The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-12-2017, 01:09 PM

Acousticado, while I slowly responded, you posted the link to Evan's X10N. Thanks, for taking the time to find that. What a gorgeous guitar. The headstock is really beautiful.

One of the things that concerns me is in Evan's reviews. He talks about adapting to different nut widths, necks, etc. Right now, I find fingerstyle on my Eastman E20P to be more comfortable than on my L13. Much less string buzzing against my nails & room between strings. But I'm a noob at fingerstyle, so those issues may go away with experience. The one thing that won't change is both shoulders are sensitive to body size and scale length. Both give me pain on larger guitars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
As far as placing nylon strings on steel string cf guitars, my experience is that tonal qualities are fine but there is a loss of projection, a loss that is compensated for with electronic augmentation.
Evan, I really appreciate your observation on tone vs. projection. Fortunately, I am one of the few (or maybe the only one) who prefer less projection. I only play for myself, never for others, so low volume, projection, cutting through the mix, etc. is never an issue for me.

Maybe I should keep my eyes open for a pre-owned Rainsong P12N. If I could pick one up at a good price, it would keep my risk of trying one low.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:57 PM
Guest 928

Pine;

Before you make a major purchase you might want to first take Sirwhale's suggestion for strings. They are very articulate and, as noted, are an interesting mix of nylon and steel qualities.

I purchased my Parlor on the used market and saved a bundle. When I was looking I ran across several on a variety of sources with the guitar; Reverb, Ebay, and MacNichol.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Pine;

Before you make a major purchase you might want to first take Sirwhale's suggestion for strings. They are very articulate and, as noted, are an interesting mix of nylon and steel qualities.
Thanks for the string tip SirWhale and Evan, I ordered a set this morning for Sunday delivery. I'm hoping they might work in the nut a little better than the set I have on.

Evan, I'm hoping to find a nylon guitar in addition to my L13. I would like to have both voices at my disposal. Once I acquire a nylon guitar, I'll most likely go back to my normal Heritage strings on the L13.

I want CF, as I need to be able to leave a couple of guitars unattended for months in a closed-up home in the Arizona summer heat. 110-120F outdoor temp. Hotter inside. It's no place for a wooden guitar!
Old 01-13-2017, 03:56 PM
Guest 928

Pine;

Living in southern Nevada, I relate to the heat issue. I weather through the summer and have lost my share of dehydrated wooden instruments. Carbon Fiber has made my life better.

Enjoy your hunt for a nylon string guitar.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Once I acquire a nylon guitar, I'll most likely go back to my normal Heritage strings on the L13.[/I]
I see you like the low tension vibe Let us know how the strings go.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 01-18-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
I see you like the low tension vibe Let us know how the strings go.
I purchased the John Pearse Folk PJ116 strings you and Evan suggested. They sound absolutely wonderful. Definitely in-between steel and nylon, as you described. So far, price seems to be the only downside. $25 a set on Amazon. Hopefully, they'll last a few months.

I do prefer low-tension strings. Like many here on the AGF, I have arthritic hands. Low tension strings let me play as long as I like, without too much pain. Another upside will be bends, when I get to those on my journey.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
I purchased the John Pearse Folk PJ116 strings you and Evan suggested. They sound absolutely wonderful. Definitely in-between steel and nylon, as you described. So far, price seems to be the only downside. $25 a set on Amazon. Hopefully, they'll last a few months.

I do prefer low-tension strings. Like many here on the AGF, I have arthritic hands. Low tension strings let me play as long as I like, without too much pain. Another upside will be bends, when I get to those on my journey.
Glad to hear you like them. One day I'll get round to buying some and putting them on my mother-in-law's classical.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber