The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-14-2017, 03:22 PM

Default New amp day... Supro Titan

My new Supro Titan arrived from Sweetwater today. Frankly, I was surprised. I expected this powerful beast and was concerned that it might be too loud and in my face. But it's much more subtle than my alnico blue equipped Fender Pro Junior. It has a similar vintage tinge, but more easily controlled and with much greater range. Simply a great amp.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk
Jonathan Vacanti archtop
Aaron Garcia Ruiz classical
Old 04-14-2017, 04:15 PM

FYI:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=466411

As a new user you might want to check in with Max and Kev - they have very different approaches to (and opinions about) this amp that you may find useful...

Use it well, often, and LOUD...
Old 04-15-2017, 10:43 AM

Thanks, Steve. I checked out some of the other threads when considering the purchase. I am enjoying the amp as is, but will probably add an either a Supro extension cab or, to get a different flavor, an Avalon with a 12" alnico or two.

Jonathan Vacanti archtop
Old 04-15-2017, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkatsonis View Post
My new Supro Titan arrived from Sweetwater today. Frankly, I was surprised. I expected this powerful beast and was concerned that it might be too loud and in my face. But it's much more subtle than my alnico blue equipped Fender Pro Junior. It has a similar vintage tinge, but more easily controlled and with much greater range. Simply a great amp.

Hey congrats ..... interesting and encouraging to hear you say it is also more subtle than your Fender

And to perhaps clear up something. When I agreed with max that it "could" be loud, and that I got an overdrive pedal for when I was playing more quietly. That was not meant to suggest that it had to be loud in order to get great and varied tones and I perhaps should have mentioned ( again with no experience with other amps) that it seems to be incredibly sensitive to the hands and subtle changes in how hard I play and pic attack, even at low volume. Where digging in just a bit more even at relatively low volume begins to drive it or noticeably change the tonal character of the sound.

Steve had suggested to just get the amp and play it a bunch to learn the tonal possibilities prior to getting pedals ( which I promptly ignored ) partly because having played acoustic for 53 years I was already pretty familiar with the tonal change possibilities with just the hands and playing technique.
And also because I wanted to really jump in the deep end and have something really different than acoustic, which is why I got a solid body as opposed to a semi-hollow. Also I had specifically decided to really get serious about playing leads and riffs over some basic chords.... So I got a loop pedal to facilitate that, and I figured a good analog boost and delay would really kick that up a notch.
Although truth be told my practice regime has now developed into playing some chords with no FX, and then play leads with the same picup selection no FX ....then start trying different picup options, then start bring in the drive and or the delay. Needless to say I am knee deep in hog heaven !!!!!!

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 04-15-2017 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:57 PM

Sounds like your having fun. And that's the thing. This amp facilities it. It has plenty of character on its own, capable of really nice clean and shimmery reverb. But my Rat distortion pedal also sounds great with it. If I had to live with only one amp (shudder), I think that this could be it.

Jonathan Vacanti archtop
Old 04-15-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
...Steve had suggested to just get the amp and play it a bunch to learn the tonal possibilities prior to getting pedals (which I promptly ignored ) partly because having played acoustic for 53 years I was already pretty familiar with the tonal change possibilities with just the hands and playing technique...truth be told my practice regime has now developed into playing some chords with no FX, and then play leads with the same pickup selection no FX...then start trying different pickup options, then start to bring in the drive and/or the delay...
Pretty much a condensed version of what I recommended from the get-go, Kev - the man don't lie...

I think you're finding out what I've known since I started playing electric in 1964, that the tonal change possibilities available from just hands and playing technique are somewhat different on electric and acoustic guitar; when you add in the variables of pickup type/output, component values, gain-stage/tone-stack circuitry, transformer size/type/composition, power-stage class, tube types/brands (whole books could be written on this subject alone), bias parameters, cabinet type/size, speaker size/type/number - I'm just scratching the surface here - the possibilities for tonal variety are limitless, even before you begin to add effects to the mix. I moved in classical-music circles during my undergrad years and a couple thereafter, and made the acquaintance of a number of aspiring keyboardists; while a trained pianist could play organ to a greater or lesser extent and vice versa, there are certain elements and subtleties characteristic of each instrument's technical vocabulary - and I personally find it useful to approach electric, flattop acoustic, and archtop acoustic (don't get me started there) with the same mindset, that each is a distinct instrument unto itself...

Use them well, gents...
Old 04-16-2017, 12:51 AM

One thing that I much enjoy with my pretty basic amps is when I turn up the gain, play some chords veeery softly, and dig in to play fills or short solos in between.

The softly played chords are just slightly breaking up but harder single note picking makes the notes sing and sustain.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 04-16-2017, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
that the tonal change possibilities available from just hands and playing technique are somewhat different on electric and acoustic guitar;
Yes indeed I would say pretty big difference actually in simply much greater sensitivity to much more subtle changes, if nothing else. And an amplified result to boot. Wondering why I waited so long.

Quote:
when you add in the variables of pickup type/output, component values, gain-stage/tone-stack circuitry, transformer size/type/composition, power-stage class, tube types/brands (whole books could be written on this subject alone), bias parameters, cabinet type/size, speaker size/type/number - I'm just scratching the surface here
There ya go sailing way above my pay grade At least I have learned what Single Coil and Humbucker actually mean But I do find the discussion fascinating and teaspoons of knowledge are sticking from the bucket loads I am learning.. Just think of me as one of your remedial students

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 04-16-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
...I do find the discussion fascinating and teaspoons of knowledge are sticking from the bucket loads I am learning. Just think of me as one of your remedial students...
If I recall correctly you've got some background in audio, so I'm sure you're familiar with at least some of the principles/lingo - it's really not that much of a paradigm shift. FWIW, I'm by no means an expert: the father of one of my former students (who helped me get my Bugera V22 up-and-running) was a 30+ year tube junkie who designed his own circuits and had his work featured in the hard-core audiophile press, and before he retired I had the pleasure of a couple long conversations with legendary Ampeg guru Dennis Kager (perhaps the last living link to the Everett Hull - Jess Oliver era) - nice guys both, but from the standpoint of technical knowledge they could be genuinely intimidating...
Old 04-16-2017, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
If I recall correctly you've got some background in audio, so I'm sure you're familiar with at least some of the principles/lingo - it's really not that much of a paradigm shift. FWIW, I'm by no means an expert: the father of one of my former students (who helped me get my Bugera V22 up-and-running) was a 30+ year tube junkie who designed his own circuits and had his work featured in the hard-core audiophile press, and before he retired I had the pleasure of a couple long conversations with legendary Ampeg guru Dennis Kager (perhaps the last living link to the Everett Hull - Jess Oliver era) - nice guys both, but from the standpoint of technical knowledge they could be genuinely intimidating...
Well I was feigning complete ignorance just a bit for comedic effect (another pedal I should get perhaps ? ). Audio yes since 1971 but in the purview of sales and installation of high end stereo , which led to critical listening and the nuts and bolts of what kinds equipment will usually yield what kinds of results etc. And then fairly serious digital home recording since 2003 . Then 5 years ago earning a Masters Certificate in "Advanced Music Production in Pro Tools" , from Berklee Collage Of Music. But tech wise, or electrical engineering wise, just the very basics.
For example I heard the terms Single Coil and Humbucker and knew it was the skinny one and the fat one, but as for how they sound fed into a good tube amp that has been an enjoyable revelation

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 04-16-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:04 PM

Pics or it didn't happen
Old 04-16-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Pics or it didn't happen
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=466411 (Post #6)

Saved ya the trouble, Kev...
Old 04-17-2017, 02:08 AM

Default PSA B-Stock Titan

I was just poking about on Reverb and came across this outfit that seems to have a whole bunch of Supro Titan "B-Stock" amps at crazy good prices. They claim that they only have minor cosmetic imperfections. They also have over 1000 positive feedback posts, FWIW.

I thought it might be a good idea to put this up here, given the high interest in these really fine little amps. Get 'em while they're hot!

https://reverb.com/item/4887797-supr...ric-guitar-380

Incidentally, I also noticed that they have some matched tube 'upgrade' kits for this amp; one set is Tung Sol, the other is JJs. The be quite honest, I don't even know what tubes are stock in these amps...anyone checked that out? I'm skeptical that these would be any better than the stock tubes...different, maybe but "upgrade?"...only subjectively.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass

Last edited by maxtheaxe; 04-17-2017 at 02:15 AM.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtheaxe View Post

Incidentally, I also noticed that they have some matched tube 'upgrade' kits for this amp; one set is Tung Sol, the other is JJs. The be quite honest, I don't even know what tubes are stock in these amps...anyone checked that out? I'm skeptical that these would be any better than the stock tubes...different, maybe but "upgrade?"...only subjectively.
First thing I usually do with a tube amp is check out (and typically change) the tubes. I haven't even bothered to look at the Supro's tubes. I need to order a set of spares, so I might have a look when I get back home.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtheaxe View Post
I was just poking about on Reverb and came across this outfit that seems to have a whole bunch of Supro Titan "B-Stock" amps at crazy good prices. They claim that they only have minor cosmetic imperfections. They also have over 1000 positive feedback posts, FWIW.

I thought it might be a good idea to put this up here, given the high interest in these really fine little amps. Get 'em while they're hot!

https://reverb.com/item/4887797-supr...ric-guitar-380

Interesting Max, and hey maybe if some more AGF'ers jump on it, we can have our own little Titan Cult fan club here ..

Those prices seem pretty good only about $30 more than the blowout Sweetwater did .

I noticed also in the link you gave, it listed "New starting at $699" but that's a bit misleading as when you click on it, it's for the matching Extension Cab which is still pretty good especially if it is Canadian Dollars, which would make it $526.30 US again still a good deal from the old list price of $799 USD

I looked on the linked Reverb page but did not find the "matched tube kits" (and now we are getting into my area of ignorance) the Supro websight does not list the actual tube mfg/s I would be curious also to find out what exact tubes are used.

These are the only specs listed.

Class-A (50 Watts)
Independent BASS and TREBLE controls
All-tube reverb
Output-tube tremolo
Silicon Rectifier
4x 12AX7
1x 12AT7
2x 5881 / 6L6 power tubes
1 x 10″ Supro HP10 speaker
19 7/32” x 9 7/16” x 14” – 49 x 24.5 x 36 cm
46 lbs – 21 kg
Blue Rhino Hide tolex

And speaking of the" lingo" does anyone here know what "cathode- biased" means ? And also is there such thing as expected normal tube life ???

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 04-17-2017 at 07:32 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars