranty. I can easily prove the guitar was made with a 1.69" nut width so it looks lilke I may have to take legal action over this. I am giving you an opportunity to do the right thing, yet based on past experience with Peavey, I doubt you will.

PRE-PEAVEY CA Guitars were much better than the Peavey made guitars and when Ellis Seal owned the company they backed their product. Why doesn't Peavey???
Old 08-02-2017, 09:20 AM

I see that the other thread is now closed. I am not currently contemplating another CA purchase, but have to admit that this episode will linger in my mind should that become a possibility in the future, and could influence any decision. Good luck, Irishanthem.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
I see that the other thread is now closed. I am not currently contemplating another CA purchase, but have to admit that this episode will linger in my mind should that become a possibility in the future, and could influence any decision. Good luck, Irishanthem.
I have recently acquired a CA/Peavey Legacy Hi Gloss. I am very happy with the fit and finish and tone. I find it sounds very woodlike, has excellent playability after I lowered the action a bit. Very balanced with good sustain. Also very comfortable to hold with the scalloped back and I like the fact that there is no heel at the neck joint. I have no complaint about the nut . I can not really comment on current customer service. I bought this in April. So far I am very pleased with this particular guitar.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:

Before my last purchase of a custom COT Legacy from CA Guitars, I would have highly recommended them. Sadly now I can't do that. I can recommend the Blackbird El Capitan which is Ekoa with carbon fiber reinforcement and sounds and looks like wood. I can also recommend Rainsong CO series with unidirectional carbon fiber tops as they sound amazing. I also believe that the McPherson Sable is a great idea as it looks and sounds amazing and I know McPherson has great quality control and Matt McPherson is a man of great integrity, (Unlike Hartley Peavey).

I question why the other thread about me being unhappy with my Peavey CA Guitars Legacy was closed. I see no reason for this except possibly because of pressure from Peavey for the sake of damage control.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:20 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishanthem View Post
Before my last purchase of a custom COT Legacy from CA Guitars, I would have highly recommended them. Sadly now I can't do that. I can recommend the Blackbird El Capitan which is Ekoa with carbon fiber reinforcement and sounds and looks like wood. I can also recommend Rainsong CO series with unidirectional carbon fiber tops as they sound amazing. I also believe that the McPherson Sable is a great idea as it looks and sounds amazing and I know McPherson has great quality control and Matt McPherson is a man of great integrity, (Unlike Hartley Peavey).

I question why the other thread about me being unhappy with my Peavey CA Guitars Legacy was closed. I see no reason for this except possibly because of pressure from Peavey for the sake of damage control.
Irish, as I mention in your #2 thread, personally I don't think Peavey has had anything to do with it. I see it as a mod(s) discretionary decision.

Last edited by Acousticado; 08-02-2017 at 03:12 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber