The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-21-2017, 07:58 PM

Default Epi LP electronics upgrades

Thinking about finally putting some work into the Epi LP Standard PlusTop Pro I bought a few years back. CTS pots, orange caps, switchcraft toggle, etc- you know, the basics!

Question is, I've heard these Probuckers (PB2/PB3) are actually pretty decent. I'm thinking of dropping in a set of the Duncan APH2 Pros- the "Slash" set- but I want to make sure losing the coil tapping is going to be worth it.

Anybody have experience with a swap like this?
Old 04-22-2017, 04:44 AM

The hardware swap is a nice plus in those. As far as the pickups go, do you like how your current ones sound when you have the controls maxed out? You're getting pretty close to the raw sound of the pickup at that point.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 04-22-2017, 06:51 AM
Guitar Gourmet

When we replaced the pickups in my son's Epi '58 Flying V, we also tried to replace the toggle switch. We found that the two weren't the same size - the switchcraft switch was deeper and wouldn't fit in the Epi control cavity. You might want to check it before you do your de-soldering. Otherwise, the pickups we went with were the Seymour Duncan JB SH-4 for the bridge and a SH-1 59 Model for the neck. We were extremely pleased with the sound of the pickups. The SJ-1 59 can be wired for split if you wish. My review is HERE.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-22-2017, 11:27 AM

Good advice- I've also heard the CTS pots have wider shafts than the Korean pots that are in there now. May have to do some careful reaming to make them work.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandspike15 View Post
Good advice- I've also heard the CTS pots have wider shafts than the Korean pots that are in there now. May have to do some careful reaming to make them work.
They do. I had to ream the holes for the pots on my LP to fit the CTS ones. I think the Switchcraft switch was a drop in replacement, though. I'm a little fuzzy on that last part, though. I updated the parts in mine roughly 4 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 04-23-2017, 07:33 AM

The replacement CTS pots I just put into a Squier P/J were greater in diameter than the originals and hit the side wall of the control cavity. Nothing that a router couldn't take care of, but I second the suggestion of checking your measurements first.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:06 AM
Cocobologist

I upgraded the electronics in my Epi LP Standard Pro several years ago as well. Went with the classic Seymour Duncan JB (bridge)/Jazz (neck) combo for pickups, and then installed the RS Guitarworks "JP" vol/tone pot kit for maximum versatility.

The "JP" (Jimmy Page) setup gives you coil splits on the pickups and phase reversal on the bridge pickup for the Page/Peter Green tone in the middle pickup position. Works and sounds great - Highly recommend!

Link for RS JP Kit...

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars